Injuries Mounting

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't worry about these minor injuries. What we really hope to avoid is the ACL/out-for-the-season type injuries. Thus far, we have not had any. Fingers crossed!

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Clinton Lynch and A. Marshall are what scares me the most. We need that 20yds per touch in as many games as possible. Especially in the opener.

Has he practiced at all this fall? Or has he been out the entire time?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What benefit do we receive from allowing contact on qb's during camp? The last few years, nobody could hit JT. Did we suffer from that policy? Do we gain from allowing contact? Obviously, MJ's shoulder injury wouldn't have happened. I'm not sure either way and not critical of the practice, just want to know what we gain.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What benefit do we receive from allowing contact on qb's during camp? The last few years, nobody could hit JT. Did we suffer from that policy? Do we gain from allowing contact? Obviously, MJ's shoulder injury wouldn't have happened. I'm not sure either way and not critical of the practice, just want to know what we gain.

an interesting question--my first response is that--got to learn and feel reality so PLAY BALL otoh- if you've got ONE QB,save him
if you have depth then maybe hit for first 2 wks then back off OR go to "flag-type ball " on QBs to lessen hits but still allow DEF to prove they could have tackled him probably
good question

Deleted member 2897

First, CPJ has described these 10-15 guys that have been held out of practice here and there as 'normal'. I think those were his exact words. Only 2 guys are pretty banged up...Tariq Carpenter is #3 actually, but I think he was even injured before he got here.

This is why depth matters. Clinton Lynch missing time is a major blow - but its softened if you have a Qua Searcy, JJ Green, and Nate Cottrell. 3 pretty proven playmakers. And behind them you have some guys that redshirted and have been in the system for awhile. I wouldn't over-react to missed practices. Its a catch-22 - you can't get guys ready for real football without contact, and you can't have contact without people getting banged up. Guys are trying to secure/earn starting spots, so they are flying around and being super aggressive...as they should.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ isn't scared, neither am I. He seems to be pretty accurate with his evaluations of teams, and feels like this team is at the very least competent and able to compete. He was content (in CPJ terms) with the 14 team in camp and pretty displeased with the 15 team in camp. We've always been next man up, and we've stayed afloat over Johnson's time here imo (obviously minus 15)

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Last year JT didn't even practice that much.

What I have learned about CPJs offense over the years is that the A back is what makes his offense go. In 2014 we had 5 starting A backs. All top players. In 2014 we had only Snoddy returning and I don't think he was 100 percent. It worries me having 2 A backs out for a while. If only nicked up ok, but this is one spot we cannot afford to be short on.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
an interesting question--my first response is that--got to learn and feel reality so PLAY BALL otoh- if you've got ONE QB,save him
if you have depth then maybe hit for first 2 wks then back off OR go to "flag-type ball " on QBs to lessen hits but still allow DEF to prove they could have tackled him probably
good question

Yea bc this is their first practice/game ever...:rolleyes:

I would allow contact on QB/RB the first week and that would be it. Why sacrifice your best payers in practice. We have seen that before.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
We had an open competition at qb going into camp. You can't put non contacts on all 4 of them and be able to make a good decision. In JT's situation going into his Sr year with the position on lock, well that man isn't to be touched.

Sure you can to an extent. Limit the hits on the 2 you think it will be.
I got news for you guys... it's not a 4 horse race.. Not even close.