Injuries

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Key hasn't been one to hide or delay information if a guy is seriously injured and out for weeks if not the season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Key hasn't been one to hide or delay information if a guy is seriously injured and out for weeks if not the season.
What? There hasn‘t been any clarity on injuries at all this entire off season or the past 10 days. We know nothing about Cooley. We didn’t know anything about Seither for weeks after it happened. We don’t know anything about Alexander. I’m fine with not knowing but you can’t say Key doesn’t hide or delay info. He absolutely does and I’m fine with it. That’s why you recruit guys like Carrie who stay ready so they don’t have to get ready.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think that they have to post something on Wednesdays.

FSU posted a bunch of players "maybe" injured at game time who played.

In competition over classifying injury for more players can cause extra planning - possible more passing or running.

I think "Betting, which is the new money thing " wants to have "inside" on what is the "real" injury status. Fear of inside info to some will reduce betting.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
With HIPAA the GTAA cannot reveal injury information without written permission. Getting permission is a formal process, so Key is simply following the law. He is not being cagey.
I’m not entirely sure if this is true. A quick google search is kind of iffy

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s a good overview

• HIPAA laws are for medical care providers
  • Pro athletes usually have clauses in their contracts which allow the leagues to release injury information. College sports don’t have this
  • There are still privacy rights in the US, mostly based on judicial precedent
  • There’s also the idea of TMI, and whether fans and opponents should get more detail than “dinged up and week to week”. I wouldn’t want my medical info plastered on the internet. I don’t think players want that either

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The patient has to sign a release for the information. Pretty standard HIPAA. There is no reason why a coach would ask a player to sign a release and it would be up to the patient.

From Key’s tone it did not sound like we have any career ending or even season ending injuries. But that’s just my interpretation.

I would love to know more but that’s my problem not the football team’s problem.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
What? There hasn‘t been any clarity on injuries at all this entire off season or the past 10 days. We know nothing about Cooley. We didn’t know anything about Seither for weeks after it happened. We don’t know anything about Alexander. I’m fine with not knowing but you can’t say Key doesn’t hide or delay info. He absolutely does and I’m fine with it. That’s why you recruit guys like Carrie who stay ready so they don’t have to get ready.
When D.J. Moore and the TEs Seither and Jackson Long went down for the season, he announced that right away.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I think CBK said they were waiting on medical clearance. He said “we don’t like to rush athletes back too soon after an injury and risk something worse.”

That’s all I’ve heard. Rest may be HIPAA and why we haven’t heard specifics.
Adding onto the statements CBK made, it very much sounded like he was alluding to a concussion "protocol" " medical clearance". Cooley maybe? Hope he is feeling better and we get him back this week or next if that was the case.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
They didn't say anything about Siether until the swelling went down and they did the MRI. So, the delay was not knowing, not keeping it a secret. Also, there are laws talking about medical stuff. If the player doesn't want it discussed, it can't be. That being said, why share if you don't have to?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched Fran Browns press conference and he was asked about his linebacker and he straight up said he’d be out maybe 6 weeks. Coaches can say what they want. I’m glad Key doesn’t say anything but you can’t say he is forthcoming with info. He learned from Saban and Saban kept info locked down tight.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s a good overview

• HIPAA laws are for medical care providers
  • Pro athletes usually have clauses in their contracts which allow the leagues to release injury information. College sports don’t have this
  • There are still privacy rights in the US, mostly based on judicial precedent
  • There’s also the idea of TMI, and whether fans and opponents should get more detail than “dinged up and week to week”. I wouldn’t want my medical info plastered on the internet. I don’t think players want that either
Thanks. So how are the SEC and B1G getting teams to release injury reports….

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't look like this is HIPAA related unless these 3 conferences get all of the athletes to sign a HIPAA release. This is clearly about Sports Betting. Interesting that the Power 2 are both providing this info. Again from a marketing perspective and realizing the huge impact of Sports Betting, they are again leaving the ACC in the dust. https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/3063329