Increased stipends in the works

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Actually, from the "equity in athletics" site http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
Every "1-A" school in the country MADE money on their football program.
66 out of 127 '1-A' athletic programs reported a profit in 2013 ranging from over 37 million (Alabama) to as little as 5k. The remaining schools reported expenses matching revenue.

Interesting. Could you link to the page which shows what you claim rather than the front page?

Animal02

Banned
Interesting. Could you link to the page which shows what you claim rather than the front page?
It does not give you a page....it creates a spread sheet. I selected "download selected data" then "NCAA Div 1-a", "confirm" and then '2013" and "all data combined" it will give you a massive spread sheet....I just reduced it to football revenue and expenses and overall revenue and expenses which made it easier to manipulate.

I was surprised that none showed a loss for football.....not even Eastern Michigan which has averaged attendance of around 6k.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll have to wait and see what effect this has, if any. It was either do this or see the student-athletes organize. That would have been fun to watch.

Imho, the amount of the subsidy won't make much difference as long as the amount is controlled annually. The real danger would be allowing a subsidy bidding war. As long as that doesn't happen, I think other considerations will predominate for most recruits. It might affect recruits from really poor families, but we'll have to see. I also don't think it will have much effect on Tech; you either decide to come to Tech or you don't on other grounds. But … at this point, who knows?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
UT stipend is $5500 as opposed to 1650 for Tech. That will be huge pitch in recruiting. This is going to get shady really quick
can anybody explain that difference? The AJC couldn't, or didn't. Just doesn't seem logical on the face of it.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
The dollar values are from the colleges' Cost of Attendance reports created by each college financial aid department. They have been creating these for a while so it isn't something new just from the stipends. For reasons known only to Ga Tech and UT, each has set their expected personal or "other" expenses at these levels.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Cost of Attendance includes stuff already covered like tuition, room & board, etc. It's not clear how big the stipend difference would be

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Cost of Attendance includes all those items but also a separate line for Personal Expenses/Other. If you look at link I posted in first reply above, you will see GT's is right at $1,600 and UT at $5,500 for that category.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Cost of Attendance includes all those items but also a separate line for Personal Expenses/Other. If you look at link I posted in first reply above, you will see GT's is right at $1,600 and UT at $5,500 for that category.
So maybe the answer is party down at UT?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Just watched a documentary on Netflix called Schooled: The Price of College Sports which addresses this topic and goes much more in depth. Interesting watch and makes you question the NCAA. However, it is mostly being shown from one view point. On another note, it bewilders me that UNC did not even get a slap on the wrist for The Paper Classes.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I question at some point whether the NCAA will have less and less power and whether the respective conferences will
start to decide these issues for their teams. I still think a centralized body like the NCAA is important but the organization as it exists today is too inconsistent on issues from school to school.