Impact of CNW on the offense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Miami scored 6 of 12 drives and only 2 TDs.
Clemson scored of 4 of 12 drives.
VT scored on 3 of 10 drives
Tenn scored on 4 of 10 drives in regulation

Pretty sure that same thoughts will be there because the alternative is to put the blame on the offense itself.
We were a horrible 4th qtr team... on both sides of the ball, but especially on D.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest impact the new D will have on our O will be psychological. Let's be honest, most of us thought the O could not miss a turn when we were playing a good team. I even believe it affected how CPJ called plays.

I think this could be huge. AppSt began their game against georgie by forcing two 3-and-out and a 3rd punt after 10 plays. We allowed two touchdowns in georgie's first 3 drives against us. If we actually start getting stops from our D, our O probably won't play as tight.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this could be huge. AppSt began their game against georgie by forcing two 3-and-out and a 3rd punt after 10 plays. We allowed two touchdowns in georgie's first 3 drives against us. If we actually start getting stops from our D, our O probably won't play as tight.
The season ended with the second half when duke kicked our axx. I repeat Duke kicked our A.

U are right about the defense giving hope to make something happen . I say i want some hope in 4th q we can get the ball back.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It is weird that Clemson has not scored a second half TD on us the last two years especially last year when we lost big leads in the second half routinely. That ridiculous play in 2016 when we had an interception late in the first half turn into a safety still pisses me off.

Got bored and took their foot off the gas at halftime

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson likes to get the ball first to start the game, which has its benefits. One major drawback is that if you let the other team score right before halftime you give the opponent back-to-back possessions. Having a defense that either knows how to play prevent correctly or that stays with their bread and butter will benefit us in that aspect as well. You used to be able to set your watch to Teddy's defense giving up a score (during both his stints as a DC) so hopefully that gives the O a little boost mentally as well.

Paul Johnson likes to get the ball first to start the game, which has its benefits. One major drawback is that if you let the other team score right before halftime you give the opponent back-to-back possessions. Having a defense that either knows how to play prevent correctly or that stays with their bread and butter will benefit us in that aspect as well. You used to be able to set your watch to Teddy's defense giving up a score (during both his stints as a DC) so hopefully that gives the O a little boost mentally as well.
That's not true. When Tech wins the toss, Johnson always defers to the second half.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Miami scored 6 of 12 drives and only 2 TDs.
Clemson scored of 4 of 12 drives.
VT scored on 3 of 10 drives
Tenn scored on 4 of 10 drives in regulation

Pretty sure that same thoughts will be there because the alternative is to put the blame on the offense itself.

If 2 or 3 their scoring came in the 2nd half or 4th qtr when are up 14 then yes that’s an issue

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Go back and try to watch the Duke game this past year. The offense was running up the middle against Duke the whole first half. Benson was averaging 4 yards a touch without breaking a big one. We go up 20-13 with just under 2 minutes left and let Duke drive in for a touchdown, and the next time the offense touches the ball it's 27-20. They have a 3 and out and it's 30-20. 17 points with only one possession is just killer. After that it seemed like the offense pressed the rest of the way and was never able to recover.

In relation to CPJ and the offense. I think that one issue Tech has is that it believes too much in CPJ and the system. The defense thinks that the offense will keep the ball forever and guys on offense think that the play calling will win the game. Now CPJ knows what he is doing but I think our players at times forget that plays don't work and stopping the other team does not happen if you don't do your assignment such as block, get off blocks and make tackles. Systems cannot replace fundamentals.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If 2 or 3 their scoring came in the 2nd half or 4th qtr when are up 14 then yes that’s an issue

If we only give up 28 points in the entire regulation and the other team is up two scores in the 4th and we still give up 2 more scores that means our offense is the issue.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In relation to CPJ and the offense. I think that one issue Tech has is that it believes too much in CPJ and the system. The defense thinks that the offense will keep the ball forever and guys on offense think that the play calling will win the game. Now CPJ knows what he is doing but I think our players at times forget that plays don't work and stopping the other team does not happen if you don't do your assignment such as block, get off blocks and make tackles. Systems cannot replace fundamentals.

Same was true when Joe Hamilton was under center.