IPFW game thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To echo what's been said...

Perimeter defense was loosey goosey. FTs were clearly atrocious. A couple of "huh?" situations, but offense was actually pretty good, between moving the ball & converting.

Not sure if it's the lack of crowd or what, but they need to get self-motivated and keep it turned up. When they finally got some stops and then converted, we seemed able to stay ahead a little easier with more energy.

Let's not fool ourselves. BG's pre-game praised IPFW as a good team and they were. If I had to rate the game, I'd give it a 7.5 for fun/watchability factor and about a 6 for frustration factor. Nobody's shown an ability to be a lockdown defender and we allowed some very easy open looks. Also FTs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but I think GT fans are looking for reasons to believe. If CBG is using these games to feel out his team, it better work. At this point, I haven't seen GT looking like an ACC serious team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mean... as a GT hoops fan, I'm always looking for reasons to believe.

Do I think we'll lose our fair share of games this year? Yeah, that's coming.

Do I think we have the talent to compete with most teams on our schedule if we put in the work in practice& effort in games? I do.

Did I think we'd have scored over 70 in two games already? Nope.

ETA: post game radio interview

Last edited:

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
With all the new faces on this team, I had no idea what to expect. So far, I am pleased. I tend to expect that we will blow out the IPFW's but that team was pretty good. A lot of big names struggle with teams like an IPFW. I am very happy with the offense. The last few years, it seemed like the Jackets were playing with smaller baskets but the same sized balls. They could not get anything to drop. The free throw shooting has stunk. If they don't improve at the line, they are going to lose some game there. I'm looking forward to see what they do the next couple of weeks.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FT and overall defense were clearly subpar. But on the flipside this team can score some (and Jackson hasn't gotten comfortable yet) and it will rebound. Q is turning into an ACC caliber player in front of us and that is going to be a big plus. He's really a nice utility type guy. Getting pretty good PG play. The PG's combined for 17 pts, 10 assists, 3 TO. Need better defense from both, but I like the rotation right now. Heath getting about 24 min and Jorgy 16.

IPFW is a good test. They won 25 games last year (losing in the Summit championship game by 3 pts last year) and are the pre-season favorites in the Summit league this year- so not just a roll over team.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looked at stats.Didn't see game.
2 big eye-openers
1.We shot 44% on FTs (they 50) Got to be one of worst EVER for Tech
2.Heath got 7 assts and 0 TOs AGAIN,talk about efficient

Q looks to be the breakout player this yr on Off,def is a bit weak

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
IPFW is a good team with a very good (and big) center. It's going to help our team a lot more if we play a few teams like this, but look out. Winthrop and Northeastern have already surprised the ACC. This is like a small mine field that bigger teams crawl through at the beginning of their seasons and hopefully you don't get blown up.

Stephens continues to impress and be there when we need him. And we have two good and developing PGs for a change.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will be ready when we play on Thursday night. I think that this team believes in itself, and they have a nice opportunity to make a statement win. I will be really surprised if we don't play well against Marquette.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IPFW is a good team with a very good (and big) center. It's going to help our team a lot more if we play a few teams like this, but look out. Winthrop and Northeastern have already surprised the ACC. This is like a small mine field that bigger teams crawl through at the beginning of their seasons and hopefully you don't get blown up.

Stephens continues to impress and be there when we need him. And we have two good and developing PGs for a change.

A couple more ACC losses yesterday - Clemson in a wacky loss to Gardner-Webb, Iona beat Wake (Iona is typically a pretty good team, not sure about this year), and Hawaii over Pitt (Pitt is missing some key players, but wasn't expecting that).

We have room for A LOT of improvement, but avoided a trap yesterday.

A big trap we'll have is against Charlotte in late December. They've made it to their preseason tourney championship game on Sunday vs. Miami and then Miami plays there on Tuesday.