Is this our best coaching staff of all time?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Off the top of my head

Key - first year head coach; under qualified as a P5 head coach
Weinke - first time OC, less than 10 years of coaching experience
Faulkner - never been a P5 coordinator
Wade - first P5 gig
McKenzie - has P5 experience as position coach
Wr coach (blanking on name) - has been around. Good resume
Sherell - very solid resume for his role/job
Tillman - Ok resume
Coleman - minimal experience but has had some good gigs since starting 5 years ago
Thacker - was very under qualified when he started but knows the ropes here now. Still young and has her to accomplish much

None of that means anything, but experience isn’t on our side. Hopefully they can come together and get a lot out of the players. That is really what matters
Key - mentored by Chan Gailey, Nick Saban
Weinke - Heisman Trophy, National Championship, NFL QB
Faulkner - Offensive analyst for two NC runs

Oh, never mind... 🙄

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Off the top of my head

Key - first year head coach; under qualified as a P5 head coach
Weinke - first time OC, less than 10 years of coaching experience
Faulkner - never been a P5 coordinator
Wade - first P5 gig
McKenzie - has P5 experience as position coach
Wr coach (blanking on name) - has been around. Good resume
Sherell - very solid resume for his role/job
Tillman - Ok resume
Coleman - minimal experience but has had some good gigs since starting 5 years ago
Thacker - was very under qualified when he started but knows the ropes here now. Still young and has her to accomplish much

None of that means anything, but experience isn’t on our side. Hopefully they can come together and get a lot out of the players. That is really what matters
Two things I like about this staff are that most of them have extensive experience working with each other in past gigs, and most have roots in this area. Also, the new analysts have some great high school connections, which augurs well for recruiting. On the whole, they have limited experience at the P-5 level as coaches, but salary constraints have to be taken into consideration. Batt-Man and Brent appear to have done a good job making the most of the resources at their disposal, but we'll see what happens. If the improved attitude and effort carry over from last year, the Jackets should have a pretty good season in 2023 IMO. I still don't understand what he's doing with Semore, but Brent has shown me enough so far that I have faith he knows what he's doing, FWIW.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech's 1952 staff wasn't bad. Head Coach Bobby Dodd; Offensive Coordinator Frank Broyles; Defensive Coordinator Ray Graves - all Hall of Famers!! I saw this team as a kid - one of the greatest Tech teams.
Dodd and Graves both played college football at Tennessee, but Broyles was a Tech man.

At Tech he was three-time all-SEC (twice first-team) and second-team All-America on the gridiron, playing for William Alexander and Bobby Dodd. He was also a first-team all-SEC guard on the basketball court and was respected enough to be Tech’s captain for one season on the baseball diamond. In 1945, he set an Orange Bowl record with 304 passing yards in a losing effort against Tulsa, a mark that stood until Michigan’s Tom Brady broke it with 369 yards in 2004.

Broyles left Tech after the 1956 season (IHMO the last great team of the Dodd era) for his first head coaching job at Missouri.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I think you meant try drinking before you post. Should be a mandatory requirement.
If anyone needs help with that, I’m sure Stech can give some pointers. (One of my goals for the upcoming season is to actually meet him at a tailgate to see if he looks/acts like what I have pictured in my mind)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Key - mentored by Chan Gailey, Nick Saban
Weinke - Heisman Trophy, National Championship, NFL QB
Faulkner - Offensive analyst for two NC runs

Oh, never mind... 🙄
I’m sure he’ll do well, but can we please stop giving Faulkner credit for uGA’s past two championships as if Todd Monken did nothing. Based on what we’ve heard he was the dude relaying play calls between the OC and the QB. Now I’m sure he was doing much more than that, but let’s not act like he was the wizard behind the curtain running the entire show when he was technically support staff and not coaching staff.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If anyone needs help with that, I’m sure Stech can give some pointers. (One of my goals for the upcoming season is to actually meet him at a tailgate to see if he looks/acts like what I have pictured in my mind)
here is my picture ( but it could be my dog not sure)
1673607990255.png

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure he’ll do well, but can we please stop giving Faulkner credit for uGA’s past two championships as if Todd Monken did nothing. Based on what we’ve heard he was the dude relaying play calls between the OC and the QB. Now I’m sure he was doing much more than that, but let’s not act like he was the wizard behind the curtain running the entire show when he was technically support staff and not coaching staff.
I understand and agree.

At the same time, a coaching staff is a team, also. Our new OC (and a lot of our new coaches) have contributed to very successful teams.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
In addition to Artis, Georgia Tech football’s strength, performance and conditioning staff will be rounded out by:

• Byron Jerideau – associate director of football strength and performance/accountability
  • Jordan Diaz – director of speed and associate director of football performance
  • Tyler Smith – assistant director of football strength and conditioning
  • Sean Boyle – performance manager/assistant director of football strength and conditioning
I have no idea if this will be a good staff or a bad staff, but I still laugh every time I read/hear that we actually have a "director of speed!" I mean, really, a director of speed? :ROFLMAO:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if this will be a good staff or a bad staff, but I still laugh every time I read/hear that we actually have a "director of speed!" I mean, really, a director of speed? :ROFLMAO:
this is something I found so it's not my words. Funny thing the first 2 are something we did in High School football and that was years ago. ( I have no idea if this is what we will do.

When you watch a football game, you will notice that players use first-step quickness and reaction on every play. This begs the question: Can first-step quickness and reaction be trained? I am a firm believer that reaction is a skill, and a skill must be practiced repeatedly with proper fundamentals in order to be improved.

The first phase of a reaction-training program comes after an athlete demonstrates the proper ability to decelerate under control. Once this ability has been demonstrated, you can begin to train "pre-programmed" cone drills. The game of football is a game of direction change (angles and short bursts). Some of the movements that are used on the football field are sprinting, shuffling and backpedaling. To mimic these movements and these angles, you can use cone drills.
Cones drills are often times set up in the form of a shape or a letter. For example, the square drill and the L drill are two of the more common cone drills. You can vary the cone distance and the movements that are used when performing these exercises. Cone drills are an example of a "pre-programmed" reaction drill where athletes know exactly what is expected before they run the drill. This drill is great for athletes of all levels when proper coaching is involved. Key coaching points in these drills are: not to round the cones; stick your outside foot in the ground; and maintain proper athletic posture with your butt down, chest up and shoulders back.

The second phase of reaction training is having a coach give a verbal command. As athletes master the cone drills, the next progression is to train reaction to the sound of a coach's voice. Often times, this is referred to as a wave drill in football, wherein a coach instructs the athlete to sprint, backpedal, shuffle, jump or roll. This type of drill forces the athlete to listen for a command and react to it as quickly as possible.
Wave drills are great because they require no equipment. Furthermore, these drills also allow coaches to see how quickly an athlete can process information while moving from one command to the next. Reacting to the voice, along with other reaction drills, should mimic the game of football in terms of work-to-rest ratio, so we utilize about seven seconds of work with 35 seconds of recovery. Key coaching points to consider during these drills are to avoid anticipating the coach's commands.

The third and final phase is reacting to a colored light or colored cone. This reaction is more demanding on the athlete's response time, and therefore we place it at the end of our training progressions. Using equipment such as the fitLight Trainer will allow athletes to be challenged while having fun in a competitive atmosphere. This is a system comprised of eight lights that are controlled by a tablet. As the colored light is triggered, the athlete must react as quickly as possible.
Since most people do not have access to such a system, you can use colored cones instead. Simply set up mulitple cones, each with a different color. As the coach shouts the color, the athlete reacts to that color.