Imposing our will

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Can we? yes! Will we? Unknown. Certainly we did that against Clemson, UGA, FSU and MSU. In regards to our offensive line vs. their defensive lines. Our O line last year finally jelled and literally was imposing their will on their opponent. You have 4 of the 5 guys back but the missing one was a very special part of the overall talent and chemistry that made last years group so special. Odds are good we will be really good again this season but you can not take credit for being great until you actually go out there and do it.

Go Jackets!

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Certainly we did that against Clemson, UGA, FSU and MSU. In regards to our offensive line vs. their defensive lines.

I don't have the box score in front of me right now, but I don't think our Oline manhandled Clemson's Dline. They were just too good for that. We did take advantage of the opportunities we had, enough to get the win. Similarly to VT.

We did impose our will on Miss St, UGA, and FSU. And in response to the OP, with returning 4/5 of our starters, I like our odds to keep that going by this season's end.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't have the box score in front of me right now, but I don't think our Oline manhandled Clemson's Dline. They were just too good for that. We did take advantage of the opportunities we had, enough to get the win. Similarly to VT.

We did impose our will on Miss St, UGA, and FSU. And in response to the OP, with returning 4/5 of our starters, I like our odds to keep that going by this season's end.

I tend to agree with the above.

Also, we imposed our will on Miami too. Them dudes didn't want it after about 2.5 quarters.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You are correct. Our OL did not dominate the CLEM DL. In fact, we sustained nothing on offense that day. We hit them for some big plays and kicked FGs, but we did not sustain any offense. There was no 5 yards a pop and grind them into dust. They were very quick and physical on the interior. It was the only game that was pretty much a stalemate up front. They didn't push us around, mind you, but it wasn't obviously in our favor either.

You are correct. Our OL did not dominate the CLEM DL. In fact, we sustained nothing on offense that day. We hit them for some big plays and kicked FGs, but we did not sustain any offense. There was no 5 yards a pop and grind them into dust. They were very quick and physical on the interior. It was the only game that was pretty much a stalemate up front. They didn't push us around, mind you, but it wasn't obviously in our favor either.
All true. But even tho they had Beasly and another world class lineman, we were not completely stifled as we had been against them, Georgia, Iowa, Miami in the past.
also IMHO losing Snoddy was more costly than a lot of people acknowledge.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Dont get too confident. Ladt three games the DC had an average of 1.5 years experience as a DC. 5 years previous The uga guy was are recruiter for ala and thencoached (co coached w saban).We were very good on offense but by end of first quarter coach had DCs number.
The clemson front 7 wasNFL ish and weplayed them well.
this year ol has three returning starters that already get the full system .further they canstop bull rush and bkock inspace. IF IF others (devine,brown,klock)coming along step up, we willbegreat. Coach can call the whole playbook

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

They had a pretty dominant D. Which begs the question....how did the mutts manage to make them look so awful in that 2nd half?...
Never mind.....they were just Clemsonning of course.... And their own OC gave em the shaft....I'm surprised their wasn't a post game fight between coordinators that day

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I have too much respect to ever expect to impose will on Bud Foster. He is the defensive version of Paul Johnson; a master schemer who you can only hope to outman, because you're not going to outscheme him.
I agree. A worth adversary. Foster is the guy who should be running VT. Beamer has gone the way of Bowden.