Is Georgia Tech football in better spot today (2018) than when you started 2008?

Is the Georgia Tech football program in better spot today (2018) than what you inherited in 2008?

• Yes

Votes: 89 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I also forgot that we did all these improvements without the massive TV deal's of other conferences and having to pay out terrible contracts to basketball coaches.

I get flamed whenever I say it, but Tech basketball has singlehandedly held the entire Athletic department back for the past decade.
Who flames you for that?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can honestly say that after we wasted Calvin’s 3 years Under Chan’s boring *** offense I didn’t go out of my way to watch in 2007. I was on the fence in 2008 but once we rolled Miami I was hooked. Then the UGA game happens, then 2009 and I was back. You think this offense can be boring then you’re a fool. The Chan years were the most boring football and wasted amount of talent I have ever seen. That alone makes me scared of what could happen if we fire PJ. So yea, I thing were in a better place with what we have to work with.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
#ASKCPJ
Is the Georgia Tech football program in better spot today (2018) than what you inherited in 2008? #MakeTechFootballGreatAgain #TogetherWeSwarm #3stripelife
From a win/loss point of view we are in basically the same place. What has improved is graduation rate for our players, and a great intern and job placement program to help all of our 2 and 3 star non-NFL students be successful in the 40 years after Tech.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is there no middle ground lol? Somethings are better some are not. Back then we were on par with others in funding, now we are not. However, the facilities are much better now. I think this would be a better question in 2 more years and the answer then would probably be %100 yes.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Over the span of 10 years, I’d say yes because of the two wins over UGa and the two Orange Bowl appearances.

But I’m not as optimistic for our program over the next year or two as I was when CPJ came onboard. The talent gap between us and our conference rivals appears to be widening. IMO this is due to the Flexbone effect (kids don’t want to play in it or against it) and the relatively narrow range of GT’s degree offerings. So it goes. Now beat Duke.

Here is what you need to consider when this question is asked, is Georgia Tech better now and is the ACC harder now. Back in 2008 Our main nemesis was Va Tech. Today it is Clemson and Miami. I think if you looked at most of the teams we play in the ACC you could say UNC and UVA and Fla State are worse. There was no Pitt or Syracuse or BC back then. Clemson was very good but beatable. I think you have to take it as the whole. But bottom line, We have beatenn Georgia 3 years and we are 3-2 against Florida State.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Over the span of 10 years, I’d say yes because of the two wins over UGa and the two Orange Bowl appearances.

But I’m not as optimistic for our program over the next year or two as I was when CPJ came onboard. The talent gap between us and our conference rivals appears to be widening. IMO this is due to the Flexbone effect (kids don’t want to play in it or against it) and the relatively narrow range of GT’s degree offerings. So it goes. Now beat Duke.
It hurts recruiting I agree

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
From a win/loss point of view we are in basically the same place. What has improved is graduation rate for our players, and a great intern and job placement program to help all of our 2 and 3 star non-NFL students be successful in the 40 years after Tech.
Haha

2018 Better:
-Facilities?

2008 Better:
-Recruiting
-Attendance
-Overall talent on the team
-Team W/L record (2008 team >> 2018 team)
-Overall atmosphere and excitement surrounding the team

CPJ inherited a great team. If he were to retire at end of this season, next coach wouldn't have nearly the amount of talent that CPJ did in 2008.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
2018 Better:
-Facilities?

2008 Better:
-Recruiting
-Attendance

CPJ inherited a great team. If he were to retire at end of this season, next coach wouldn't have nearly the amount of talent that CPJ did in 2008.
True

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
we also have stood up a recruiting center or team on the past six months....
Sorry, coach, but I have no clue what you just said. Stood up a recruiting center? Stood up a recruiting team? Help me out here, I’m lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m convinced that those who answer “yes” to this question are either
(a) Chan Gailey
(b) only began following GT football 3-4 years ago OR
(c) trolling

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
2018 Better:
-Facilities?

2008 Better:
-Recruiting
-Attendance

In football as in politics apparently this guy's win is always the last guy's team.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I’m convinced that those who answer “yes” to this question are either
(a) Chan Gailey
(b) only began following GT football 3-4 years ago OR
(c) trolling

You would be wrong. Following the the team since 1987. I have seen some real lows and I can see both the good and the bad of our current situation.

Most people dont seem to talk about what I think is the offenses biggest weakness. Every year it takes a while to get good. (The O starts cranking when the leaves turn) Well that causes us to lose some dumb early games without a good defense. But there is rarely a better O in all of college football onces things get going.

So I want this offense, but I want to see how CNW can do once he is going. The combination of the two should be fantastic

Looks like another case of a strong silent majority and few squeaky wheels. Over 70% think we are better off now.

Question should be asked again at the end of the season. If the recent 2-game winning streak translates to a turnaround, 8-victory season with a win over the mutts/Miami and a decent bowl, I think the answer would have to be Yes. If we end up with our 3rd losing season in 4 years and yet-another missed bowl, only the delusional will think we're in a better spot today.