Incoming Transfers?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I 100% believe this happens now. There was an article a few years back about a defensive end at the Naval Academy (i'm sorry, I tried to find his name but could not) where he said that he was actively being recruited by several SEC schools to come play for them.
I just believe that the only presently available deterrent for this type of activity, as imperfect as it is, happens to be making the player sit for a year.

Why are guys like Saban and Kirby the ones who whine about the transfer portal the most, then? Free transfers prevent them from being able to stockpile talent. Justin Fields knew he could get a waiver, so he had no incentive to stay at uga and wait his turn. Looser transfer rules benefit schools farther down the food chain because they can offer playing time to guys buried behind multiple 5 star recruits at a place like Bama. Saban hates that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why are guys like Saban and Kirby the ones who whine about the transfer portal the most, then? Free transfers prevent them from being able to stockpile talent. Justin Fields knew he could get a waiver, so he had no incentive to stay at uga and wait his turn. Looser transfer rules benefit schools farther down the food chain because they can offer playing time to guys buried behind multiple 5 star recruits at a place like Bama. Saban hates that.

It works in both directions. A factory can try and poach a guy that was marginal out of HS but shows out at a lower tier school and the guys buried at the factories can try and find a starting gig. In the main, however, it's generally a move downward to gain PT.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Well, if the assumption that Saban and Smart hate it is correct, then I'm all for it. It's got to be good for us. Right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, if the assumption that Saban and Smart hate it is correct, then I'm all for it. It's got to be good for us. Right?
They hate it because it makes it harder to stock pile talent. Stock piling does two things for those guys: 1) it give them incredible depth, iow, insurance against injury/attrition, and 2) it keeps talent away from their opponents. If transferring was made easier it would likely benefit the non-factories and lesser factories more than the big boys. The big boys have already swollen rosters full of highly rated guys, many of which feel very unsatisfied because they aren't playing. The chances are greater that they lose rather than add guys.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
They hate it because it makes it harder to stock pile talent. Stock piling does two things for those guys: 1) it give them incredible depth, iow, insurance against injury/attrition, and 2) it keeps talent away from their opponents. If transferring was made easier it would likely benefit the non-factories and lesser factories more than the big boys. The big boys have already swollen rosters full of highly rated guys, many of which feel very unsatisfied because they aren't playing. The chances are greater that they lose rather than add guys.

And, this is exactly how the "Bear" dominated for so many years in the SEC/nation. He would not only recruit the guys he wanted to play on his team, but he would also recruit the guys he did not want to play against - there were no limits on scholarship numbers, and he had the $$ to do it.

Basically, using over-recruiting and gray shirt rules, sa(t)an has tried to do the same kind of thing, although it is harder now. He does not mind "cutting" guys though, by not continuing their scholarship if he realizes they are not going to be a contributor to his program or a threat to his program at another school.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Not that it’s a hard set ruling but I just listened to a GT pod cast on gojackets.com and it seemed like the reporters said it seems unlikely that very few of the transfers actually will get their waivers approved to play. Any idea why they seem to be striking out on immediate eligibility? So many other schools seem to be getting their transfer waivers approved for immediate eligibility. What gives?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not that it’s a hard set ruling but I just listened to a GT pod cast on gojackets.com and it seemed like the reporters said it seems unlikely that very few of the transfers actually will get their waivers approved to play. Any idea why they seem to be striking out on immediate eligibility? So many other schools seem to be getting their transfer waivers approved for immediate eligibility. What gives?

The process isn't transparent, so it is impossible to say. The blue blood programs have no trouble, though. It may depend on if you can get a good attorney.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This is where the boosters and the "100 dollar handshakes" hurt the athletes. The NCAA recognized years ago, that if players were allowed to transfer with no penalties, it would lead to the big schools "poaching" the best players off the smaller schools.
As a direct example, my brother-in-law was a top ranked tennis player for Clemson several years ago when they were a perennial powerhouse. He got an anonymous call from an Arkansas booster offering to buy him any kind of car he wanted if he would transfer to Arkansas. THAT WAS TENNIS..
Now translate that to football... Would any of us find it hard to imagine Nick Saban casually saying to a booster "You know we are really weak at cornerback this year. We've got some good young players but they are still a year away from being ready." That booster then finds out that there is an rising senior at Colorado who is an all-American cornerback. He reaches out anonymously and says I will pay you X dollars and give you a new car if you transfer to Alabama. And by the way, there is a good chance you will win a national championship...
This is why you have to sit a year when you transfer...
This would be why they would only get 1 transfer. It would flow both way. Look at bama with 3, 4 star DTs in one class. 1 will leave. That's an opportunity for a small school to pick him up to give him playing time. I always felt the transfer portal was for kids on bigger teams to go to a team where they know they will play. But let's make it even more challenging and say they don't have to sit a year if they go to a school in their home state (where they last played highschool ball)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Stock piling talent has KILLED the game as we know it. They promise these kids playing time if they work hard, but that's not how it works out all the time. But if they don't get playing time the coaches get their butts hurt if the player wants to go somewhere where they will use his talents. Essentially tons of 3--4 star kids become safety nets for teams like bama, Clemson, ugag.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Stock piling talent has KILLED the game as we know it. They promise these kids playing time if they work hard, but that's not how it works out all the time. But if they don't get playing time the coaches get their butts hurt if the player wants to go somewhere where they will use his talents. Essentially tons of 3--4 star kids become safety nets for teams like bama, Clemson, ugag.
As long as the playoff remains a beauty contest, this won't change. If you allow P5 conferences auto bids abd make a real playoff you'll start to see talent disperse again.

Also the celebrity coach thing doesn't help, Saban, Dabo, and Urban control the market wrt playoff access.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So many other schools seem to be getting their transfer waivers approved for immediate eligibility. What gives?

Other than a few high-profile names, I don't know that this is accurate. I believe most transfers are still sitting, we just see the news stories on the few who get waivers because of their ststus as stars in CFB.

ScGold

Banned
Because no where else had loud mouth baseball player say some stupid $hit and let it get twisted to allow justin an immediate eligibility. We aren't that school.