IPFW game thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
McClain (i think is his name) is a nice player. Led them in points rebounds and assists in their most recent game.

I wonder if Jorg will play. I wouldnt go so far to call it a trap game as we should be able to impose our will but should still win even if we play fairly poorly, but we need to play better than Tuesday night. I look for Tadric to continue his upwards trend. This could be his breakout game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With this being the last game before playing Marquette and a solid few days to rest him, gotta think he'll get at least 10-15 minutes to get some run in. I think you've also gotta get Corey some minutes because with 3 games in 4 days next week, we'll need him on the court at some point. He may want to play, but I think Travis getting 20min/game next week might be too much, too soon.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will be interesting to watch that rotation. I think that as long as Josh is playing as well as he is that they will continue to err on the side of caution, but to dtm's point, he definitely needs to get some run in. It wouldn't surprise me to see come off the bench and get 12-15 minutes.

As far as the match-up tomorrow night, I'm glad that these guys are not a push over. The more "winnable" test that we get earlier in the year better. We need to see what these guys are made of when they face a little adversity. When that happens, I will be watching to see who we lean on to calm us down. MGH seems to be that guy, but I want to continue to see him demand the ball in those situations. I've also been encouraged by what I have seen from Sampson (when he hasn't been in foul trouble). He does a lot of the little things and the dirty work, lead by example type stuff and it abundantly obvious that Mitchell will rally the guys.

Still there are some roles to develop with the younger guys, and facing a decent team is good for them.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
McClain (i think is his name) is a nice player. Led them in points rebounds and assists in their most recent game.

Couple of details from the article:

- the Mastodons return two starters in seniors Steve Forbes and Isaiah McCray as well as senior guard Joe Edwards.

- Steve Forbes, a 6-foot-9 295-pound forward, led the Blue and White in rebounding (5.3) and in shooting percentage (60.9).

- Edwards and McCray will chair the backcourt after the departure of all-conference guard Luis Jacobo.

- In addition to the senior trio, reigning Summit League Sixth Man of the Year Mo Evans returns for his sophomore season after leading the team in three point shooting at 45.1 percent as just a freshman.

Schedule so far:

Nov. 14 Manchester = W, 74-50 Final
Nov. 17 at SIUE = W, 74-71 Final
Nov. 21 at Georgia Tech TV: ESPN3

(file both opponents under Never Heard of Em)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately work and personal life obligations prevent me from being able to cover any upcoming games. The next one would have been USC Upstate on 12/6 but now I'll be in Charlotte. Priorities, priorities. Chat should be open tonight.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offense has crisped up, but the movement on defense seems lackadaisical, but Cox or Mitchell end up clogging the lane so much that IPFW's shots end up juuuust off enough for us to clean the glass. Rebounding has been a clear strength, as expected.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
A win is a win, I guess! It was close for a while, but clutch baskets by Stephens and MGH put it away. Free throw shooting and defense were not so good. It's hard to tell if they were playing down to an inferior opponent or if these were telling signs of a very flawed club. I guess we'll see. In the meantime, it was a good win. We will find out more against Marquette.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Will always take a win.

Wish we looked more polished. FT shooting is going to hang us out to dry again this season :-(

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not our best effort for sure, but I was impressed with IPFW. Great game from Demarco, not so much for Chuck and Sampson. They have some decent players and they provided a solid test and good prep for Marquette. If it hadn't been an abomination from ft land and it would have been a more comfortable win.

Biggest areas of focus are the charity stripe and perimeter defense. They had some pretty decent guard play but there were also a couple times where we helped off of shooters leaving them with wide open looks for 3.

Edited to add that I'm happy with the way our offense looks. We were patient all night and worked for open shots. I didn't see a lot poor decisions. Good play calls off of time-outs (Q catch-n-shoot in the first half was a beauty) and nice play calls giving MGH lanes to the basket and creating open looks for Q. How about the lil turnaround down the stretch Quentin. He's really been huge for us. Def. seizing the opt.

Last edited: