Is anybody else worried about life after Freddie?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's called lineage, tradition and expectation. If you know the history of Georgia Tech football, almost every one that has played the center position has been an all conference or all american player. Many have gone on to play professional football. It's just in the DNA!

Go Jackets!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
as a long suffering Gt fan, I have learned to never start pre-worrying about next season until the worrying about this season is over. Too much worrying. Yes, we know that next year, the shaft is a coming...but maybe it will be less than this year's!!!

.. much more eloquent that what I was going to say. I'll worry about his replacement when he's gone. :)

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think you can view the center position in a vacuum. It's a position too closely tied with the guards. Burden is a great center for us. I'm ready to see him go out on top. He will be missed next year.

. . . But, we're fine with Marshall at center next year. Especially with Will & Shamire flanking him at guards. Kenny Copper will be a good one. He'll be ready to backup Marshall next year ( remember, marshall was #2 center early in his career & was undersized). If you want size, Hansen is 320.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It's called lineage, tradition and expectation. If you know the history of Georgia Tech football, almost every one that has played the center position has been an all conference or all american player. Many have gone on to play professional football. It's just in the DNA!

Go Jackets!
So, there's something in the water that makes Centers at GT be good? Lineage and tradition don't mean anything. Expectation maybe a hair.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Did you ever think the coaches know what they're doing and know what type of player they want there? ;) Results tend to support this outlook.

Oh, totally! That said, sometimes it doesn't work. Like, they know what they want at EVERY position, but sometimes guys aren't as good as they would like. Why would Center be exempt?

That said, I'm really not even that concerned anymore. If the thought is that Cooper is good enough to play as a true freshman (per Johnson), and he's slotted at Center, then I feel like he'll be a good fallback option next year should Marshall not work out.