Iowa Game

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m shocked that Lance Terry is still getting these minutes. He doesn’t have chemistry with any of the guys and doesn’t play within the flow of the offense. Really poor body language too, and seems he’s rarely communicating with his teammates (and vice versa).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I love, Jalen Moore’s potential, but he is not a five
I agree, he’s not a five, I’m just saying he does pretty well with the ball in the low post, so get him the ball down there. We don’t need him trying to break down defenders on the perimeter.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I’m shocked that Lance Terry is still getting these minutes. He doesn’t have chemistry with any of the guys and doesn’t play within the flow of the offense. Really poor body language too, and seems he’s rarely communicating with his teammates (and vice versa).
Between him and Maxwell, they’re building a lot of houses with their bricks.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree, he’s not a five, I’m just saying he does pretty well with the ball in the low post, so get him the ball down there. We don’t need him trying to break down defenders on the perimeter.
For sure, put him out the four and run High low with him on the block all day long. Problem is we don’t have that in our offense. :)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can we just claim we have a Covid outbreak and cancel the rest of the season? What’s even the point in playing it out? Pastner is a lame duck and 75% of the roster will be in the portal at year’s end. We’re just going to get embarrassed by any decent team we play for the rest of the year. Probably get thrashed by a bad UGA team at home to make it even more embarrassing.

For a team that’s supposed to be full of good shooters we can’t shoot for ****. We have no size, our offensive sets are terrible, we don’t produce nearly the amount of steals or turnovers we have in years past, and we turn it over every other trip down the floor.

Thank god most of our OOC games are against schools of the blind and deaf, otherwise we may not win a game. We may not win a conference game all year. GT vs Louisville might be the worst ACC basketball games of all time

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been pro-Pastner every year, but I’m questioning if he’s still right. He recruited these guys, he’s worked with them. Claimed he was going to play fast with his best shooting team since at Tech. If he’s THIS wrong, then leading ACC team may not be his calling. Yes, time to figure out, but that’s what the WHOLE off-season was for. How do they pass backward against a tall, slow full-court Iowa press? Are you playing to win or not lose by 20? Stick Deivon or Kyle at half-court (IOWA doesn’t extend 94 feet) then let them catch and turn and make Iowa pay, or get fouled trying. No one seems to go to middle, then when they do, it’s not an attacking player. You’re QUICKER than them!!!! Combat their height with your speed. However, let’s walk it up, pass around for 15 seconds then HOPE something goes in. Can’t believe so many coaches on staff, and I can spot this within two possessions. Team just has NO identity. Very poor coaching job so far.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
Obviously the Sophomore class is the core of this team: Coleman, Kelly, Moore + Smith & Maxwell (RS). I do believe they’ll get better. But I understand the issues…

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, this was the expected result (of course I was hoping for the upset), but not one that I would look at and say, "FIRE PASTNER!" Here are some random thoughts:

What I liked:
-The offense. I thought our offense actually looked better in this game, and other than some missed open looks, we did a better job of cutting and being aggressive. Particularly Smith and Kelly--they constantly took the ball to the basket and got buckets.
-A Meka sighting. Glad to see him back healthy. He is a solid defender.
-When we got behind and no fouls or loose balls were going our way, we stayed in it and played hard. There were a few times I thought we were going to pull it back within one/two possessions but it just didn't happen.

What I didn't like:
-Defensive rebounding in the zone was 🤮. We have got to stop trying to block everything and be ready for the rebounds. This needs to be fixed yesterday. If we can't rebound a miss, then forget the zone. Add to that Iowa's 3-point shooting, and I really thought we should have played MUCH less zone.
-Without Howard available (which, I thought, this was a game we could have used him), I really hoped to see Martynov. If you are going to throw Meka out there for a few minutes, why not Martynov? Is Jalen Moore at the 5 really our best option?
-We switched a lot on defense, which in itself, is fine. But when the whole world can see that we've got a guard on a 6'10 guy...why not try to switch back (off the ball)? They killed us on that action all day.
-The refs were REALLY inconsistent. Call it close or let them play, but please, choose one or the other. Plus...21 fouls against 11? 31 FTs against 10? That's pretty one-sided.
-Our guards that came off the bench had a tough time getting into the rhythm of the game. They were a combined 2 for 15. That's really really bad.

I hate losing, but this one was going to be tough. Iowa has a really good team that will probably be dancing at the end of the year, and they had homefield advantage with the fans and the refs. ;) However, I did see some flashes of good passing and good offense in this game that gives me hope for better results as the year goes on. Either way, I'll keep cheering them on. Go Jackets!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Giving up crazy numbers of offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points killed us. Also giving up 30+ points and 20 rebounds ( yes, 20 rebounds to one guy) to their best player didn’t help us.

Our offense actually looked better than it has all year. Not great, but better. We hit several dribble at - back door cut away passes that resulted in layups. We haven’t seen much of that before tonight. Kelly got going, but it wasn’t enough. Terry had a rough game.
Actually the 3 last players (incl Terry) went 2-16. Uggg!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you look at the last 7 years of underwhelming results and say, “FIRE PASTNER!” Though?
Yeah, I think you can make that case. However, I also think you can make the case that, given the circumstances, he’s had enough good moments to buy him some time to produce more wins—at least this year, I would say, and maybe the next one. To me, there is truth on both sides, and my point was that this one loss isn’t going to sway me from the middle to the extreme. Let’s see how the year plays out.