Interesting read...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have swung very quickly from the-next-great-QB to, well, somewhere else. Is this based on his spring performance, because else it seems to me that given the difficulty of learning this offense for a QB, we are looking at a serious QB gap commencing in 2017. Or is Tech counting on the Campbell kid now? Very puzzling.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have swung very quickly from the-next-great-QB to, well, somewhere else. Is this based on his spring performance, because else it seems to me that given the difficulty of learning this offense for a QB, we are looking at a serious QB gap commencing in 2017. Or is Tech counting on the Campbell kid now? Very puzzling.

I think this speaks much more to our lack of WR depth and talent than it does anything yet about Matthew's future at QB, but what do I know?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more just trying to find a spot for him to see the field these next 2 years. Coach wants him ready at QB but also can get him comfortable in another position so he gets a chance to play. If, however, Campbell looks legit in fall and Jordan looks good at receiver, maybe they make the change a little more permanent.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think it's more just trying to find a spot for him to see the field these next 2 years. Coach wants him ready at QB but also can get him comfortable in another position so he gets a chance to play. If, however, Campbell looks legit in fall and Jordan looks good at receiver, maybe they make the change a little more permanent.

Correct.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
The concern by some about Jordan's future at QB is a wee bit premature. Good heavens: He's only getting to his second collegiate season. He'll only be the 3rd-string QB this year, presumably --and, probably but not definitely, the back-up QB in 2016. How 'bout hold off the worry until the end of spring practice next year? He has plenty more snaps to take -- practice snaps, yes, but also let's hope some real-game snaps if only against Alcorn State and Tulane at least -- and lots more film to watch, before he gets high consideration for the back-up QB role.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled angst. ;)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
tumblr_lgkrxaWF5E1qe5x4p.gif

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I love this team!

Matthew Jordan, the No. 3 quarterback behind Thomas and Tim Byerly. Johnson turned to him and said, “Matthew, you’re one of the better athletes on the team.”

“Absolutely, Coach,” Jordan replied. “Where do you want me? A-back? Receiver?”

“I said, ‘You still need to be the third quarterback, but you can do that and play receiver,’ and he was excited about it,” Johnson said. “We’ll see in the fall when he gets back out there, but we’ve done that
through the years.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
If he has good hands and can block, then I am excited about his chance at receiver, and being a QB, he almost assuredly has good hands, and the beating he took this spring shows he is a tough kid.

Good hands?

He played WR/DB as a SOPH in HS and led the state in INT's.

If he moves to WR, he will be fine. Prob be the most targeted WR in the O.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Bingo.

CPJ wants the best athletes on the field. Who wouldn't?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Matthew may even be in a more favorable position at #3 qb than Byerly at #2. At #2, we cannot afford to put Tim at another position even though he could help the team because he's such a good athlete. I bet if Timmy was the #3 qb, we'd see him at Bback for sure this fall.

This move is all about getting our best athletes on the field and nothing about Matthew's alleged lack of development. It also says a ton about our depth at qb which is a rarity in college football, especially at GT, and we should all thank our lucky stars for it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good hands?

He played WR/DB as a SOPH in HS and led the state in INT's.

If he moves to WR, he will be fine. Prob be the most targeted WR in the O.

Great. I had no idea he had played WR before. Thanks for the great information.

You don't assume we all know these things, right? I don't know the history of every recruit we get. You do realize that?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Great. I had no idea he had played WR before. Thanks for the great information.

You don't assume we all know these things, right? I don't know the history of every recruit we get. You do realize that?

Yea man lol.. just jerking your chain a little..

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Matthew may even be in a more favorable position at #3 qb than Byerly at #2. At #2, we cannot afford to put Tim at another position even though he could help the team because he's such a good athlete. I bet if Timmy was the #3 qb, we'd see him at Bback for sure this fall.

This move is all about getting our best athletes on the field and nothing about Matthew's alleged lack of development. It also says a ton about our depth at qb which is a rarity in college football, especially at GT, and we should all thank our lucky stars for it.

I agree. MJ didn't get a fair shake by not running with the 1's in the spring game. You cant judge it off that.

What if another QB steps up and Byerly can go to B back and MJ to WR??
That would put the best athletes on the field for sure.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

And our emergency depth includes Martensen who can already move the team and execute the TO3. Jordan can continue to develop at QB and be used wherever he can help. Great situation.