Is anyone else in the same, or similar, boat?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I bought season tickets for me and my wife for a few years toward the end of CPJ’s career. I stopped buying season tickets in 2019 because my wife lost interest. She’s not really interested in football and cooking under the noon sun at BDS is not her idea of a good time. She’s often up for GT basketball but it’s hard to get her to go to a football game anymore. Anyway, I would consider buying season tickets again but I literally don’t know anyone else who is a Tech fan that lives in my area, which is only an hour north of Atlanta. I’ve been to a couple of games by myself but it’s not much fun.

Does anyone else feel like the only man on the island? Any ideas on how to meet up with other Tech fans?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I bought season tickets for me and my wife for a few years toward the end of CPJ’s career. I stopped buying season tickets in 2019 because my wife lost interest. She’s not really interested in football and cooking under the noon sun at BDS is not her idea of a good time. She’s often up for GT basketball but it’s hard to get her to go to a football game anymore. Anyway, I would consider buying season tickets again but I literally don’t know anyone else who is a Tech fan that lives in my area, which is only an hour north of Atlanta. I’ve been to a couple of games by myself but it’s not much fun.

Does anyone else feel like the only man on the island? Any ideas on how to meet up with other Tech fans?
You are not alone. The apathy is palpable. If there is an alumni club in your area, you might try there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I lived near Atlanta I had season tickets in the upper west stands. We had the same seats for a number of years before moving far enough away that I had to drop my tix.. AS a season ticket holder, in time I came to know most of the people who sat around me. So, when my wife and/or kids could not go I was never really alone in that sense. You may try that strategy although it does take a fair amount of time and $ to commit. But i agree, watching football alone isn't all that much fun. The alumni club idea above is also good.

Ehb

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not sure where you are located, but we are in Cumming and have season tickets. Happy to meet up with you anytime!

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Same - I moved out of state and while my wife watched and enjoys basketball she couldn't care less for football. Throw in having two young kids and I have to be my own hype machine. It helps that I am on a group thread with 5 guys I graduated with and we talk about sports but it sure isn't the same.

I suggest copious amounts of OF Bourbon, buying a GT Flag to proudly fly year long and checking out the Swarm Tailgates when season kicks back up. Whenever I make it back to Atlanta for a game I am definitely crashing some of the tailgates people on here talk about.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I'm in a similar situation. I'd be interested in meeting up with you at the games - I live in the Buford area if that matters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

At the 2018 USF game I had tickets w coaches and players.
I Asked the gtaa rep if the all the gt alums in area had been invited to game.
Blank look.
Gt alumni doesn't share their list to gtaa.

I bet that the hill can get u intouch w ALumni in area. AFTER ALL WE ARE ON THE TEAM

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I am in the same boat. My wife has lost interest and my dad who I used to go with has gotten too old to go. Would be interested in meeting up with some guys to go to the game or tailgate with.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I used go to every game with my son and/or granddaughters or daughter-in-law. Then I went to the Citadel game in 2019. I was so upset at the behavior go the team on the field and on the sidelines (if I see a "juice box" at a Tech game again, I'll puke) that I left at the half. As I said (yelled, actually) to another fan as I left, "What would be the score now if Johnson were still here? At least 24 to 0!!" Then I walked out. Then the virus hit. I'm 76 so the combination of the memory of that game and the disease has kept me away ever since. Nevertheless, I still bought my season tickets and let the GTAA use the money as they would.

Well, maybe I'll go back again this year. I bought tickets again. One more humiliation, however, and I won't show up until there's change at the top.

PS: I live 20 minutes from Grant Field.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I’ve had 4 tickets for about 15 years. I usually go with my daughter, my wife, and a friend who loves to tailgate. My daughter has gone to almost every game since she was 8, including at least 9 away games during that time. She’s now 22, and mid-season last year, both she and my wife said they were no longer interested in going to games (they both said “why go to a game when in all likelihood we are going to lose”). I renewed my 4 tickets this year, but most games it will probably be just my bud and me. We tailgate near the baseball field, so stop by and share a bourbon or beer (by share, I mean share some of yours 😁).

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Tailgating is the key.
Try to find some guys and gals who aren’t part of a tailgate group and start having a tailgate with food drink and tv setup to watch other games before and after our games.
Tailgating with old and new friends will help make the island less lonely. It will make the tough times more enjoyable.

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan

I'm in a similar situation. I'd be interested in meeting up with you at the games - I live in the Buford area if that matters.

I'm also in the Buford area (for now, at least) and would love to tailgate with y'all prior to a game

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You are not alone. The apathy is palpable. If there is an alumni club in your area, you might try there.

Our alumni club in Tidewater Va was active early on in the CPJ tenure. Then kind of lost interest overall. The GTAA rules and developing prohibitions on working with prospective students made it less enjoyable too. I guess I can understand the GTAA desire to have consistent branding, but that seems to be little branding and excitement and for the networks to only exist for money. Of course, they have been to lunch with my wife three times, never to talk about money (cough, cough..... at least not till the end.) So we are now even apathetic about being apathetic.

Baseball is the last shining hope for me of the three top men's sports.