Is the next Duke Johnson or Geovani Bendard....

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is the next Duke Johnson or Geovani Benard on GT's team next year?

Some exciting talent returning and some new talent coming in... I hope one of these gentlemen turn some heads on Grant Field next year!

I know, I know... we have that equivalent at QB, but with option football... the defense can "option" off the QB to some degree

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good question. The good news is, it is a lot easier to "burst on the scene" as a RB than it is at a lot of positions. Our offense might be a little more difficult in this regard, but it is still generally true.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope Leggett explodes onto the scene and tears it up...not too sure how one of the a-backs could become a star...they seem to be switched out too much.

Yup. Most A-backs don't get enough touches. I absolutely loved the B-back tandem of Laskey & Days in the last 1/3 of the season. It proved deadly to our opponents.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Robbie did a good job of breaking out and being used more in the rotation as far a A-Back. Snoddy also showed potential to do the same. The offense can be complicated in knowing motions and who to block/option as an Aback. I think CPJ has shown that he will increase time with significant performance differences.

B Back has a big potential to break out quickly ala Days in 2014.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Abacks might have to step up this year. JT will be getting everyone's attention this year..hopefully it will open up holes for the dive.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't know Giovani Bernard was that flexible. ;)

The answer to your question IMO though is no. Gio and Duke are speedy single set back RB's who can run inside and out. Our AB's never do any kind of inside runs and our BB's, with regards to the pros, would translate better as a traditional I Formation running back with a FB lead blocker. Leggett would be the closest you get but I don't think his game translates to a spread type offense.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would think you would rate these guys as excellent speed, field vision, and agility. They are play makers even when the "system" breaks down.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
not too sure how one of the a-backs could become a star...they seem to be switched out too much.

True, but we also haven't had a true playmaking A-back yet. Can you imagine what our offense would look like if we had somebody like CJ Spiller? I'm pretty sure he'd get plenty of touches both rushing and receiving, and we'd find some creative ways to get the ball in his hands.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Is there any talk about moving Snoddy back to BB next season? Him breaking tackles in the Pitt game makes me think he would be a good one. Although moving him would greatly reduce our experience at AB.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe Leggett at B-Back and Andrews and Snoddy at A-Back will ALL make good RBs and great compliments to JeT. It might be a year where there are some drop-offs with substitutions (unlike this year, which was a big key to our success), but I believe those three will all be very good RBs in our offense. All are legitimate threats to take it to the house. Let's hope they stay healthy and keep at the grind this off-season.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Is the next Duke Johnson or Geovani Benard on GT's team next year?

Some exciting talent returning and some new talent coming in... I hope one of these gentlemen turn some heads on Grant Field next year!
I certainly hope this turns out to be the case. With who's returning, if we can find a reliable WR, I think we could be every bit as good offensively in 2015 (if not better, factoring in JT's continual improvement all the way through the Orange Bowl). Add a more explosive B-Back than we've had the last few seasons, and the offense would graduate from merely mind-blowing to an unstoppable force of nature.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dark horse candidate - Willis. Remember seeing him in for mop up duties in a game (Pitt?) and wondering who was #45. His first few carries were so so but the next couple showed surprising speed and power.