Is this our best coaching staff of all time?

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in grad school when he was hired. I don’t remember any accolades like that.
Even though he won coach of the year, everyone I saw was confused as to why he was hired.
Homer Rice had a brain fart?

Most wanted O’Leary or Freidgen, but Lewis sold Homer on his recruiting ability and extensive contacts in Georgia high schools. I recall Rice saying WTTEO this in an interview.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Still have nightmares of ugag players yelling out our play calls at the same time our coaches were signaling them in.
Bill Lewis had to have lost his playbook on a visit to see his buddies in Athens before the season.

slugboy

Staff member
Homer Rice had a brain fart?

Most wanted O’Leary or Freidgen, but Lewis sold Homer on his recruiting ability and extensive contacts in Georgia high schools. I recall Rice saying WTTEO this in an interview.
We know a lot of the story: the selection committee was wowed by Lewis’s interview, which included a slide presentation.

But that’s a change of topic—there wasn’t a lot of “wow, what a coaching staff” talk about Lewis; it was more “who are these guys?”

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We know a lot of the story: the selection committee was wowed by Lewis’s interview, which included a slide presentation.

Slide deck, eh? Sounds familiar.

1673832176719.png

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Okay...it's early. Too early.

But I'm curious...we know that there will be a lot of experienced coaches, analysts, and consultants, etc. on the Tech sidelines this coming fall.

And yeah, Heisman, Dodd, yada, yada, yada. Luminaries, I know.

But in terms of cumulative resume strength, how does the currently assembled coaching staff compare to past years?
Well, there is the fact that Bobby Dodd had Frank Broyles and Ray Graves on his staff at the same time. One won championships at Flolrida and the other at Arkansas. Give me a call when we place two assistants in such positions. Look, you ain't gotta have the "greatest of all time" you know. We need good ones. We will see.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, there is the fact that Bobby Dodd had Frank Broyles and Ray Graves on his staff at the same time. One won championships at Flolrida and the other at Arkansas. Give me a call when we place two assistants in such positions. Look, you ain't gotta have the "greatest of all time" you know. We need good ones. We will see.
How many NC did Spurrier win? How about The Man in Black? How'd he do? Were had some damn good coaches come across The Flats.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'm not questioning whether folks left Tech and went on to achieve success elsewhere. Lots did that.

What I'm asking is whether this is the best coaching staff that has ever come through the door having ALREADY accomplished a lot beforehand.

Six have national championship rings (OCBF now has two) as a player or as a coach and one has a Heisman Trophy for good measure.

This is a group that knows what it takes to win it all 'cause they've done it. Not saying they will at Tech, but I AM saying HCBK has assembled a solid brain trust.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not questioning whether folks left Tech and went on to achieve success elsewhere. Lots did that.

What I'm asking is whether this is the best coaching staff that has ever come through the door having ALREADY accomplished a lot beforehand.

Six have national championship rings (OCBF now has two) as a player or as a coach and one has a Heisman Trophy for good measure.

This is a group that knows what it takes to win it all 'cause they've done it. Not saying they will at Tech, but I AM saying HCBK has assembled a solid brain trust.
OK, now that you put it that way, I’m ready to drink the kool aid.

slugboy

Staff member
There are a number of coaches on this staff with NCAA championships. However, Chan Gailey and Al Groh had Super Bowl rings. Gailey pulled an assistant or two with NFL experience.

I think this staff has potential, but they aren’t the most experienced staff we’ve had. Both Fridge and O’Leary won a national championship and coached a Super Bowl.

Key has done a few things in this staff: gotten coaches used to working in a BAMA/UGA environment—the worked in a Saban system; have worked together a bit before, so they’ll gel more quickly; on offense, they are a bit more dynamic

I have some optimism, but the title is a reach.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
You know, if we are talking national championships as the measure of quality the 2008 staff had at least 8 (that I know of) national championships among them…

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Monken, Bohannon, Sewak, and Johnson were all coaches at Ga Southern for both the 1999 and 2000 national championship teams.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are a number of coaches on this staff with NCAA championships. However, Chan Gailey and Al Groh had Super Bowl rings. Gailey pulled an assistant or two with NFL experience.

I think this staff has potential, but they aren’t the most experienced staff we’ve had. Both Fridge and O’Leary won a national championship and coached a Super Bowl.

Key has done a few things in this staff: gotten coaches used to working in a BAMA/UGA environment—the worked in a Saban system; have worked together a bit before, so they’ll gel more quickly; on offense, they are a bit more dynamic

I have some optimism, but the title is a reach.
Let's hope they work well together. I really hope Wienke and Faulkner work well together preparing the team and calling plays.