Is college football near the end as we know it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If it’s already happening, then there’s no harm in the rule change(s).

It’s happening because there is no strategy. Would you be happy with a college football system that is fundamentally disconnected from the school?

There is no prescribed organization. TN has an athletic dept as part of the school. GA law prevents this. So there is no national method to deal with it.

In the short run, kids will make some dough. Long run? I’m very pessimistic system will survive.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It’s happening because there is no strategy. Would you be happy with a college football system that is fundamentally disconnected from the school?

There is no prescribed organization. TN has an athletic dept as part of the school. GA law prevents this. So there is no national method to deal with it.

In the short run, kids will make some dough. Long run? I’m very pessimistic system will survive.
A college football system independent of college is not a college football system.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A college football system independent of college is not a college football system.

No kidding. But we systematically disassembling it all in the interests of "fair share" of the "profits" and creating more of a free agency system. We need a system that IS tied to colleges. And to academics.

There is going to be a major shakeout coming. Trees don't grow to the sky.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. But we systematically disassembling it all in the interests of "fair share" of the "profits" and creating more of a free agency system. We need a system that IS tied to colleges. And to academics.

There is going to be a major shakeout coming. Trees don't grow to the sky.
Not a single proposal deals with sharing in profits; they are exclusively related to name and likeness payments. The schools themselves would never stroke a single check (though I would have no issue if the they did).

I think a pretty strong argument that the players are enrolled in school and must maintain minimum grade point averages shows that the system is tied to college and to academics, and no one is seriously proposing otherwise.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

It all depends on cord cutting and streaming revenue.

If ESPN and the other TV sports providers can keep the revenue flowing from consumers to cable & streaming providers, then to ESPN& networks, then to the conferences & teams,
then somehow things will get settled, too much money involved right now not to work it out.

If everybody cuts cable and drops the sports packages, all bets are off.

I think will it last long enough to see me to the nursing home, call it 20 more years. Once all us baby boomers are gone, it'll be up the creek.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Most fonts here are acting like there was a choice in this. There wasn't. The courts would never allow the NCAA to act like MLB; they aren't at all similar. Trying to get out in front was their only choice. All a student would have to do is sue. If that had happened, I doubt that the case would have ever got to trial.

That said, I agree that there will be repercussions from this that we can't foresee. But that goes for almost anything involving colleges. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not a single proposal deals with sharing in profits; they are exclusively related to name and likeness payments. The schools themselves would never stroke a single check (though I would have no issue if the they did).

I think a pretty strong argument that the players are enrolled in school and must maintain minimum grade point averages shows that the system is tied to college and to academics, and no one is seriously proposing otherwise.

Not a single proposal deals with sharing profits … yet.

Do you think players will be happy and this will end it? I think not. I think this is the first step towards a broader change.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This whole thing is crazy! All the proceeds the players receive should go into a pool and distritributed even to ALL players that are on a team during the season. If it wasn't for ALL the players, college football wouldn't exist and no one would make any money as amateurs.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This whole thing is crazy! All the proceeds the players receive should go into a pool and distritributed even to ALL players that are on a team during the season. If it wasn't for ALL the players, college football wouldn't exist and no one would make any money as amateurs.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Exactly. None of these guys play in a vacuum. It's a team sport. The flashy running back isn't going anywhere unless he has some grunts on the offensive line blocking for him. The Heisman Trophy candidate QB isn't going to be famous without his receivers, the line, the whole cast.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
College sports isn't a free market as long as title 9 exists.

A free market would look something like this: Since gender is now irrelevant, just have one team in each sport for whoever is best capable, and that sport only exists if it can support itself economically (tickets, tv, donations, etc). If there is money to spread around in that sport to participants for scholarships and stipends, so be it. No sport is obligated to support any other. Is this where we really want it to go? I sure hope not.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There’s an ad running now for a US Amateur golf champion, “When au was winning the Amateur golf championship, Imperial headwear was key to my success. It kept my head cool under pressure ..” or something like that. Ridiculous.

“After I play for the Yellow Jackets, I head over to the Cheetah Lounge for entertainment and 88 dancers. The best in food and Las Vegas Style entertainment. And I do it driving a Pugmire Ford. The cup holder is big enough for my 44 oz. soft drinks from Pepsi. Which goes great with this bag of Cheetos.”

The future of college football.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
College sports isn't a free market as long as title 9 exists.

A free market would look something like this: Since gender is now irrelevant, just have one team in each sport for whoever is best capable, and that sport only exists if it can support itself economically (tickets, tv, donations, etc). If there is money to spread around in that sport to participants for scholarships and stipends, so be it. No sport is obligated to support any other. Is this where we really want it to go? I sure hope not.

Title IX has been a wonderful thing for women's sports. Money isn't everything, and the free market needs regulation to work for all.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Title IX has been a wonderful thing for women's sports. Money isn't everything, and the free market needs regulation to work for all.

It has been a boon to women's sports, and the worst thing that ever happened to men's non-revenue sports.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It has been a boon to women's sports, and the worst thing that ever happened to men's non-revenue sports.

That's true - an unintended negative consequence. But overall I think it's been good for gender equality in college sports. It would be good if it were amended in some way to allow for the inclusion of some of the men's sports that have been dropped, like wrestling.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Not a single proposal deals with sharing profits … yet.

Do you think players will be happy and this will end it? I think not. I think this is the first step towards a broader change.
As long as other people make money by artificially capping what the players can receive with no kind of agreement to the system by the players, they will remain unsatisfied. What remains unclear is why anyone opposes them.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As long as other people make money by artificially capping what the players can receive with no kind of agreement to the system by the players, they will remain unsatisfied. What remains unclear is why anyone opposes them.

Do employees get a share of company profits or are they paid a competitive wage?

Well, students aren’t employees. They are students. And they are paid. They get a free education, strength and conditioning, nutrition, networking, life planning, and a host of other services.

I can remember when the NCAA first introduced the term “student athlete”. We are coming full circle again ... it’s athlete first and student kinda sorta.