Is college football near the end as we know it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Animal02

Banned
https://www.latimes.com/california/...athlete-endorsement-deals-ncaa-california-law

California became the first state to require major financial reforms in college athletics on Monday after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law a measure that allows players to receive endorsement deals, despite the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. calling the move unconstitutional.

End of college sports or the end of NCAA ?
Could very well.......if it becomes a mad rush WRT money.....I can see about a third of the FBS teams saying **** it and drop a level. The NCAA has not helped by turning a blind eye to the under the table stuff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But would this hurt Tech ?

Honestly, the current system hurts GT as well. Go to our basketball forum and read how bluebloods are getting away with paying players, housing their parents, and lord knows what else...all the while our bball team gets a postseason ban for taking a recruit to a strip club and a few hundred dollars. It's absolutely insane the whipping boy GT has become.

Could be that GT becomes attractive because of the marketing and business partnership potential Atlanta can offer SAs. Who knows, but I do know the NCAA as we know it is on its last legs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
https://www.latimes.com/california/...athlete-endorsement-deals-ncaa-california-law

California became the first state to require major financial reforms in college athletics on Monday after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law a measure that allows players to receive endorsement deals, despite the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. calling the move unconstitutional.

When athletes are getting paid, I will switch to the NFL. The players and quality of play is better and the League does more to ensure parity than any other sports league amateur or professional.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I think so, on both levels (end of college football as we know it, and it hurting Tech football). I don’t think most programs could support paying athletes (would have to pay all athletes, even non-revenue generating). Or if they left it at allowing players to be able to receive compensation for their likeness/endorsement, many programs have more donors willing to throw money at big time recruits for bogus “endorsements”, or even just pay them large sums for something as simple as their “autograph”. I don’t think Tech will be able to do/would do either of those.

Deleted member 2897

If the NCAA enforced its rules, it’s the end of college sports in California. If the NCAA allows cheating (according to their rules) in California, it will be the end of the NCAA. Which would be a great thing IMHO.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not reading this as the schools are paying the players, but if the school sells a CURRENT players jersey, that player will be paid a %. The athletes will be able to become spokesmen for this car dealership or that local burger place. How many players will this impact?

The way I see it now, it won't change much. The bill doesn't take effect for a year or 2, which gives the NCAA plenty of time to figure out a way for them to stop it.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think Little League,Middle School,High School,College Football and NFL football because of the issues concerning concussions and brain damage will pretty much not exist within 20-30 years with more and more parents not letting their children play football out of fear of head injuries and brain damage and lawsuits concerning head injuries and brain damage. With fewer and fewer parents allowing their children play football in the future it could very well open the door for the Government banning football along with other violent sports like boxing,mixed martial arts and ultimate fighting along with amateur and pro wrestling. If i had sons i wouldn't let them play football.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This will make the playing field even more uneven.
I read an article stating that there are currently only 10 teams in the mix to win the National Championship this year ... think of that for a second, we are only 1/3 of the way through the season and out of 120 (or so) D1 teams, only 10 are still alive.
And, most all of us could name all 10 teams without any trouble ...

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
This will make the playing field even more uneven.
I read an article stating that there are currently only 10 teams in the mix to win the National Championship this year ... think of that for a second, we are only 1/3 of the way through the season and out of 120 (or so) D1 teams, only 10 are still alive.
And, most all of us could name all 10 teams without any trouble ...
The way to combat that would be for the NCAA make a new DlAA and call it something like FBS ll

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
But would this hurt Tech ?
I think this will open up the old paying players argument. Example: Nike pays a school for a quarterback's image and jersey number. He starts raking in money. The other players that are helping him to be his best (linemen and receivers) begin to complain and lawyers get involved. Everyone on the team starts to get paid. End of the NCAA or a remake of the organization. Teams like Georgia Tech and about 75 others are not able to keep up. So the rich teams get into bidding wars for recruits and maybe even transfers. We probably won't play teams like Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, anymore in football and new classifications are set up which would level the playing field. Then you get into basketball. It could really get weird.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
NCAA and NFL/NBA should allow players to go directly into their respective professional sport at age 18. Politicians should stay out of this issue.

The big 5 in pro sports, yes including the MLS now, should follow what baseball has done. If you're good enough to be drafted you're drafted. If you still want to go to college then you can't go through the draft process again until you're a junior. Let the LeBron James type kids go, but give the other kids an out. It'll never happen for football, because of the injury risk.

To that I say, I can be working at a gas station at 18 years old and get shot in the leg. I can be driving into the city for work at 21 and get in a horrible car crash. Whats the difference from that and a guy who can run fast tearing up his knee? Life happens and sometimes it sucks. But a college degree and college experience (not the drinking part my Jolly Good Fellows) will go a long way in helping you overcome obstacles in your way.

Scubapro

Banned
How much money does the NCAA make on merchandise and TV licensing?
Take that money and divide it up evenly among all the players. There, players got paid.

Someone posted a while back about how the perennial top twenty teams in generating revenue for the NCAA get slapped on the wrist for violations.
The exception being Southern Cal...but everyone else gets handled with kit gloves while teams like us get clobbered.
This tells me the NCAA will protect their cash cows when possible.

My point is the NCAA is corrupt and maybe a huge shift is needed. The objective was to keep all schools on a level playing field. This will destroy any semblance of that and kill college athletics.

I dont know how all of this will end up shaking out....but if involves raising money we are hosed.