Info from first week of practice

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
With Andrews now in the dog house, the two Norcross boys have a great shot to raise their stock for 2015 by showing out this fall. Hope they can block.

Go Jackets!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I know we're excited about these AB's, but IMO they were taken with the hopes to play in 2015 or 2016. Here are the AB's in front of the Freshman:

Days - RS-SR
Hill - RS-SR
Bostic - RS-SR
Perkins - RS-SR
Zenon - RS-SR
Andrews - RS-SO
Snoddy - RS-JR

That's 3 deep before they even step on campus, with the least experienced among them having 3 years under his belt. The only way they get PT is if CPJ wants to prepare them to play next year.

Agreed. Good post.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I believe that Custis will take the starting B-back job in the early part of the season

I think they are going to end up splitting a lot of carries but Laskey stays the starter...IMO. Laskey has been putting in a lot of work and will be a tough one to beat out...blocking is also a big factor in this.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One way Custis could get himself on the field more often would be to prove he can stay in front of a rusher for a count of two on passing plays. Neither Sims nor Laskey had much luck with that last year. Seemed to me many pass plays never had a chance because the B back couldn't hold up a rusher even for a second.

Who knows until we see some live football how this will turn out? My guess is that it will start off 70% Laskey, 30% Custis. By mid season that will be reversed.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing Akins and Robbins still stings, very painful, could not be a worse place to lose players. DL was already shaky at best. Restating the obvious, really need some guys to step it up.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I know we're excited about these AB's, but IMO they were taken with the hopes to play in 2015 or 2016. Here are the AB's in front of the Freshman:

Days - RS-SR
Hill - RS-SR
Bostic - RS-SR
Perkins - RS-SR
Zenon - RS-SR
Andrews - RS-SO
Snoddy - RS-JR

That's 3 deep before they even step on campus, with the least experienced among them having 3 years under his belt. The only way they get PT is if CPJ wants to prepare them to play next year.
I think Andrews is the only one capable stepping up but he unfortunately screwed over his depth chart position for a while. Days blocks well but I’ve never been a fan of the way he runs. Just seems too stiff for an AB. I’m not extremely worried about AB though because I think there’s a lot of blocking experience there so as long as they run the offense, plays will be made but I do think Andrews is the only one capable of putting moves on anyone. Only concern I have is if any of these guys other than Zenon can run routes and catch passes when needed. Orwin and Godhigh were great at it and the AB is basically a check down slot receiver in our offense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Anyone else disappointed in the progress Bostic has made since coming on campus?
It certainly feels like he’s been here for 8 years. I think he’s an athlete without a position. I’m not sure AB was ever a good place for him but I’m also not sure where else he could play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Bostic and Zenon both have shown great potential for both big plays and big mistakes. I think they'll both dial in this year and do well.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
- Staff feels very confident in the White, Milton, Griffin, Golden and Johnson lineup...depth is the concern there.
Weird thing about this statement to me is that it actually leaves out the two guys who started the most games for us last year at S - Demond Smith and Dominique Noble. What about those guys?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Weird thing about this statement to me is that it actually leaves out the two guys who started the most games for us last year at S - Demond Smith and Dominique Noble. What about those guys?

Wow, I forgot about Demond too! Maybe he moves up with Noble to the Nickel back? That could be why Roof was looking at the 4-2-5 as his base for next year because he has two guys that he trusts can play there?

Days - RS-SR
Hill - RS-SR
Bostic - RS-SR
Perkins - RS-SR
Zenon - RS-SR
Andrews - RS-SO
Snoddy - RS-JR

My concern is looking at that list, none of them would play ahead of Orwin Smith, Roddy Jones, Anthony Allen, or even Robbie Godhigh. How can the talent at a position as important as A-back continue to decline? Maybe the new kids will be the answer to that question, but right now it seems we have regressed. Yes, we have several to choose from, but are any of them what you would consider game-breakers?

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Andrews is the only one capable stepping up but he unfortunately screwed over his depth chart position for a while. Days blocks well but I’ve never been a fan of the way he runs. Just seems too stiff for an AB. I’m not extremely worried about AB though because I think there’s a lot of blocking experience there so as long as they run the offense, plays will be made but I do think Andrews is the only one capable of putting moves on anyone. Only concern I have is if any of these guys other than Zenon can run routes and catch passes when needed. Orwin and Godhigh were great at it and the AB is basically a check down slot receiver in our offense.

I actually like Days as a receiver. He looks like a Tight End running those routes.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Those two started due to the injuries of Golden and Johnson...but Demond played decent last year and got better as the year went along. He will likely be the first off the bench.