Is David Shanahan human?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I had been wondering about the legitimacy of Collins' claims that our punter could rugby left and rugby right. Then Shanahan rugby'd right and booted it 40+ yards. Incredible.

Has there ever been an ambidextrous punter at a competitive level before?
I don’t recall seeing it. Agreed I thought it was fluff then, boom. Luck ‘o the Irish ☘️

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I had been wondering about the legitimacy of Collins' claims that our punter could rugby left and rugby right. Then Shanahan rugby'd right and booted it 40+ yards. Incredible.

Has there ever been an ambidextrous punter at a competitive level before?
Not sure. I was impressed by the right legged kick as well an wondered at the time if Shanahan was hurt.

Not sure if he throws right or left, but the fact he can kick both legs opens up some fun punt fake options in the future!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not totally relevant to the discussion here....but I wanted to ask. Did I see Shannahan punt with both feet during the game? It seems that the blocked punt was with his left and that he kicked with his right on the next punt. Maybe I had too much to drink!

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Not totally relevant to the discussion here....but I wanted to ask. Did I see Shannahan punt with both feet during the game? It seems that the blocked punt was with his left and that he kicked with his right on the next punt. Maybe I had too much to drink!
I can't recall if he used both feet specifically but I do know that he did a rugby punt left AND right. I think it would be very difficult to do a rugby punt to the right with your left foot... so I think he did use both.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
He does need to learn how to act when he's hit however.

Soccer Player GIF

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I can't recall if he used both feet specifically but I do know that he did a rugby punt left AND right. I think it would be very difficult to do a rugby punt to the right with your left foot... so I think he did use both.
Yes, his standard punts were left footed and the Rugby punt when he rolled right was right footed.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just as long as he doesn't try to use both feet on the same punt.

...although, I gotta admit, it would make a great "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" moment....
Right! He definitely used each foot to punt at different times. I don't see how he could punt a ball with both feet.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Super powers always come with one crappy side effect. His is the power to turn obvious roughing calls into "running into" the punter flags.

Sucks. It's like going impotent along with the power of flight. What? Yall never wondered why there weren't little super, Clark Kent looking mfers running around all over the world?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has mentioned that BLOCKED punt early.What a MESS.It looked like our biggest blocker was a TE. The rest were DBs? They just overloaded and came. BAD BAD coaching.It could have made a big difference in game.
btw--do we have ANYONE that can drop a punt inside the 10 ? Shanahan sure can't.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
David Shanahan was playing GAA football for Kerry before picking up punting. The footballers are impressive and the average player can easily kick a ball out of a solo through some uprights from 40yds no-problem. Now that he’s able to practice on a football field and not just on his uncle’s dairy farm, I expect he’ll learn some touch and figure out how to control distance and figure out how to land the ball as he gains more experience.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched the replay on ACCN. Shanahan kicked with both legs on straight up non-rugby kicks. 11:26 1st qtr left leg - blocked. ****ty incompetent blocking.
8:27 1st qtr right leg long
8:57 2nd qtr leg long and roughing incorrectly not called. He needs to learn how to act like a futbol player.

The rest of the punts weren't shown since those **** ******* ******** at ACCN prioritized every commercial over showing all the plays. Last time I ever miss recording the game and wait for the replay. Stupid on my part. Couldn't even fast forward through the commercials.

Our ST are much better this year overall. We are now not trying to return KOs inside our 10. And kicking off into the end zone. And having good coverage on punts that aren't blocked.

I think Shanahan is a good punter already. As he is a Fr, I am really happy about how good he can get.