is it time Auburn & Tech renew their rivalry

winston

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love for Tech to start playing Auburn again. One of my best memories was when we went down to Auburn and beat them at their place. I was in junior college (YHC) at the time and was pretty much the only Tech fan that I knew at the school. I took a road trip with a bunch of Auburn and UGA fans thinking we would get slaughtered. I think that Auburn was ranked #2 at the time(2005 I think). Our defense completely dominated them! Rest of the year was pretty forgettable though...
don't remind me . LOL I was at that game that night and you guys made a punching bag out of Brandon Cox that game was the beginning of a rough tenure for Cox as QB for Auburn.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
don't remind me . LOL I was at that game that night and you guys made a punching bag out of Brandon Cox that game was the beginning of a rough tenure for Cox as QB for Auburn.
I was there also. Good game for us Tech folks. Calvin had a sick one-hander down the far sidelines. I remember thinking Cox wasn't going to get up the next morning. Was it Anoi that got him on the backend of a pick?

Thanks for posting and would love to play Auburn every year.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would love for Tech to start playing Auburn again. One of my best memories was when we went down to Auburn and beat them at their place. I was in junior college (YHC) at the time and was pretty much the only Tech fan that I knew at the school. I took a road trip with a bunch of Auburn and UGA fans thinking we would get slaughtered. I think that Auburn was ranked #2 at the time(2005 I think). Our defense completely dominated them! Rest of the year was pretty forgettable though...

That was a fun day. Rugby team went down there in the morning and beat them on the pitch, drank their beer at the bar afterwards (that's hospitality), watched us win, and then drove the school vans back to Atlanta for the party that night because I was a freshman.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Auburn / TECH would be a great series. As far as I can remember it has been a pretty even series so far throughout the years. It is easily drivable for both fan bases.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw some great games with Auburn. '78 when Drew Hill ran back the second half kickoff, '75 when they had Brooks, Cribbs, and Andrews and we still clawed out a win. Of course there were the uglies - '84 when we were down 41-0 at halftime and would have been worse except we had a goal line stand and that was with most of the Black Watch on the field. We scored 5 straight TD's in the second half and I was thinking 42-41, but they hit a long TD pass late and broke our hearts. Then there was '85 when we contain Jackson all game except for a 4th qtr 70+ TD run to again break our hearts. That was the fastest I have ever seen a RB turn the corner and go the distance, not sure Snoddy would have touched him. Was at Auburn for our last game with them, and it was fantastic. Worked with lots of good Auburn people over the years. Great crowds at Auburn, sorta Clemson-lite. Put them back on the schedule and drop the damn leg humpers.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Saw some great games with Auburn. '78 when Drew Hill ran back the second half kickoff, '75 when they had Brooks, Cribbs, and Andrews and we still clawed out a win. Of course there were the uglies - '84 when we were down 41-0 at halftime and would have been worse except we had a goal line stand and that was with most of the Black Watch on the field. We scored 5 straight TD's in the second half and I was thinking 42-41, but they hit a long TD pass late and broke our hearts. Then there was '85 when we contain Jackson all game except for a 4th qtr 70+ TD run to again break our hearts. That was the fastest I have ever seen a RB turn the corner and go the distance, not sure Snoddy would have touched him. Was at Auburn for our last game with them, and it was fantastic. Worked with lots of good Auburn people over the years. Great crowds at Auburn, sorta Clemson-lite. Put them back on the schedule and drop the damn leg humpers.
Nobody touches Bo when he turned the corner. Prime time might get close, but that's about it.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a fun day. Rugby team went down there in the morning and beat them on the pitch, drank their beer at the bar afterwards (that's hospitality), watched us win, and then drove the school vans back to Atlanta for the party that night because I was a freshman.

Your post reminded me....that was a fun day. It was opening weekend for dove season and I went down to Vienna for a hunt. I shot a box. It was hot. Got befriended by a good group if guys who shared their farm with me. Left Vienna about 4:00, birds and beer on ice, for Auburn. Hit the tailgate about 1.5 hours before kickoff. Friends had access to the Bud Light tour bus. Tech whooped AU and I drove back to Marietta. May of even made it to church the next morning.

Strong weekend.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Join the SEC for football. Stay in ACC for the rest of the sports.

I'd like to see Auburn and Alabama on our schedule. Better than Wofford and GSU and Tulane.

Agree.

Football-wise, I like the SEC because of the marquee matchups and historical rivalries. I think having Auburn, 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida, USC, etc. coming to BDS would raise GT's profile by association and help us with more sellouts (which means more $$$ for our program) and better recruiting.

Everything else though the ACC is a far better fit. Academically, the vast majority of the schools in our conference fit what GT is: schools with world-wide reputations for academic excellence. The other sports the ACC is either the best or one of the best conferences for so it's GT is helped there.

ACC just needs an influx of better coaches in football...similar to what the PAC10 did. The ACC is in a recruiting rich region, perhaps the best recruiting region, and we're 2nd only to the SEC in talent that goes to the NFL. No reason the ACC shouldn't be a lot better at football all around. Hopefully FSU winning the national title will be a "raise all boats" moment for the ACC.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Your post reminded me....that was a fun day. It was opening weekend for dove season and I went down to Vienna for a hunt. I shot a box. It was hot. Got befriended by a good group if guys who shared their farm with me. Left Vienna about 4:00, birds and beer on ice, for Auburn. Hit the tailgate about 1.5 hours before kickoff. Friends had access to the Bud Light tour bus. Tech whooped AU and I drove back to Marietta. May of even made it to church the next morning.

Strong weekend.
Damn what a day, other than it wasn't "Argentina like". Of course you prolly left when the birds started flying. Gonna get the brown top in the ground the next week or two.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Damn what a day, other than it wasn't "Argentina like". Of course you prolly left when the birds started flying. Gonna get the brown top in the ground the next week or two.

That's awesome! The guys had planted millet and there was a power line spanning the field. We saw a lot of action, but I'm not a great shot.

You're right...we had barbecue around noon before the shoot. I had to carefully make my way out of the fields. A couple of guys who were real good shots gave me a few extra birds to take so they could still shoot. My wife and I had a great Sunday supper. Wrapped them in bacon. Any cooking suggestions?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC that was about the only big play Jackson ever had against us. They had a FB named Agee that was the big hoss in our games. Of course, the only reason Agee ran wild was because we were so focused on Jackson. Would love to see Jackson's run again. Anybody got a link?

PatrickinGa

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd like to see this schedule

vs. Auburn (Georgia Dome)
vs. Georgia State
at. Georgia Southern
at Virginia Tech
vs. Miami
vs. Duke
at North Carolina
at Pittsburgh
vs. Virginia - Homecoming
at Notre Dame
vs. Clemson
at Georgia

And, on a regular basis playing this schedule, how many average # of wins per season do you expect?

winston

Georgia Tech Fan
I was there also. Good game for us Tech folks. Calvin had a sick one-hander down the far sidelines. I remember thinking Cox wasn't going to get up the next morning. Was it Anoi that got him on the backend of a pick?

Thanks for posting and would love to play Auburn every year.
hmmm don't remember I do know yall sold the blueprint on how to rattle Cox the LSU & Wisconsin games that year were just as bad . after that game everyone knew all they had to do was pick off 1 or 2 passes from Cox and the poor guy would be clueless. I think it was 5 INT's in that game and I know he fumbled atleast twice because one of the fumbles occurred during the final minutes