Is the North Carolina win a turning point game?

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In 1987 I was at the Georgia Tech - Maryland game. Tech had lost their first 3 games and were getting beat by Maryland at the half, but there was a feeling that Tech was on the cusp of turning things around. Tech came out a different team in the second half. They stopped shooting themselves in the foot and everything started to click. They won the game 28-24, the students stormed the field, tore down the goal posts and left them on the president's front lawn. With the exception of one slip-up (Spurriers Duke beat them) they went on to win the rest of the games and beat Georgia and ended 7-4. The next year was 1990 and we all know what happened then. Do you think the North Carolina win could be a catalyst like that?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
In 1987 I was at the Georgia Tech - Maryland game. Tech had lost their first 3 games and were getting beat by Maryland at the half, but there was a feeling that Tech was on the cusp of turning things around. Tech came out a different team in the second half. They stopped shooting themselves in the foot and everything started to click. They won the game 28-24, the students stormed the field, tore down the goal posts and left them on the president's front lawn. With the exception of one slip-up (Spurriers Duke beat them) they went on to win the rest of the games and beat Georgia and ended 7-4. The next year was 1990 and we all know what happened then. Do you think the North Carolina win could be a catalyst like that?
I remember that year (Except it was 1989) 7-4 and we still did not make it to a bowl game . As a student watching us beat georgie that year was what flipped me to being Tech as my #1 team. It had been Tennessee before that as I grew up there.

I am not sure we are at that point just yet as the 1989 did seem to have a. little bit better talent

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I will tell you this.... We have to go 2-2 over the next 4 game anything less is a failure. The good news is this georgia tech team is looking dangerous next year. A good DC hire could seriously put this team to the next level. We really need to invest our NIL into the D-line, LBs, and keeping our offense in tact. This is a young team tired of losing, they are hungry and continue to grow in keys first year. I am hopeful the next few games but I am super excited for what next year holds for this team and program.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Love the sentiments but I don't really think so. College football is tilted towards rewarding the elite football factories at the expense of everyone else. It will not change in my lifetime but I was there in 1990 when we beat UGA and Nebraska back to back to win a national championship so there is that. Now, if your question is geared towards can it be a foundation to building a better team, then certainly it could be IF the defense shows significant improvement over the next year and a half. That will be the true catalyst to having a legit top 25 team which may be the ceiling for Tech in this environment. IIWII

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I will tell you this.... We have to go 2-2 over the next 4 game anything less is a failure. The good news is this georgia tech team is looking dangerous next year. A good DC hire could seriously put this team to the next level. We really need to invest our NIL into the D-line, LBs, and keeping our offense in tact. This is a young team tired of losing, they are hungry and continue to grow in keys first year. I am hopeful the next few games but I am super excited for what next year holds for this team and program.
My only concern is there is no let up in the schedule.
Duke (5-3, 2-2 ACC), Florida State (8-0, 5-0 ACC), Miami (6-2, 2-2ACC), NC State (5-3, 2-2 ACC), Louisville (7-1, 4-1 ACC), North Carolina (6-2, 3-2 ACC), Syracuse (4-4, 0-4 ACC), VA. Tech (4-4, 3-1 ACC), Georgia (8-0), Notre Dame (7-2), VMI (3-5), Ga. State (6-2). So every ACC School other than Syracuse is .500 or higher. OOC includes UGA and Notre Dame. And Ga. State comes the week after the FSU game in Dublin. And this will definitely be their Super Bowl. So OOC hopefully 2-2. And then at least 4 wins in the ACC with a pretty strong lineup.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Duke (5-3, 2-2 ACC), Florida State (8-0, 5-0 ACC), Miami (6-2, 2-2ACC), NC State (5-3, 2-2 ACC), Louisville (7-1, 4-1 ACC), North Carolina (6-2, 3-2 ACC), Syracuse (4-4, 0-4 ACC), VA. Tech (4-4, 3-1 ACC), Georgia (8-0), Notre Dame (7-2), VMI (3-5), Ga. State (6-2). So every ACC School other than Syracuse is .500 or higher. OOC includes UGA and Notre Dame. And Ga. State comes the week after the FSU game in Dublin. And this will definitely be their Super Bowl. So OOC hopefully 2-2. And then at least 4 wins in the ACC with a pretty strong lineup.

Georgia State is nowhere near as good as their record and will be worse next year.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Ridiculous iwii at the end. As if there could be no other take on the current environment of CFB. I could easily make the argument the transfer portal has leveled the playing field. TCU played for championship last year. And despite the usual cast of characters at the top this year the gap has clearly closed this year.

UGA for example has lost woukd be starters to Bama, Texas and USC. FSU has a 2 point win over BC. Mighty Clemson is sitting at 4-4. Oklahoma just lost to Kansas.

You may be right but the iwii at the end is ridiculous.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is very little correlation of performance for the mid tier teams from year to year in this age of the portal. This isn’t the 80’s where we know who our returning players are. A year ago none of us had heard of many of our current players. Next September we have no idea who will be on the roster. It’s literally week to week so just enjoy it as it comes.