In honor of UT tearing down the goalposts today. Let’s rewind to simpler times.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
Dont under sell getting out of gt the old way.

Life is full of shaft filled opportunities and you don't get free tutor.

Tech had to grow .
5000 to 20000 .
Gt to really restrict entrance and greatly encourage advance placement in hs.
If u get in u get out.

Our football and bb were headed to 90% gradcrate.
If you get in.. you get out? Maybe.. but not on your major. Many engineers end up changing to business or env engineering

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For the life of me, I don't understand why head coaches keep hiring him. He must give a great interview or something.
Agree - he must find a sucker for his jargon.

He was baylor head coach when i first saw him . They played Texas Tech who ran air raid. Baylor defense did same thing thru first q plus 7 minutes = score 42-3. We left w 5 minutes to go in first half . .

In our game against them he met a coach way smarter than him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree - he must find a sucker for his jargon.

He was baylor head coach when i first saw him . They played Texas Tech who ran air raid. Baylor defense did same thing thru first q plus 7 minutes = score 42-3. We left w 5 minutes to go in first half . .

In our game against them he met a coach way smarter than him.
Another guy like him is gene chizik - the current UNC ast head coach for defense .

GT33

Helluva Engineer
So guys that sent men to the moon using slide rules were not as smart. My youngest son took probability at NCSU. He made 100 points higher on his SAT then I did. I could do the problems he couldn't figure out. I don't buy they are smarter, maybe better prepared and exposed to more information now at a younger age.
I don't think things have changed at all. GT students didn't have computers or calculators, some didn't even have phones or tvs or cars. Yeah, we wrote letters on paper with a pen that didn't even have ink in them. Somehow we put a man on the moon. These days GT students walk around with more computing power in their pocket than we had in the primes of our careers. They have nearly limitless access to information nearly as fast as they can type, they can learn vastly larger numbers of topics in much shorter periods of time. They're the same old GT student, smart & resourceful but in different ways. It's just different. 5 decades from now, new GT students be laughing about how old fashioned and out of touch their grandfathers in the 20's were. Life goes on.

Buzzter

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think things have changed at all. GT students didn't have computers or calculators, some didn't even have phones or tvs or cars. Yeah, we wrote letters on paper with a pen that didn't even have ink in them. Somehow we put a man on the moon. These days GT students walk around with more computing power in their pocket than we had in the primes of our careers. They have nearly limitless access to information nearly as fast as they can type, they can learn vastly larger numbers of topics in much shorter periods of time. They're the same old GT student, smart & resourceful but in different ways. It's just different. 5 decades from now, new GT students be laughing about how old fashioned and out of touch their grandfathers in the 20's were. Life goes on.
Differential Y, differential X, Might they know the difference then?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this whole business of permanent metal goal posts is like not using paper ballots in elections: completely unnecessary and should be be deep-sixed asap. I think it all started for appearance reasons and because replacing wood goalposts became a maintenance issue. To <the nether region> with that. There's nothing wrong with wood goalposts; they work just fine for American football. (You do need metal for Rugby since the posts have to extend so high due to the narrow base.) Go back to wood and let the students tear them down when ever it seems appropriate.

Oh, and have a supply available. In the past opposing fans were known to steal goalposts to make a nuisance of themselves.