Improvements to BDS and game attendance and atmosphere...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I believe you're wrong, I'm pretty sure we were mathematically eliminated back around the 10th of November. I'm not justifying anyone's so called "excuses" but that's a pretty dumb comment followed by another one about not being true fans. We simply don't have many fans to begin with, coupled with the fact that we're not having the year we should've had then it's just a poisonous mixture and the attendance this year clearly demonstrates that. The real fans are always gonna support, but we're definitely not gonna fill BDS when we're underachieving. It's pretty straight forward.

We were eliminated when Pitt beat VT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were eliminated when Pitt beat VT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That happened the week we beat Miami. I sure thought there was still a chance for a big tie for 1st on the day we played UVA. I guess I was wrong. At any rate, I still say there's no excuse for STHs not to attend a big conference game, even if the title is not on the line. As far as non-STHs, I can understand for non-regular fans, but it's still a chance to see an important game and support the team you cheer for.

Animal02

Banned
I believe you're wrong, I'm pretty sure we were mathematically eliminated back around the 10th of November. I'm not justifying anyone's so called "excuses" but that's a pretty dumb comment followed by another one about not being true fans. We simply don't have many fans to begin with, coupled with the fact that we're not having the year we should've had then it's just a poisonous mixture and the attendance this year clearly demonstrates that. The real fans are always gonna support, but we're definitely not gonna fill BDS when we're underachieving. It's pretty straight forward.
Nope, had Pitt lost to VT and UM, and there was also a three way tie, Tech would have done the coastal.

Animal02

Banned
I might remind you that UVA was #1 in the country in 1990 until Tech beat them at Charlottesville. Now have they done anything since then? Nah, don't think so, but they've always been a thorn in our side.
I remember that game well....was teaching theater arts at a local H.S, so I brought a small BW TV to keep up with the game during the work session....all the H.S kids were giving me crap as the game went on......fortunately I had the last laugh.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm confused which is normal are we talking about improvements to BDS or planning a trip this year?

As soon as it became clear that everyone agrees that the only way to fill the stadium is remain unbeaten.....Trips to Iceland talk became more compelling.

I mean if 1990 were to repeat...how many games into the season would we have to get to reach a full capacity game at BDS? And would it have to be a night game. Lol....wow.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
As soon as it became clear that everyone agrees that the only way to fill the stadium is remain unbeaten.....Trips to Iceland talk became more compelling.

I mean if 1990 were to repeat...how many games into the season would we have to get to reach a full capacity game at BDS? And would it have to be a night game. Lol....wow.
I'm thinking a 20 game winning streak might do it. And we might get GAMEDAY on campus

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, I want to offer an alternative line of reasoning. Certainly the Braves seem to do well offering a Premium Experience (TM). Maybe. Maybe they suck, they knew they were going to suck, and stabbed Atlanta in the back because they figured they didn't intend to be a serious baseball team again in the next 20 years, so why not make your money being a landlord on the backs of Cobb County taxpayers, like all good wealthy parasites do?

Sorry, I may be a bit angry still. It is hate week and all.

Anyway, as it happens through various connections I watch around a third of my games every year in a box seat. There's food, there's booze, there's comfy chairs.

I'm not a huge fan. I miss the swarm. If I wanted (and please pardon my crudity) fellation while I watched a game I'd stay home and ask my wife. And I wouldn't have to put my pants back on after, either.

We need to have a better atmosphere that's present in the moment. The swarm standing and cheering every down with prescribed motions for each situation? Awesome.

The 80 year old man who attends like 3 games a year and stands 10 mins at a time because that's all his legs can handle, but screams the good word at half time? Triple awesome. I want to put that old man on my shoulders when we rush the field after running over the mutts.

Sitting in a "premium" lounge buying booze and sitting at a nice bar while a game is played? Look, no offense, but I built my own company. I don't need the GT stadium to tell me I'm special. I won't deny that that's a draw, but I want to work on how to get those people out of the lounge and to open the box windows and join the stadium.

I think we need to do a few things. First, send staff on fact finding missions for dead sections. Next season, don't let the folks who won't stand up and cheer sit together. I don't care how much cash you give, if you can't muster a response to the Good Word you need to get your head on straight.

Second, engage with lively groups. Seed the dead sections (you know who you are) with 4 x 20 sections reserved for last 5 year alumni who joined the swarm every year they were a student.

Engage the frats. My Dad's plege class showed up for homecoming for the new Delta Sig house. The wreck parade ain't what it used to be. But approach the frats and help them send a pledge class to games on a rotation, like every X years your class goes to the Xth game and sits together.

Do the same with the IEEE, the ASME, etc. Have sections sold to the local sections, and have rotations for out of town sections. We're not poor, and it's not that hard to get Tech alumni to commit to one or two games a year, especially if you're caught up in supporting the team.

Hell, offer packages to GTSwarm members. I know y'all know how to cheer. Put us in the middle of a section and we'll change the atmosphere.

Ask Atlanta United- the Mercedes Benz clusterdome may be good for premium nickle and dining, but it kills fandom where BDS rocks. We can do things to accentuate that strength.

That's what's key in my view. Whatever my wife's talents (and they are many) or the wideness of my screen, or my affinity for no pants, there is no feeling of belonging like a good Tech game in the right section. That's what we ought to be selling. That's what gets folks out of their living rooms. Screw selling 10k plus seat lisences, up with the White and Gold.