Institutionalized Takes

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes but ... outside of Collins, there were no other candidates. Now, you can ask yourself if we COULD have pursued a number of candidates, but the reality is, no one really wanted the job.
yeah that was my understanding. we did not have much mutual interest from anyone, and we basically got stuck when the whisenhunt stuff went down. the recruiters pushed for collins over whisenhunt, and maybe they were wrong but what does whisenhunt really give us over collins? we go 4-8 instead of 3-9? probably having the same conversations just less about waffle house

seemed like a failure on all fronts and attempting to pin it on the boosters is just incorrect

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Supposedly Chadwell would have been offered P5 jobs if he did not insist on bringing his entire staff. If Liberty hires him, we will see if he does in fact bring his entire staff.
That's just crazy to me. Who the heck tries to hire a HC by telling them before they even start who they can or can't hire and how to do their job. I don't care what the money or the job is, that's a bad sign and would turn me off immediately. No wonder he said "Yeah no thanks". Only someone really desperate would agree to that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
yeah that was my understanding. we did not have much mutual interest from anyone, and we basically got stuck when the whisenhunt stuff went down. the recruiters pushed for collins over whisenhunt, and maybe they were wrong but what does whisenhunt really give us over collins? we go 4-8 instead of 3-9? probably having the same conversations just less about waffle house

seemed like a failure on all fronts and attempting to pin it on the boosters is just incorrect
I don't think the failure was "the boosters". I lay the failure squarely on TStan's shoulders.

Look, he KNEW CPJ was going to retire. This year or next, it was going to happen. (The GTAA had already tried to force CPJ out, so it was common knowledge they were trying to show him the door.)

TStan knew this but ... did nothing. Zip Nada. Zilch.

He could have prepared candidate slates, made introductory calls, starting planning a transition. Instead, what he did was convince himself that his old buddy Ken would ride in and they would have great times together. "So Ken, we shall go to Charlotte together and have bloody adventures. And the great whore will suckle us until we are fat and happy and can suckle no more." Like Proximo and Maximus in Gladiator.

So, we were caught with our pants down, the greatest transition in the history of earth starting us in the face, and TStan marched forth into battle with a squirt gun.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
That's just crazy to me. Who the heck tries to hire a HC by telling them before they even start who they can or can't hire and how to do their job. I don't care what the money or the job is, that's a bad sign and would turn me off immediately. No wonder he said "Yeah no thanks". Only someone really desperate would agree to that.

Or maybe a P5 school knows that his staff, especially his defensive staff, may not be ready to coach a p5 school. And the school knows it

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ was cheap and very money efficient on wins per dollar. Stan wanted CPJ to stay another year because there was no "real" money. Stan had no way out of Collins because of the money to fire him and the money to replace him. Now we hire on the cheap, Key. No buyout to hire and hopefully a very strong performance pay scale that makes firing cheap.

I think the lack of money and the difficult job at GT in post modern football (post APR and now post NIL and portal) will sink into most reasonable fans. CPJ was a steal. I am very interested to be proven wrong in the next 3 years. I hope Keys can put together a money ball coaching staff and a money ball team. I keep thinking the HC has to be Xs and Os person. I guess the OC and DC can be the beautiful genius mind too.

Get money and find a place for athletes in school and change the future. Or find a way to do more with less.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Or maybe a P5 school knows that his staff, especially his defensive staff, may not be ready to coach a p5 school. And the school knows it
Which means that you don't trust the guy you're hiring to know what he's doing . . . which confirms my original post.

JacketFan137

Banned
CPJ was cheap and very money efficient on wins per dollar. Stan wanted CPJ to stay another year because there was no "real" money. Stan had no way out of Collins because of the money to fire him and the money to replace him. Now we hire on the cheap, Key. No buyout to hire and hopefully a very strong performance pay scale that makes firing cheap.

I think the lack of money and the difficult job at GT in post modern football (post APR and now post NIL and portal) will sink into most reasonable fans. CPJ was a steal. I am very interested to be proven wrong in the next 3 years. I hope Keys can put together a money ball coaching staff and a money ball team. I keep thinking the HC has to be Xs and Os person. I guess the OC and DC can be the beautiful genius mind too.

Get money and find a place for athletes in school and change the future. Or find a way to do more with less.
if we had spent the last four years just playing fundamental football and not shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties, turnovers, special teams catastrophes and drops we probably could have had multiple bowl games under collins.

if key just gets us to stop doing stupid things i think we can get back to where paul johnson had us.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
if we had spent the last four years just playing fundamental football and not shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties, turnovers, special teams catastrophes and drops we probably could have had multiple bowl games under collins.

if key just gets us to stop doing stupid things i think we can get back to where paul johnson had us.
Yes, no more of the Collins special: time out because we can’t get a play in. Delay of game after time out anyways. False start.

It was truly a one of kind sort of disaster, that just so happened to occur more than once.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
What are the odds the people someone already has working for them are the best possible people for that job, if the current budget is on the small side? What are the odds that if the head guy had 2, 3, or more times as much money to play with, he couldn't tap his network and pull some higher-firepower candidates?

I think it would reflect poorly on their judgement and would be less inclined to hire them. It probably means either they're overly attached and valuing that over results, OR they just don't have a good network to tap for a new staff.

Stansbury said so himself that he bought fully into Collins's spiel, and the contract suggests he didn't give much thought to downsides or risk. Given where that's gotten us, I like an AD looking at things from a more critical perspective. (This is why I also don't want just a couple boosters having enough influence to call all the shots - people spending less time in the situation and less familiar with the details and approaching things fanatically instead of rigorously are not who should be making the final call.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes but ... outside of Collins, there were no other candidates. Now, you can ask yourself if we COULD have pursued a number of candidates, but the reality is, no one really wanted the job.

This wasn't completely true. Bohannon wanted it as well as a couple of coaches on the CPJ tree.

FWIW, the boosters didn't specify Collins by name, they just specified no more option. Collins was the only Non-option coach interested in the job.

Not many coaches wanted to have their name attached to the results that were destined to come in replacing CPJs offense with a more NFL friendly offense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This wasn't completely true. Bohannon wanted it as well as a couple of coaches on the CPJ tree.

FWIW, the boosters didn't specify Collins by name, they just specified no more option. Collins was the only Non-option coach interested in the job.

Not many coaches wanted to have their name attached to the results that were destined to come in replacing CPJs offense with a more NFL friendly offense.
Ok, I agree with that. But it was already decided that no option coaches would be considered. Agreed

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
What are the odds the people someone already has working for them are the best possible people for that job, if the current budget is on the small side? What are the odds that if the head guy had 2, 3, or more times as much money to play with, he couldn't tap his network and pull some higher-firepower candidates?

I think it would reflect poorly on their judgement and would be less inclined to hire them. It probably means either they're overly attached and valuing that over results, OR they just don't have a good network to tap for a new staff.
And that's fine. It was a mutually bad fit.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Eggsackley. Moncken or, more likely, Bohannon would have taken the job and we'd have a bunch of people here complaining about how we aren't going to a New Years bowl every year and "accepting mediocrity". And, btw, given the performance of Paul's players in the pros I'm not sure what the other coaches were afraid of. I'm also not convinced that TStan asked around enough. I'm betting that Fritz would have taken the job then if approached. TStan's problem was that he was afraid of the "no option" crowd, forgetting that winning solves most problems.

Now that we have conclusive evidence that trying to play "big boy football" (whatever that is) a la TFFG won't work all that well at Tech, I would suggest that those who advocated for it STFU.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Eggsackley. Moncken or, more likely, Bohannon would have taken the job and we'd have a bunch of people here complaining about how we aren't going to a New Years bowl every year and "accepting mediocrity". And, btw, given the performance of Paul's players in the pros I'm not sure what the other coaches were afraid of. I'm also not convinced that TStan asked around enough. I'm betting that Fritz would have taken the job then if approached. TStan's problem was that he was afraid of the "no option" crowd, forgetting that winning solves most problems.

Now that we have conclusive evidence that trying to play "big boy football" (whatever that is) a la TFFG won't work all that well at Tech, I would suggest that those who advocated for it STFU.

FWIW, even though I am a huge option fan, I am not sure plugging in Bohannon or Monken would equate to CPJs success here. There's a considerable drop off between the master and his disciples. We wouldn't be the 3 win team we were, but we'd probably have had at least one losing season in the last 4 and maybe even two.

I get that moving away from the CPJ version of the option made sense, I just don't think TStan had a plan on how to do it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Different donors push for different candidates. We just saw that during the last round. The group with the most money usually wins.

No one called me but I wasn't going to contribute my $250 unless I liked the pick and I like Key.

It's like voting but someone with $1,000,000 has 4000 votes to my one.

In the end, baseball starts in 75 days.