Incoming Transfers?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Factories have money to throw at these appeal processes. That's probably a good place to start on why things are falling their way.

It seems like DeFoor had a lawyer who worked on behalf of all the Ole Miss guys. I think his waiver still took longer than others to come through. I think the lawyer was mainly working for one of the big name players and helped the others for free.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems like DeFoor had a lawyer who worked on behalf of all the Ole Miss guys. I think his waiver still took longer than others to come through. I think the lawyer was mainly working for one of the big name players and helped the others for free.

And Tom Mars now works for the NCAA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The Ole Miss guys got the Penn State treatment. WHen you're transferring out of a program that's just been hammered with accusations and infractions, the waiver board gets generous to the affected athletes.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
His was a fairly unique situation.

"There were reports of verbal abuse by Nick Petrino -- son of then Louisville coach Bobby Petrino -- against Travis during practices during the season."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...-receives-eligibility-waiver-ncaa/1987288001/

And for those who keep insisting the NCAA has the final approval, your posted link states otherwise:

"The Division I Committee for Legislative Relief, which is comprised of administrators from schools and conferences within Division I, approved Travis’ waiver on appeal. Then, a request to the ACC faculty athletics representatives was required to waive the conference’s restriction against immediate eligibility for undergraduate student-athletes who transfer directly from one conference school to another. The final decision from the faculty athletics representatives was communicated to FSU on Monday."
While this is true, I think the conference pretty much follows suit of the NCAA. If the NCAA waiver is granted, the conference will grant it also. I highly doubt you ever see a case where the NCAA grants a waiver, but then the conference does not.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
While this is true, I think the conference pretty much follows suit of the NCAA. If the NCAA waiver is granted, the conference will grant it also. I highly doubt you ever see a case where the NCAA grants a waiver, but then the conference does not.

You'd be surprised. It is well documented that the ACC has turned down waiver requests before, and they cannot review/grant them UNTIL the NCAA has granted said waiver.

That being said, I spoke with my friend yesterday and got this tidbit of info. There is some legitimate hope, if not quite downright expectation, on the part of the staff surrounding Clayton getting his waiver. They are also hopeful, but less expectant that Syms will get waived. Ezzard is trickier, but is now deemed as more possible than originally thought.

One of the interesting nuggets I picked up in the conversation is that something that should by rule have absolutely no bearing in any of these decisions might actually help swing a decision our way. Apparently, (and I would have to do a LOT of research to verify, but I have no reason to doubt my source), the NCAA and the ACC have typically been more lenient to transfers going into and out of programs undergoing major coaching changes. The expectation/hope is that at least 2 if not all 3 of these guys get cleared last minute.

There was no indication given on Allen.

So, while still a longshot to get all 3, I am more hopeful today than yesterday.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You'd be surprised. It is well documented that the ACC has turned down waiver requests before, and they cannot review/grant them UNTIL the NCAA has granted said waiver.

That being said, I spoke with my friend yesterday and got this tidbit of info. There is some legitimate hope, if not quite downright expectation, on the part of the staff surrounding Clayton getting his waiver. They are also hopeful, but less expectant that Syms will get waived. Ezzard is trickier, but is now deemed as more possible than originally thought.

One of the interesting nuggets I picked up in the conversation is that something that should by rule have absolutely no bearing in any of these decisions might actually help swing a decision our way. Apparently, (and I would have to do a LOT of research to verify, but I have no reason to doubt my source), the NCAA and the ACC have typically been more lenient to transfers going into and out of programs undergoing major coaching changes. The expectation/hope is that at least 2 if not all 3 of these guys get cleared last minute.

So, while still a longshot to get all 3, I am more hopeful today than yesterday.

Coming from the resident waiver pessimist, this is a good sign. ;) Fingers crossed.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow

That would be awesome. Likewise, I'm not holding my breath, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

I have another theory on Clayton as well. I think they may look at the situation as a whole also. If Clayton's waiver is rejected, I would imagine he can apply for a medical hardship waiver and still have two seasons to play after this year. The NCAA may take that into consideration and go ahead and issue his immediate eligibility. He did already use his redshirt but has also never played in more than 4 games in any season and has been injured in the past IIRC. The injury alone may not warrant a 6th year medical hardship, but that on top of having to lose another year of eligibility due to transfer may sway that. Maybe they'll look at it as, "do we give him 3yrs to play 2 or just go ahead and just let him play 2?"

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I know there's no rule that coaching changes should be factored in, but it absolutely makes sense that they would. For all the talk of "commit to the school, not the coach" we all know good and well that coaches set recruits up with very detailed expectations about how they will be utilized on the field.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I know there's no rule that coaching changes should be factored in, but it absolutely makes sense that they would. For all the talk of "commit to the school, not the coach" we all know good and well that coaches set recruits up with very detailed expectations about how they will be utilized on the field.
It also makes sense too for a coaching change at the school you are transferring to. Think about how many guys may have liked the school and wanted to play close to home, but weren't the type of player we were looking for? Or didn't want to play here because of the lesser likelihood of making it to the next level. Those are real-life scenarios.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Stock piling talent has KILLED the game as we know it. They promise these kids playing time if they work hard, but that's not how it works out all the time. But if they don't get playing time the coaches get their butts hurt if the player wants to go somewhere where they will use his talents. Essentially tons of 3--4 star kids become safety nets for teams like bama, Clemson, ugag.

I hope we “Stock pile” the living hell out of recruits.

I see nothing wrong with getting as many great S/As on your team as possible.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Coming from the resident waiver pessimist, this is a good sign. ;) Fingers crossed.

It's always funny that people who stick to actual facts and probable outcomes based on verifiable history are called pessimists. I'm not completely sold on any of this because history and the rules are against any of this happening. I keep bringing it up because people keep introducing opinions as facts in this debate.

That being said, the info I got was somewhat hopeful and there IS a cultural zeitgeist vis a vis student athlete rights and transfer waiver eligibility going on right now.

Keep your fingers crossed but remember that history and the actual rules are not in favor of any of these three getting a waiver.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's always funny that people who stick to actual facts and probable outcomes based on verifiable history are called pessimists. I'm not completely sold on any of this because history and the rules are against any of this happening. I keep bringing it up because people keep introducing opinions as facts in this debate.

That being said, the info I got was somewhat hopeful and there IS a cultural zeitgeist vis a vis student athlete rights and transfer waiver eligibility going on right now.

Keep your fingers crossed but remember that history and the actual rules are not in favor of any of these three getting a waiver.

But it is not totally facts tho. You have yet to present an intraconference transfer where the ACC has overridden the NCAA decision on immediate eligibility

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But it is not totally facts tho. You have yet to present an intraconference transfer where the ACC has overridden the NCAA decision on immediate eligibility

I'd have to go back a few years to get you a football name. Football players don't generally transfer intra-conference in the ACC. It happens all the time in ACC basketball though, and the same group of people make those decisions. Saddiq Bey was looking at transferring from NCSU to BC or WFU but went elsewhere once the ACC told him he'd sit regardless. The last time it impacted us in football was Nick Brigham, and the ACC was all too ready to give Maryland the shaft at the end of 2012, as they were prepping to leave the conference.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The "cultural zietgeist" is the very real possibility that the federal courts will ok the players forming unions and/or holding that, since players are the de facto employees of the universities, the present transfer rules constitute an anti-trust violation. This kind of thing can make you pretty sensitive to the need to look less like someone who is restricting opportunity, no matter what the probability of anything actually happening (about 30%, I'd say).

Let's just hope that your friend is right. We can certainly use Clayton and Syms this year. Then all we have to do is hope Clayton can avoid the injury bug that has plagued him so far.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's an article I read this morning about FSU's transfer QB Jordan Travis that goes into much more detail about the transfer process.

https://seminoles.com/everything-worked-out-inside-jordan-travis-transfer-waiver-requests/

According to this article:
-Travis applied for his initial waiver in April
-He was denied in mid-June. The NCAA provides reasons for denying waiver requests.
-A few weeks later, FSU presented appeal to the NCAA's Committee on Legislative Relief (CLS) - this is a different organization that sees the initial waiver request.
-Less than 3 weeks after appeal, his waiver was granted by the CLS on July 24
-Once the NCAA waiver was granted, the request was submitted to the ACC
-Monday morning, the Faculty Athletics Representative from each ACC school had a teleconference to weigh the case. In 2 hours, they had approved it.

FSU's compliance office had an extremely large hand in getting this accomplished. I surely hope our staff guys are doing whatever possible to help these guys get approval. Of course we aren't privy to the personal information in the reasoning for any of these waivers, but I still find it extremely hard to believe that Travis was granted his waiver for several reasons:

-Intra conference transfer
-Not moving close to home (magic 100 mile radius we've all heard about)
-He is leaving a program that has undergone a coaching change, but he entered the portal when Bobby Petrino was still the head coach

I see nothing that could warrant his need to move to Tallahassee to play football, and how playing this year will be benificial to his situation.