Increased stipends in the works

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
AJC article by Sugiura:

"Gorgia Tech is preparing room in the budget for cost-of-attendance stipends that will be given to scholarship athletes starting in the fall. The NCAA’s “power five” conferences, granted autonomy to pass measures without the support of the remainder of Division I, passed legislation Jan. 17 to supplement scholarships with a stipend to cover cost-of-living expenses."

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/26/tech-readying-to-dole-out-stipends/

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well - this will be interesting. I guess it is going to get a little crazy to begin with the variance kids will see.

Hopefully we can successfully pitch the idea that the real money for GT alums comes after you leave the school.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
UT stipend is $5500 as opposed to 1650 for Tech. That will be huge pitch in recruiting. This is going to get shady really quick

In my last job before retirement I was a part time job recruiter for engineering grads at UT, Miss St, and Clemson. I also recruited at GT and So Tech. It was very evident that UT had a outrageous amont of money compared to these other schools and it was very enlightening as I projected their financial advantage to their football progam (they won a NC during that era).

thwgjacket

This is sooo dumb. About 20 of the FBS teams across the country make money. The other 100 lose it or barely break even. ESPN and the Sports Networks are the people that make money off these kids. Then they turn around and put it on the colleges. Colleges were already paying almost 3 times as much for football players as a normal student. Where do these people think the money is going to come from for some of these schools?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
This is sooo dumb. About 20 of the FBS teams across the country make money. The other 100 lose it or barely break even. ESPN and the Sports Networks are the people that make money off these kids. Then they turn around and put it on the colleges. Colleges were already paying almost 3 times as much for football players as a normal student. Where do these people think the money is going to come from for some of these schools?
It's a drop in the bucket to P5 schools, which is the only place it applies. Tech's total stipend cost is going to be around $500k, which is less than 1% of our AA budget.

How does this not further the inequities in recruiting? Does each school get to determine how much their stipend is?

The stipends are basically equal to the "personal expenses" part of the cost of attendance estimate that all schools that receive federal financial aid have to provide to the government. The guidelines on how to determine that number are pretty lax, so the finaid department basically gets to make it up.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
The stipends are basically equal to the "personal expenses" part of the cost of attendance estimate that all schools that receive federal financial aid have to provide to the government. The guidelines on how to determine that number are pretty lax, so the finaid department basically gets to make it up.
It appears to be the "Other" category under Living Arrangement from the College Navigator - http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=university+tennessee&s=all&id=221759#expenses You can search for different schools. Will be interesting to see how they change now.

thwgjacket

It's a drop in the bucket to P5 schools, which is the only place it applies. Tech's total stipend cost is going to be around $500k, which is less than 1% of our AA budget.

You're right, P5 teams can afford it. My post was more to non-P5 teams. Should they even try to compete with P5 teams in recruiting. Even programs like Marshall, a good G5 team are strapped for cash.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
You're right, P5 teams can afford it. My post was more to non-P5 teams. Should they even try to compete with P5 teams in recruiting. Even programs like Marshall, a good G5 team are strapped for cash.
I'm not exactly sure how the new P5 autonomy rules work. It is possible that the G5 conferences are still not even allowed to offer COA stipends since it was passed through using the new P5 mechanism in the NCAA.

thwgjacket

I'm not exactly sure how the new P5 autonomy rules work. It is possible that the G5 conferences are still not even allowed to offer COA stipends since it was passed through using the new P5 mechanism in the NCAA.
Yea I think they still have to vote on it. They'll most likely do what the P5 schools did. You can pay it if you can afford it but it won't be mandatory.

Animal02

Banned

Actually, from the "equity in athletics" site http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
Every "1-A" school in the country MADE money on their football program.
66 out of 127 '1-A' athletic programs reported a profit in 2013 ranging from over 37 million (Alabama) to as little as 5k. The remaining schools reported expenses matching revenue.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The colleges find ways to dump all the extra money coming in into flashy new facilities and high powered coaching staffs. The kids being recruited are heavily influenced in their decisions by these things. Once they get to school they complain they aren't getting paid because all the money goes to coaches and facilities. Funny how that works.