Info from first week of practice

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This is some info that was passed on to me from a few good GT sources...Keep in my mind this is though four practices....and two were in shorts.

- They want to see what the young guys have early on and are throwing them into the fire so to speak...They like the skill set they have seen from Matthew Jordan. He of course is raw and has a long way to go but they feel they did not miss on him. A eye to keep a eye on in a couple of years.

- Justin Thomas and Byerly are cleary one and two.

- Custis has been what we exepected so far...and the staff is trying to contain their excitment on him but I was told they expect him to get a lot of touches this year.

- Laskey working hard and has bulked up a bit...isn't scared of a battle and is helping Custis all he can.

- The staff feels good about Laskey, Custis and Connors at B back...so they are trying to get Snoddy on the field at A back. I have heard they are happy with what he has done so far and hope he continues his play to get his way into the rotation.

- Donovan Wilson has been getting reps at B back

- We have spent some time in the first few practices "tweaking" things to fit our current talent.

- Messick has been getting a lot of snaps at WR with the second team.

- Staff wants better blocking on the outside this year from everyone.

- We have a good group of A backs but not one that stands out...Need one to step up.

- Braun is expected to be used at both G and T this year

- Chamberlain and Griffin have been getting a lot of reps as we are thin at T

- O'Reily is the starter as of now at Center

- Isaiah Johnson has looked great coming back from his injury...he is moving around comfortably and without hesitation...I was very encouraged by this.

- Staff feels very confident in the White, Milton, Griffin, Golden and Johnson lineup...depth is the concern there.

- Durham very likely to play this year.

- Concerned about DE's...Staff is trying a bunch of different things at DE and hoping to find the right group. Attaochu spent some time with Hunt-Days last week trying to give him tips...Whitehead is going to be counted on when he gets here.

- at SDE..Stargel is the starter right now.

- Gamble has been inside and that is likely where he will stay at.

- PJ Davis has been PJ Davis...still playing like he is being shot out of a cannon on each play.

Last edited:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Couple of questions @Eric
1. How does Donovan look at Bback?
2. Is there any consideration for putting Devine at Tackle, is he in better shape?
3. What happened to Marvin and Corey Griffin?
4. With the shortage in the secondary do you think we'll we see the twins and Searcy on the field this coming season?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Couple of questions @Eric
1. How does Donovan look at Bback?
2. Is there any consideration for putting Devine at Tackle, is he in better shape?
3. What happened to Marvin and Corey Griffin?
4. With the shortage in the secondary do you think we'll we see the twins and Searcy on the field this coming season?

I posted majority of what I was told I could post.

Good questions...

1. I didnt get any info on Wilson other then what I posted...I think he is fourth string right now but I expect him to be at B back next season and he will likely be 2nd string in 2015.

2. Devine is not going to be at tackle in our offense IMO...They love him at G. He is in better shape but he still has a ways to go...they want him at 330.

3. They are both backups right now...From what I have heard a lot of people have been impressed with Corey Griffin. I heard that a lot last year when he was on Scout team until he got hurt. He has a good chance to be second string this year.

4. Searcy is still coming in at WR...Depends on how things shake out but I would not be surprised to see the Austin twins be used as backups this year. I think it depends on how they play when they get here...White, Milton and Durham are the top three at CB right now...Still wouldnt be surprised to see someone like Jamal Golden flip over to CB at some point. I would say they have a decent shot at playing.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Very concerned about the DL sans Gotsis, we will get bullied and pushed around next year without a pass rush. Feel good about every other position group though. Need JHD to step up

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
[quote="Eric, post: 40752, member: 2"
- We have a good group of A backs but not one that stands out...Need one to step up.

Do you think that if nobody stands out at AB, that it will increase the chances one of the incoming AB playing? I know a lot depends on how the new guys do when they get to school.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

Do you think that if nobody stands out at AB, that it will increase the chances one of the incoming AB playing? I know a lot depends on how the new guys do when they get to school.

I hope Myles comes in and takes it

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Tampveey post: 40777 said:

I would be very surprised if any Freshman play at A back. If so my guess would be Leggett.

I could see Autry on ST.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, Custis is what they expected? What exactly were they expecting. I've read on another site that he was #3 as of now. Has he moved up on the depth chart?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, Custis is what they expected? What exactly were they expecting. I've read on another site that he was #3 as of now. Has he moved up on the depth chart?

A very good back...lot of potential.

He's still likely #3 but remember this is only his 4th college practice...a depth chart right now is pretty much useless.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Eric I would love to hear about Noble and McNair. I'm guessing Noble is the #1 Nickel back? I haven't heard much about either recently.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow

I know we're excited about these AB's, but IMO they were taken with the hopes to play in 2015 or 2016. Here are the AB's in front of the Freshman:

Days - RS-SR
Hill - RS-SR
Bostic - RS-SR
Perkins - RS-SR
Zenon - RS-SR
Andrews - RS-SO
Snoddy - RS-JR

That's 3 deep before they even step on campus, with the least experienced among them having 3 years under his belt. The only way they get PT is if CPJ wants to prepare them to play next year.