Is anybody else worried about life after Freddie?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I happen to think you guys have recruited particularly well on the offensive line for the past couple of years, but I don't see any upperclassmen at Center that I feel comfortable with next year. Marshalls a scrapper, but there's a pretty big drop off from Freddie to Marshall. I can't see Divine playing center, and while Bryan could probably do it, that's three positions in three years, and I'm not a fan of that.

I can't imagine that Conor will be ready to go as a true freshman, so what's the plan? Pray that Marshall bulks up? Slide cooper in? Thoughts?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is next up. Somebody else will do double duty next year as the backup center like Marshall is now. That'll get 'em some experience.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every multi year starter at center under CPJ has ended up All-ACC. Bedford, Finch, Burden. One of the most underated positions during CPJ's time here, but our coaches know how to find good ones.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
After reading only your first sentence, Will came to mind. Of the options mentioned, he seems to be the best.

Whacha' say, Mac?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have two words for this: Kenny Cooper. He's the pro typical size for the position (6'3", 307) and he's supposedly very quick on his feet.

Of course, he could end up replacing at guard - he'd fit there, too - but I'm betting center. Young Master Braun and The Twins will probably fill in beside him once Shamire is gone. I'm thinking that Will go back to OT.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
From what I remember, CPJ likes to crosstrain every OL, usually starting them at C, then moving out to G, then T. I personally love this idea, even though it only works so well with us b/c our O is so unique.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have two words for this: Kenny Cooper. He's the pro typical size for the position (6'3", 307) and he's supposedly very quick on his feet.

Of course, he could end up replacing at guard - he'd fit there, too - but I'm betting center. Young Master Braun and The Twins will probably fill in beside him once Shamire is gone. I'm thinking that Will go back to OT.

Yeah, I mentioned Cooper in the initial post, but that would still be him as a redshirt freshman (or perhaps true sophomore, if rumors about him getting PT are true). That's scary to me.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I was thinking either Cooper or Jahaziel might be good fits at C.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking either Cooper or Jahaziel might be good fits at C.

I heard Jahaziel getting some praise in one interview. Think it was Ron West(?) maybe. Talked about how raw he was, but how much potential he had. Got reps when guys got dinged. He may end up being a diamond in the rough.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like Will at guard....he is just a big fast projectile of mean hurt pulling and firing off the line. I expect Will, FB, and SD will give lots of interior Dlinenan pure hell this year. And I pity the poor backers that have to deal with them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If any of our frontline starters move to C, it's Will. He's such a smart player and a great technician on the OL the move to C would be natural. He was by no means perfect last year, but you saw glimpses that made you think "Wow, once he gains more strength and size, he's going to be a good one." I'm really excited to see him at OG this year with the muscle he put on in the offseason...I thought all along that should have been his position, but the need for him at OT last year was greater.

I can see Kenny Cooper move to OG if Will goes to C. Cooper is so athletic, and he shares the road grader mentality all nasty OGs have.

Pretty excited about the G-C-G combo this year. Might just end up being the best GCG combo in the ACC. Third and shorts are going to be automatic this year with them.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Lee is like 265. He's not playing Center anytime soon.
He's still a Fr who just enrolled, give him a full year in our S&C program and I could see him at a lean, mean 285+ next year. He very well may not end up at C, but I don't think his size is as big a detriment as you do. It'll be fun to watch all these kids develop over the next few years.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
He's still a Fr who just enrolled, give him a full year in our S&C program and I could see him at a lean, mean 285+ next year. He very well may not end up at C, but I don't think his size is as big a detriment as you do. It'll be fun to watch all these kids develop over the next few years.
Absolutely, but I still don't think that's Center sized in GTs offense. I think he's going to be a heck fire of a tackle.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely, WBryan gained 40 lbs in year one with 19% body fat. Lee is athletic and moves well, let's see him after this year :D

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
as a long suffering Gt fan, I have learned to never start pre-worrying about next season until the worrying about this season is over. Too much worrying. Yes, we know that next year, the shaft is a coming...but maybe it will be less than this year's!!!