Is David Shanahan human?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I like Shanahan, he’s got a good leg. But I haven’t seen him showcase any kind of touch/placement. Zero punts downed inside the 20 so far.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like Shanahan, he’s got a good leg. But I haven’t seen him showcase any kind of touch/placement. Zero punts downed inside the 20 so far.
I agree but to be fair, I am unsure that he has ever even played in an actual game before. IIRC, he just went to a camp somewhere in Australia to learn how to punt. If so, that would be like a golfer who never played 18 holes and only hit balls on a driving range jumping straight into a golf tournament. There ARE some things that cannot be experienced or simulated in practice. If you don't believe me, ask Alan Iverson. ;)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He’s never played American football. He’s been incredible so far for having zero experience. He’s gonna play on Sundays one day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Guy's still learning. Give him time.
He’s never played American football. He’s been incredible so far for having zero experience. He’s gonna play on Sundays one day.
His story is pretty remarkable. Basically learned to kick from a book before getting coaching.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Good thing he's got 3-2/3 more seasons to work on that.
I mean, sure if he’s not your starting punter (not saying I don’t want him to be). Just saying over the next 3.5 years, we’re not in a position to let our starting punter take his time in learning how to down a punt inside the 20. We’re not a kicking camp.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, he’s got the natural physical tools. Just not enamored yet with a 55 yard punt that consistently nets 35.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean, sure if he’s not your starting punter (not saying I don’t want him to be). Just saying over the next 3.5 years, we’re not in a position to let our starting punter take his time in learning how to down a punt inside the 20. We’re not a kicking camp.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, he’s got the natural physical tools. Just not enamored yet with a 55 yard punt that consistently nets 35.
We’ll, I’m pretty sure that’s not what we’ve been getting. There’s been some of that. There’s been some 35 yard kicks. There’s been several that are net 40 or 45. It’s been pretty much as I expected with a true freshman.

Not calling you a jerk. I just think it’s early to worry about that type of stuff yet.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yep, it's not like you can spare developmental positions for all your kickers so that they can get experience. Just don't shank it and get better at the placements over time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Article that touches on Shanahan's ability to punt with both feet (credit to his Gaelic football background), and the variety of styles he can punt. Article also highlights how much of a family environment CGC fosters, and how it's made Shanahan's transition to the US easier: