Is the North Carolina win a turning point game?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Looking over the depth chart again this AM, I am again impressed by how young we are. Here's a sample by position group looking at the top 2 only (unless #3 plays):
OL (10): FR - 3, SO - 4, JR - 2, SR - 1
TE (3): FR- 0, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 2
WR (6): FR - 1, SO - 1, Jr - 4, SR - 0
RB (3): FR - 0, SO - 1, JR - 1, SR - 1
QB (2): FR - 1, SO - 1, JR - 0, SR - 0

DL (8): FR - 1, SO - 1, JR - 6, SR - 0
LB (4): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 2
DB (10): FR - 1, SO - 3, JR - 4, SR - 2

K (2): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 0
P (2): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 0

Total (50): FR - 10, SO - 11, JR - 21, SR - 8

About 65% of the players getting snaps this season are SO/JR. 20% are FR!!! Only 15% are SR.

I take this as a good sign for the future, and part of the reason for the inconsistency we've seen.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Looking over the depth chart again this AM, I am again impressed by how young we are. Here's a sample by position group looking at the top 2 only (unless #3 plays):
OL (10): FR - 3, SO - 4, JR - 2, SR - 1
TE (3): FR- 0, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 2
WR (6): FR - 1, SO - 1, Jr - 4, SR - 0
RB (3): FR - 0, SO - 1, JR - 1, SR - 1
QB (2): FR - 1, SO - 1, JR - 0, SR - 0

DL (8): FR - 1, SO - 1, JR - 6, SR - 0
LB (4): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 2
DB (10): FR - 1, SO - 3, JR - 4, SR - 2

K (2): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 0
P (2): FR - 1, SO - 0, JR - 1, SR - 0

Total (50): FR - 10, SO - 11, JR - 21, SR - 8

About 65% of the players getting snaps this season are SO/JR. 20% are FR!!! Only 15% are SR.

I take this as a good sign for the future, and part of the reason for the inconsistency we've seen.
That's ignoring redshirts and the extra covid year. For example, King is a redshirt "sophmore", but he is currently in his 4th year of college football and already has a degree from A&M.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't call that game a turning point game. It might be an inflection point at which the players believe they can win and see a correlation between hard work, preparation, and winning. However, there were too many mistakes in the game for me to say that the team has now arrived. Some on offense, but multiple, multiple mistakes on defense. Work hard, and execute well in all three phases of the game, and at that point I will consider whether the team is at a turning point.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
True, however the point was more to provide a picture of "years left to play" than absolute maturity.
If only years left to play meant "years left to play for Tech". Unfortunately some guys will graduate early, or hit the transfer portal, so just because they have a few years left to play doesn't mean we can count on them being here as much as we could in the past.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I'd like some of what you are taking.

I hope so but don't think so. We've had too many false starts; but maybe. One encouraging thing is a comment Key made after the UNC game. He said the team came in Sunday after the BC loss and worked really hard. Which he implied was helpful.

So Charlie Brown here says no so fast.
To paraphrase a former president about the economy- "it's like turning an ocean liner, it doesn't happen all at once."
That being said, it seemed to me to be a small step in the right direction. The team seemed to sense that the UNC defense was exhausted, and used that motvation to put the hammer down in the 4th quarter. IMO, they are beginning to learn what it takes to win, instead of just hoping they don't lose.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
To paraphrase a former president about the economy- "it's like turning an ocean liner, it doesn't happen all at once."
That being said, it seemed to me to be a small step in the right direction. The team seemed to sense that the UNC defense was exhausted, and used that motvation to put the hammer down in the 4th quarter. IMO, they are beginning to learn what it takes to win, instead of just hoping they don't lose.
I think the large ship analogy is a good one. I don't see the UNC game as a turning point as I don't think there will be one point where a massive shift occurs. I do see the UNC game as a wonderful win that COULD give the team a lot of confidence that they are on the right track in some ways. But to be honest I don't expect that we will see much carry-over to the UVA game though I fervently hope I'm wrong. I just feel like we're a schizophrenic team at the moment and with so little experienced leadership on and off the field I don't know if we're ready to be consistent, yet. And when I say experienced leadership I mean guys who have been in their current positions for many years (and for coaches their time in the same positions at other schools does count, I don't mean their current positions at GT) who can say and specifically the ones in leadership positions. For players I don't see that guy on defense though it is becoming more clear that Haynes King is that guy on offense.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If only years left to play meant "years left to play for Tech". Unfortunately some guys will graduate early, or hit the transfer portal, so just because they have a few years left to play doesn't mean we can count on them being here as much as we could in the past.
True, but that seems applicable to all teams.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking about this for a bit. If we can improve and be more than competitive and solidly handle Virginia, then yes. Otherwise it is just more of our Chaos Season. We have to learn how to win

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think the large ship analogy is a good one. I don't see the UNC game as a turning point as I don't think there will be one point where a massive shift occurs. I do see the UNC game as a wonderful win that COULD give the team a lot of confidence that they are on the right track in some ways. But to be honest I don't expect that we will see much carry-over to the UVA game though I fervently hope I'm wrong. I just feel like we're a schizophrenic team at the moment and with so little experienced leadership on and off the field I don't know if we're ready to be consistent, yet. And when I say experienced leadership I mean guys who have been in their current positions for many years (and for coaches their time in the same positions at other schools does count, I don't mean their current positions at GT) who can say and specifically the ones in leadership positions. For players I don't see that guy on defense though it is becoming more clear that Haynes King is that guy on offense.
Yikes I realize that while I was typing this out I got distracted in the middle of editing the last couple of sentences and when I went back to the post I thought I had finished my thought but I had not. So here's what the last two sentences were meant to say:

And when I say experienced leadership I mean guys who have been in their current positions for many years (and for coaches their time in the same positions at other schools does count, I don't mean their current positions at GT) who can say they've been there and done that in similar situations, and specifically the ones in leadership positions. For players, I don't see that one guy on defense who is the leader that everyone looks to and rallies around though it is becoming more clear that Haynes King is that guy on offense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking about this for a bit. If we can improve and be more than competitive and solidly handle Virginia, then yes. Otherwise it is just more of our Chaos Season. We have to learn how to win
This is the week the Jackets get off the see-saw, we hope:

From the article:
“It’s not something that we just go out there and just want to do,” wide receiver Malik Rutherford said of the win-loss pattern. “It crosses our mind, but we don’t think about it.”

Rutherford added that, in a team huddle at Wednesday’s practice, Key asked players what they thought the team’s identity was.

“A couple guys said ‘Inconsistent,’” Rutherford said. “And I think that’s something we can all agree on. But that’s something that we’re working towards, working towards being consistent. It’s not an easy thing to do.”

It’s not the sort of thing you want to have team unanimity on, but Rutherford can be appreciated for his honesty. He was asked what made achieving consistency so difficult.

“Just coming to work every day with the same mindset, really,” Rutherford said. “Just not taking any plays off, just watching film, things like that. Coaches stress that on us a lot.”

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
“It’s not something that we just go out there and just want to do,” wide receiver Malik Rutherford said of the win-loss pattern. “It crosses our mind, but we don’t think about it.”

Rutherford added that, in a team huddle at Wednesday’s practice, Key asked players what they thought the team’s identity was.

“A couple guys said ‘Inconsistent,’” Rutherford said. “And I think that’s something we can all agree on. But that’s something that we’re working towards, working towards being consistent. It’s not an easy thing to do.”

It’s not the sort of thing you want to have team unanimity on, but Rutherford can be appreciated for his honesty. He was asked what made achieving consistency so difficult.

“Just coming to work every day with the same mindset, really,” Rutherford said. “Just not taking any plays off, just watching film, things like that. Coaches stress that on us a lot.”
The maddening thing about our inconsistency is that the pattern isn't just every other game, it's also within games. We have a habit of having a very successful quarter on both offense and defense, then collapsing the next quarter. Fortunately, we got the cycle right for the UNC game and had our breakout quarter last.

Edit to add: We will know we have turned the corner when we learn how to keep the hammer down for an entire game and dominate an opponent from start to finish.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We'll want some of those guys to graduate early and/or hit the portal with a few years left to play. It'll balance out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The maddening thing about our inconsistency is that the pattern isn't just every other game, it's also within games. We have a habit of having a very successful quarter on both offense and defense, then collapsing the next quarter. Fortunately, we got the cycle right for the UNC game and had our breakout quarter last.

Edit to add: We will know we have turned the corner when we learn how to keep the hammer down for an entire game and dominate an opponent from start to finish.
Exactamundo. All teams have ups and downs, but this one is an extreme case.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

From the article:

I appreciate his honesty and I think it says that they know who they have been and that’s part of fixing the problem. It’d be hard not to know that but the fact that as a group they acknowledge it is a good thing. To me it means they can attack that problem specifically.

I hope that someone on the defense and someone on the offense take hold of their side of the ball and LEAD. I said earlier I think Haynes King is moving towards being that guy on offense but I don’t see anyone on defense who fits that bill and we desperately need it.