Is college football near the end as we know it.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Everything so far has been pretty clear to state that they wouldn’t be getting paid for their playing of a sport/performance, so I really don’t see how this pretty big jump could be made. A current student athlete with a job isn’t getting taxed on their scholarship. And if they now get our as a “spokesperson” for Joe’s Ford dealership, then that’s a job. At least on paper.
I think we would agree that the spokesman job would not be available to them if they weren’t playing football. So if you are getting paid for football I think the tax won’t be far behind cause the scholarship is a gift because of football I know we will agree that if there is a way to collect a tax they will. The idea of taxing the scholarship has already been talked about.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
But their solution is "we want to keep making our billions off it and pretending it's not a business." It's not going to fly in 2019.

the schools aren’t making billions, very few even make money. Most of them are break even or lose money.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we would agree that the spokesman job would not be available to them if they weren’t playing football. So if you are getting paid for football I think the tax won’t be far behind cause the scholarship is a gift because of football I know we will agree that if there is a way to collect a tax they will. The idea of taxing the scholarship has already been talked about.

I’m sorry, I just really don’t see that happening at all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But that’s life, right? People who are more talented with rarer skill sets get paid more. I mean, left tackles in the NFL aren’t exactly hungry. But right guards are probably a little easier to come by.

I would dispute the assertion that running backs are more talented and have rarer skills than offensive linemen. They just get noticed more. If I'm building a team I'm building an offensive line before I start thinking about who's going to run behind it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would dispute the assertion that running backs are more talented and have rarer skills than offensive linemen. They just get noticed more. If I'm building a team I'm building an offensive line before I start thinking about who's going to run behind it.

I’m pretty sure running backs have the shortest professional life.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure running backs have the shortest professional life.

That's so. Not sure I see a point here, though. Seems to me good running backs are a dime a dozen. Having somebody like Shaq Mason to block for them is far more important. And rarer. But that's just me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's so. Not sure I see a point here, though. Seems to me good running backs are a dime a dozen. Having somebody like Shaq Mason to block for them is far more important. And rarer. But that's just me.

Running backs need big contracts because they don’t last long. There’s no Tom Brady of running backs.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I've wondered is whether there will be specific rules around how to get money for you likeness. For example, could a player appear in a commercial? Considering Nike's love affair with Oregon, could they just say any Oregon player is guaranteed to be in X commercials? Or the Ford dealership of Tuscaloosa guaranteeing that the starting lineman will be featured in their TV ads, etc.

The obvious things like "boosters paying $5000" for an autographed card can happen under or over the table as I'm sure it already is. I am more interested on how this might lead to companies taking a direct role in paying player for being on certain teams.

Jolly Good Fellow
stech81 opened this thread with....
"Is college football near the end as we know it?"
Answer is, Yes.
What comes next may be better or it may be worse but it will certainly be commercially unrecognizable from the game we've known since the 1930s..or the 50s..or 2000s.....Pandora's box is open...and in will rush the lawyers..and street agents..and the girls!!!!...you think that, in this political climate, the women are going to allow any male athletes to profit while they are left out?
NCAA has had a good run...it is corrupt to the core and deserves to die... Gonna mess up my Saturdays, though....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Running backs need big contracts because they don’t last long. There’s no Tom Brady of running backs.

Okay, you're talking about pro football. I see your point there. I get why they're paid a lot more than linemen in pro ball, and besides I'm not talking about that. They all get paid pretty well, anyway.

But how many linemen are going to rake in big bucks from endorsements vs. backs in college? Just about none of them. I was referring to college ball.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Okay, you're talking about pro football. I see your point there. I get why they're paid a lot more than linemen in pro ball, and besides I'm not talking about that. They all get paid pretty well, anyway.

But how many linemen are going to rake in big bucks from endorsements vs. backs in college? Just about none of them. I was referring to college ball.

That’s true in general. How does the OL feel making nothing while the QB drives a Ferrari?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That’s true in general. How does the OL feel making nothing while the QB drives a Ferrari?

Nothing? Like I said, they all get paid pretty well in the NFL albeit the discrepancy.

It's college ball where almost all linemen will get really, literally nothing from endorsements while some of the backs they block for rake it in if it's not regulated. I'm not talking about just a difference in pay, I'm talking about infinity, I'm talking about gold vs. a lump of coal.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It is interesting we make the discrepancy between QB and OL. The left tackle is on average the second highest paid position in the league. How do the other four OL feel that the the LT makes more? I don't really think this is a point that would cause much issue.