In this thread: I face facts about Ted Roof

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Bud Foster doesn’t scare me like he used to... now it’s the talent surrounding that goofy looking venables...
He may not scare you but he has the attention of Coach Johnson I can promise you that. He's good, very good. He and Venables are the best in the ACC. Talent notwithstanding. Venables does look a little goofy kind of wide eyed fanatic look to him.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
im no expert of football x's n o's but....

didnt coach groh leave him with a team based on his 3-4 d putting coach roof abit behind the 8 ball personnel wise after going back to the 4-3 d?

and there has to be some advantage to having a fairly good coach who graduated from tech and bleeds gold? i think our ad stansbury gives us that same advantage.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've always been a Roof fan and wanted him to be in line to be our next head coach. After a few years of dismal D performance, that desire waned. To me legacy is what college football is about. We'll never be consistently elite again given the recruiting challenges, but I've made my peace with to top 30 with forays into the top 10. Lightning can strike like 1990.

He keeps this up and I'd love to see him as HC. I like his demeanor and past. Plus I think he would be very good as head of recruiting at GT. But his D's have to continue to get better. We can't be like Clemson where Dabo is cheerleader in charge and they have a premier O and D coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Roof did not do what Paul had urged he needed to do for 4 years it seems. Our defense had decent enough talent to be better than years like 2014 where we were in the bottom 100 in D. But there were obvious improvements that we could make with how we execute our D that were not made until this year finally. And the results are there now. There is a better blueprint.

My takeaway.

1) it took ted too long to change; but he did.
2) there is no reason every year we can't be a top 40 or so D. Sure you will have some off years. but for the most part we should be in this area vs the bottom 70, 80, 100 arena.
3) if Ted keeps it up, like I have routinely said, and shows progress for more than one year, I will support him and not mock his hair gel.

Right now he is calling good games and I like how his D style is. The other years it was puke to me. It was all 1/4 1/4 1/2 covg with straight up DL play and basic crap blitzes. LBs looked lost. The DBs were way off. Some of this has showed up in 2 min D. But; those calls have been ok...just missed opportunities.

This year is a ton more cv 3, cv2, man, less quarters, WAY more DL Slanting, WAY more TE and X stunts, and nicer blitz combos off the stunts. We rarely saw any of that in prior years. We are also running far less 3 man rushes. Also, we have moved our S and DB up more in spots...

Keep this up, and I will be happy. But, he is not HC for me....would rather have Monken or someone else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've always been a Roof fan and wanted him to be in line to be our next head coach. After a few years of dismal D performance, that desire waned. To me legacy is what college football is about. We'll never be consistently elite again given the recruiting challenges, but I've made my peace with to top 30 with forays into the top 10. Lightning can strike like 1990.

He keeps this up and I'd love to see him as HC. I like his demeanor and past. Plus I think he would be very good as head of recruiting at GT. But his D's have to continue to get better. We can't be like Clemson where Dabo is cheerleader in charge and they have a premier O and D coach.

I think I fall in the middle. I am not a ROOF fan, but I am a fan of a former player coming home to run our Defense. I wasn't initially opposed to the hire as so many in the fan base were, however. It might be why I was willing to allow time for improvement.

CTR, in all likelihood, will never be a top 10 DC in NCAA football. I am ok with that. I just think that continuity in a program aids recruiting. We are seeing the dividends of that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Roof did not do what Paul had urged he needed to do for 4 years it seems. Our defense had decent enough talent to be better than years like 2014 where we were in the bottom 100 in D. But there were obvious improvements that we could make with how we execute our D that were not made until this year finally. And the results are there now. There is a better blueprint.

My takeaway.

2) there is no reason every year we can't be a top 40 or so D. Sure you will have some off years. but for the most part we should be in this area vs the bottom 70, 80, 100 arena.
3) if Ted keeps it up, like I have routinely said, and shows progress for more than one year, I will support him and not mock his hair gel.

Right now he is calling good games and I like how his D style is. The other years it was puke to me. It was all 1/4 1/4 1/2 covg with straight up DL play and basic crap blitzes. LBs looked lost. The DBs were way off. Some of this has showed up in 2 min D. But; those calls have been ok...just missed opportunities.

This year is a ton more cv 3, cv2, man, less quarters, WAY more DL Slanting, WAY more TE and X stunts, and nicer blitz combos off the stunts. We rarely saw any of that in prior years. We are also running far less 3 man rushes. Also, we have moved our S and DB up more in spots...

Keep this up, and I will be happy. But, he is not HC for me....would rather have Monken or someone else.

I wouldn't be opposed to him being HC if he stuck to the option as our O.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

My takeaway.

The bottom 100 is an enormous group of teams.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I was not a fan of Roof when he coached here under O'Leary, and I certainly didn't like it when he was hired again. I have been a BIG critic over the past few years, and I still cringe from time to time, but overall I am eating crow, and frankly it doesn't taste too bad....LOL We still don't have a GREAT defense (probably never will, no matter who the DC is), but we finally have a GOOD defense, and the credit goes to Roof. I just hope he can repeat it next year. If he can, then the future looks good.

Consider the following passage from Wikepedia on Roof:

"After spending the first season coaching the Yellow Jackets linebackers, Roof was promoted to defensive coordinator. He was nominated for the 2000 Broyles Award, an annual honor given to the nation's top assistant coach, when his defense finished the season ranked 12th in the nation in rushing defense and 20th in scoring defense. The following season, the Yellow Jackets were again one of the top defenses in the nation, ranking 23rd nationally in total defense and 32nd against the run".

Obviously omitted is the 1999 season (Roof's first as a DC), during which he took over a defense that ranked 88th the prior year. In 1999 we were 100th in total defense, so in that first year we improved very little. However the next two years Roof was very good. But since our O was #1 in 1999 folks only remember 1999 and what could have been had we had a better defense. Seems like Roof took over a crappy situation and had a crappy first year, then did a lot better.

He also turned around bad D's at Duke and Minnesota. At Penn St. he took over a top 30ish type D that remained top 30ish in his one year there. O'Leary tried to hire him again as DC at UCF prior to his going to PSU. Only at Auburn did his D appear to regress.

His second stint at GT he took over a crappy defense again. While his defenses have tended to show improvement in the latter half of the season they have mostly been crappy until this year. In particular lack of pass rush has been a constant issue as DL have had trouble winning battles 1-on-1.

I am not sure if we have turned the corner or not. I do think defensive recruiting, and particularly on the DL has improved. Glanton and Henderson are quick, Adams is hard to move, Owens looks promising, St. Amour has come on, and our top 6 highest ranked recruits are all defenders. We have a lot of good looking D back types and guys like Alexander, Mitchell, and Jordan-Swilling look like solid additions to the front 7. We have Gray coming back and a lot of good looking D-back types.

I am cautiously optimistic on our D and Roof going forward. At times I feel he's been rather vanilla, and I've hated the way we've played shotgun spread teams. But I think now he may have more of the quick type DL that he prefers to run the kinds of slants and stunts he likes. Hopefully he's learned to keep it simple against the fast offenses and can continue to be more aggressive with quicker personnel.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We lose some key contributors next year in the secondary. Bright side is a lot of talent and athleticism is waiting in the wings. But the twins and CG etc will be missed. Dline will be improved and LB will be a strength next year imo.

Overall I think the D will be even better next year. Still won't be elite but should be good. A hard nosed group that doesn't quit.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I liked how Christian Campbell looked when he played. Although he made some mistakes he looks really competitive and he clearly likes to hit. He did some good things I thought, and I think he can be a good player back there. I also think Jalen Johnson is ready, so I'm not too worried at Safety. With Gray that's three guys back there who will hit you.

At corner Lamont Simmons saw a lot of action and should take a step forward next year. Ajani Kerr seems to be coming on as a corner. Askew played mostly on ST's and will be in the mix next year. We have some four star types (Swilling, Jaylon King, Gentry Bonds) and good looking prospects in Dameon Williams, Jarrett Cole, and Tariq Carpenter.

Next year I see DE and CB/Nickel as the least experienced positions. St. Amour will be our only known rush threat at DE. Merriweather can rotate in and provide depth. Thankfully we have some quick style DT's who can help get pressure, but man how nice would it be to have some DE's that can consistently apply pressure?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I liked how Christian Campbell looked when he played. Although he made some mistakes he looks really competitive and he clearly likes to hit. He did some good things I thought, and I think he can be a good player back there. I also think Jalen Johnson is ready, so I'm not too worried at Safety. With Gray that's three guys back there who will hit you.

At corner Lamont Simmons saw a lot of action and should take a step forward next year. Ajani Kerr seems to be coming on as a corner. Askew played mostly on ST's and will be in the mix next year. We have some four star types (Swilling, Jaylon King, Gentry Bonds) and good looking prospects in Dameon Williams, Jarrett Cole, and Tariq Carpenter.

Next year I see DE and CB/Nickel as the least experienced positions. St. Amour will be our only known rush threat at DE. Merriweather can rotate in and provide depth. Thankfully we have some quick style DT's who can help get pressure, but man how nice would it be to have some DE's that can consistently apply pressure?

Maybe Branch goes to SDE next year, he could be a force there imo

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Don't forget about Owens at DE. I've been very impressed by him in limited playing time.

Ted Roof as HC? NO !!! I grant that he has shown some improvement this year in his style of play, but he had a chance as HC at Duke and fell flat on his face. We need a proven offensive mind for HC. Generally speaking, defensive coaches do not make good head coaches, although there are some notable exceptions.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof loves the Institute. Ted Roof knows D football better than almost everyone on this board. He sees his talent day in and day out, and he knows how to use this talent appropriately to give GT the BEST chance to win. No one else you bring in would be as invested as this man. I appreciate what he has done. Would I like it if we did better against 2-minute offenses over the past few years? Sure, but this is about talent AND depth, as much as it is about scheme and coaching.