Introduce yourself

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... fi i oucld ytpe worht a drna and enver maed a mistkae ti woudl not vhae eben as fun :)

Hopefully we all know there was no malintent.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello all. My name is Shane, I am 45 & I live in Greensboro, NC. I have worked for the USPS for 28 years this Sept. I have been a sidewalk Tech fan for 25 years. My dad has lived around the Atlanta area for over 30 years & when he moved there he was so sickened by the pompous UGA fans (imagine that) he decided to pull for the underdogs. When he lived here in NC he was a NC State fan, so I guess he could see the similarities with UGA & UNC. I soon thereafter followed in his footsteps. I try to go to as many baseball, basketball, football & even softball games as I can when they come to NC. I got the pleasure to be there when GT won the acc tourney a few weeks ago.
I would chime in occasionally when the GT sportsblog was up & running.
To Eric & co., this site is outstanding! It is almost comical how many times a day I check on here to see what is new. You guys are second to none! & as someone put earlier, it ain't even close! Thanks for all you do for this Tech junkie!
Look forward to meeting some of y'all this fb season.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi everyone,
I'm Ced. I'm class of '04.
I work for a telecommunications company.
Married 9 years 3 kids and a dog.
I didn't really get into college football until I got to Tech, but now I'm a die hard fan.
Being born and raised in GA, I really loved all things GA in relation to sports and wasn't partial to UGA or Tech............. Until I got to Tech and witnessed the UGA fans. Since then I've hated all things UGA.......... except my Wife.
Glad to be a member of the board!!!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Hi everyone. I guess I would be considered a Yankee by most of you. I live in Wisconsin and was born in Pennsylvania. I was always huge college and high school football fan. My high school ran the wishbone and I became an entrenched fan of option football, much to my dads disgust. My earliest recollections of Georgia Tech was the 1990 MNC season. I followed GT on the periphery as I consumed everything I could on college football. I came over in firm rooting interest when CPJ started as the Head coach as I had been a follower of his since he was OC at Navy in the mid 90's. Since then I learned more of the ideals of what Tech is and stands for and I'm a fan for life. I have not been able to go to a GT game yet, to far to go on my limited funds, but hope to some day. I joined the board basically to talk football and X's and O's.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Hello all. My name is Shane, I am 45 & I live in Greensboro, NC. I have worked for the USPS for 28 years this Sept. I have been a sidewalk Tech fan for 25 years. My dad has lived around the Atlanta area for over 30 years & when he moved there he was so sickened by the pompous UGA fans (imagine that) he decided to pull for the underdogs. When he lived here in NC he was a NC State fan, so I guess he could see the similarities with UGA & UNC. I soon thereafter followed in his footsteps. I try to go to as many baseball, basketball, football & even softball games as I can when they come to NC. I got the pleasure to be there when GT won the acc tourney a few weeks ago.
I would chime in occasionally when the GT sportsblog was up & running.
To Eric & co., this site is outstanding! It is almost comical how many times a day I check on here to see what is new. You guys are second to none! & as someone put earlier, it ain't even close! Thanks for all you do for this Tech junkie!
Look forward to meeting some of y'all this fb season.

I too live in the Greensboro area. I can tell ya first hand about UNCheats sidewalk fans here. The similarities with Uga and them are that most of their fans never went to school there and talk the most junk I've ever heard of. I don't hear so much during football season (like Uga) but wait until basketball season rolls around. Good God ! Another thing, you can't talk to them about another sport with out them throwing basketball in your face. Sad but funny

Welcome to the board

Maybe I'll see ya at one of the games here in the triad area. PM me if you want.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Hello Everyone,

My name is Michael and I have been a season ticket holder to Tech since 2004. Even though I had to leave the Atlanta area back in 2005, I commute to most of the games from California as the GT fans are just great to be around and BDS is an awesome college football venue. As a former NCAA Football player from the 1970's, I enjoy watching triple option football and tough defense. I was on scholarship at CSU (Colorado State University) and can tell you from personal experience that recruiting today is nothing like it was back in the stone age when I went through that process. Don't get me started on the musical hat game or stars recruiting!

I like Paul Johnson as a Coach and can tell you that the problems on the defensive side of the football are being corrected under Ted Roof who will do a very good job. Football has, is, and will always be won in the trenches and the team that can run the football and stop the other team from running will win more games than they lose. Passing teams can be stopped as everyone saw in the recent Super Bowl, and like Woodrow Hayes at Ohio State used to say: "When you throw the football three things can happen and two of them are bad." The Institute is a very tough place academically and no matter how good some player is on the football field, he needs to stay eligible to play. Therefore, recruiting kids who have not shown the ability in the classroom is a waste of time no matter how good of football players they are on the gridiron.

This is a great site for GT Football discussions and look forward to contributing. Go Jackets!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Hello Everyone,

My name is Michael and I have been a season ticket holder to Tech since 2004. Even though I had to leave the Atlanta area back in 2005, I commute to most of the games from California as the GT fans are just great to be around and BDS is an awesome college football venue. As a former NCAA Football player from the 1970's, I enjoy watching triple option football and tough defense. I was on scholarship at CSU (Colorado State University) and can tell you from personal experience that recruiting today is nothing like it was back in the stone age when I went through that process. Don't get me started on the musical hat game or stars recruiting!

I like Paul Johnson as a Coach and can tell you that the problems on the defensive side of the football are being corrected under Ted Roof who will do a very good job. Football has, is, and will always be won in the trenches and the team that can run the football and stop the other team from running will win more games than they lose. Passing teams can be stopped as everyone saw in the recent Super Bowl, and like Woodrow Hayes at Ohio State used to say: "When you throw the football three things can happen and two of them are bad." The Institute is a very tough place academically and no matter how good some player is on the football field, he needs to stay eligible to play. Therefore, recruiting kids who have not shown the ability in the classroom is a waste of time no matter how good of football players they are on the gridiron.

This is a great site for GT Football discussions and look forward to contributing. Go Jackets!

Welcome cuttysark. We all look forward to your contributions.

If I may, the Hayes quote is actually from General Neyland at Tennessee. And no telling where he picked it up.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey Guys........retired three times...presently working as Magistrate in Jefferson County.Retired BG(H) from Air National Guard and retired Juvenile Probation Officer.66 years old and tech fan for over sixty of those years.Love Dodd and old unis and cant wait to see us beat Georgie again.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Hey Guys........retired three times...presently working as Magistrate in Jefferson County.Retired BG(H) from Air National Guard and retired Juvenile Probation Officer.66 years old and tech fan for over sixty of those years.Love Dodd and old unis and cant wait to see us beat Georgie again.

mack, glad you and others are over here.

Looking forward to the day we can get together again at The Flats and watch some Georgia Tech football. This time when the temps are a little cooler and not 90 some degrees.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey Stinger unless their are changes made doubt I will see a game anytime soon.One thing for sure..........will not sit in East stands for noon game again.

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan
I have put off introducing myself until tonight. Can't play tennis because of a thunderstorm so here goes. I am a long time Georgia Tech fan. Did not go to the Institute but my dad graduated in 1950 with a degree in textile engineering.

My handle comes from the beloved dog "sideways" as many of you know was a fixture at Tech following World War II. He was called that because he had been hit by a car and walked, well sideways. My father would come out of the old textile engineering building up on the Hill and see him everyday. Thus, the connection. His grave is marked nearby and has become something of a good luck shrine for generations of Tech students who need all the help they can get. (the dog, not my dad who mercifully is still alive and watches Tech in everything)

I am a high school teacher in a rural county here in south Georgia. I saw Jemea play against our school and he literally never left the field.

Stream of consciousness thoughts based on 50 years (yeah its been that long) of watching Tech.
(Beware young people, I was old school before it became cool so much of this will be meaningless to you)

* Tech really was that good in Dodd's time. Yes, there were ups and downs but you got the feeling that no matter who the opponent was, we were going to win.

*Dodd was an outstanding recruiter for his time. He had a way with parents who were much more influential then than now. Tech got players from all over the South. Really good players.

*Georgia (the state) did not produce the talent then that it does now. Especially linemen. This hurt UGA and helped us to a degree not fully appreciated at the time

* First game I remember going to with my parents was in either 1960 or 1961. Rice was the opponent and favored. Believe it or not, Rice was a powerhouse back then. They were in the top ten and Tech was not. Didn't matter, Tech won and I was hooked like a addict on cocaine.

* 1962 Dodd's greatest win. Tech 7 to 6 over favored and number 1 Alabama. Don Toner intercepted a pass right in front of me in the old north stands.

* 1966 Tech 21 to 14 over Clemson. Notable in my mind because I felt like Clemson (although they were a pretty hefty underdog) had outplayed us. The reason why this game stands out is because I had a cousin who played for Clemson and we went down to the locker room to see him. It was sight I will never forget. Their players big beefy linemen were crying like crazy over how they had lost. It was tied, I think, in the fourth quarter and Lenny Snow ran about 40 yards for a touchdown.

1968 This is what happens when you don't recruit. Playing in Athens, Georgia absolutely destroyed us. Most miserable game I have ever seen. Poor Eric Wilcox was making tackles all over the place but it did not matter. UGA was loaded with a team than won the SEC. Funny thing, I also got introduced to another Bulldog event. Losing to an inferior team in a bowl game. Georgia got trounced in the Sugar Bowl by Arkansas and it was never in doubt.

Today: I am cautiously optimistic. We have a quarterback who buys into the system. We finally have a defensive coordinator that looks to be the real deal. We have a schedule that is perfect for a team rebuilding on offense.

However, losing 3 linemen on offense, a good B back in the underrated and in my mind, unappreciated David Sims, along with the loss of Thomas and Attachou on defense has me worried. As always, depth on defense is a major concern.

Unlike some, I have seen enough football on the flats to know that even in the darkest days of the late 70s and early 80s, we always seem to come back. That what is so great about being a Tech fan. You know it is not a factory school, You know that stars will not fall on a program hamstrung by its own administration but still there is something special about Georgia Tech. My dad traveled widely in his job and he told me that no matter where he went, people knew about Georgia Tech its just that kind of place. Thanks for allowing me to share some special memories with you

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Good to see some experienced fans on deck....notice i didnt say older fans since age had nothing to do with love for tech.Remember the game with Clemson since all we got in Wadley was Frank Howard Show and he said"it was hot in Clemson yesterday but it SNOWED in Atlanta.Glad to have a guy who knew the Dodd era and beyound ! Welcome.

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Good to see some experienced fans on deck....notice i didnt say older fans since age had nothing to do with love for tech.Remember the game with Clemson since all we got in Wadley was Frank Howard Show and he said"it was hot in Clemson yesterday but it SNOWED in Atlanta.Glad to have a guy who knew the Dodd era and beyound ! Welcome.
Yep, ol Frank had a way with words. My dad said that he and "Peahead" Walker the coach at Wake Forest would come to Atlanta for the Touchdown Club and had a routine that left people laughing in the aisles so to speak. That said, Clemson was always my favorite road trip. Good people and good football most of the time. One time Frank Howard was bringing his Clemson team to Birmingham to play Alabama. This was probably in the late 1960s. Anyway, much was made about Alabama's undersized linemen. Coach Howard allowed that he didn't believe the weights published in the program. Coach Bryant had one of his assistants to lower the weights on one of the scales about 20 lbs (secretly of course) and invited Frank to see for himself. Coach Howard who was hefty to say the least obliged and exclaimed: "Damn Bear, these scales are accurate!" I got that story from one of Bear Bryant's biographies. Probably the same one that had him saying: "On game day I would rather look across the field and see anyone but that damn Dodd"

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep, ol Frank had a way with words. My dad said that he and "Peahead" Walker the coach at Wake Forest would come to Atlanta for the Touchdown Club and had a routine that left people laughing in the aisles so to speak. That said, Clemson was always my favorite road trip. Good people and good football most of the time. One time Frank Howard was bringing his Clemson team to Birmingham to play Alabama. This was probably in the late 1960s. Anyway, much was made about Alabama's undersized linemen. Coach Howard allowed that he didn't believe the weights published in the program. Coach Bryant had one of his assistants to lower the weights on one of the scales about 20 lbs (secretly of course) and invited Frank to see for himself. Coach Howard who was hefty to say the least obliged and exclaimed: "Damn Bear, these scales are accurate!" I got that story from one of Bear Bryant's biographies. Probably the same one that had him saying: "On game day I would rather look across the field and see anyone but that damn Dodd"
Yep hard to believe that at one time we gave them100000 to come play us at Atlanta

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My name is Mike, sidewalk Tech basketball fan since Marbury. I don't care for college football and care even less for the Triple Option. However, I am infatuated with CBB recruiting and getting this program where I believe it should be.

Some say Im a pessimist, I prefer the term realist. Im going to love GT BB either way, but id really prefer us to be awesome.