In this thread: I face facts about Ted Roof

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched the 2nd half. Our fits were horrible. We ran around blocks at times. We missed lots of one on one tackles. I was impressed with BJS and Roof. Certainly players just had horrible effort in the second half. Really disappointing, because we needed those players. Some players didn't look 100% either. Just from the way they lined up, looked to be in pain, and certainly not ready to take on blockers.

This was weird as we seemed to play really off on the CB's which was definitely different from the last 4-5 weeks. I don't understand why? We very rarely get beat deep when we play up and press. Now of course you are going to get beat some, but I do not think that percentage goes up by playing off. Just a low percentage throw either way you slice it. The percentage the throw has not gone down by playing off or in quarters. We desperately needed the safeties up in the box playing against the run. Gray was still a beast and a tackling machine.

It was really disappointing to see how bad our fits were against the run this past week. Hopefully we will get back to playing stout against the run. I'm good if they beat us deep. Just don't want that ball run down our throat. That is a guaranteed way to lose.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It’s difficult to tease out the problems. I think a lot of the root issues on the team right now stem from the offense. It simply isn’t as good as it used to be. My belief is that it’s because of the offensive line, and that it comes from Mike Sewak. But he’s a friend of Johnson’s, and it’s hard to fire a friend.

Because the offense has declined, the pressure to have a better defense has increased. Used to be that we could settle for a mediocre defense and be pretty good. That gives the defense options. They can play read and react and wait until the other team made a mistake or be aggressive as hell and either force an error or have the opponent score. Then the offense would take it from there. That’s not happening anymore. I think changes to the offensive staff are warranted, and I’ve come to accept that changes to the defensive staff are, too.

But none of the issues we face right now will be solved until we can run the base offense with ruthless efficiency. Unless or until that gets fixed, the defense will be a secondary issue.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am confident that the players did exactly as they were coached and didn't try to hard or guess that created any mistakes... NOT!
It is on the player to make the correct block, go to the correct space, etc. They can be taught and coached, but as soon as one or two MISS THE ASSIGNMENT, it usually spells doom on that play. Regarding CTR and any of the other coaches, it is highly doubtful that they tell a player to randomly do something different that is not scripted on a particular play call / decision tree.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is spot on, a weak D has to attack and try to create down and distance advantage. If we set back and they are stronger they pound it and pound it , we are tired and we lose. I like a defense like Manny Diaz runs

And I like the athletes/D-linemen/linebackers that Miami can recruit. Talent will always make teams better, no matter the system. I realize many of our fans like the "attack" mode, but my guess is that many of them would be complaining too when we get beat "attacking". I find it funny how many times we sent 5-6 guys in the pass rush this year without even breathing on the QB.