Impact of CNW on the offense

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well we keep getting snippets of players talking about the aggressive approach on D, and of course we know the defense differs from Ted's in ways far beyond personnel. The teams which seem to do the best against us cause penetration and disrupt plays. I'm wondering what practicing against the new defense will do to our offense. My hope is that we will be better at executing blocks and more composed against pressure at the LOS.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Well we keep getting snippets of players talking about the aggressive approach on D, and of course we know the defense differs from Ted's in ways far beyond personnel. The teams which seem to do the best against us cause penetration and disrupt plays. I'm wondering what practicing against the new defense will do to our offense. My hope is that we will be better at executing blocks and more composed against pressure at the LOS.
Hopefully it will rub off positively on the offense;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We must reestablish the inside running game. It’s the foundation of the offense, everything else builds off of that. To do this, our offense must control the line of scrimmage and the quarterback must be able to consistently read the give key accurately.

Without those two things, our offense ain’t going nowhere. And it doesn’t matter what defense we face.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We must reestablish the inside running game. To do that, our offense must control the line of scrimmage. Also, the quarterback must be able to consistently read the give key accurately.

Without those two things, our offense ain’t going nowhere. And it doesn’t matter what defense we face.
GT must be able to pass at least somewhat better in 2018 than in 2017;)

We must reestablish the inside running game. To do that, our offense must control the line of scrimmage. Also, the quarterback must be able to consistently read the give key accurately.

I thought we had a pretty good inside running game last year, between TM and KB. What we didn't have was an outside running game because TM wouldn't or couldn't pitch the ball. Part of that, of course, is that we had poor blocking on the outside. Under Justin, we seemed to have both good inside and good outside running games. So is it a question of the QB or the A-backs and receivers?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GT must be able to pass at least somewhat better in 2018 than in 2017;)
I agree, I’d like to see us run the smoke route this year. But we need a receiver who’s big, agile and fast. Not sure we have that. That play, should be as good as a five-yard dive, just as automatic. And sometimes it should go to the house. The biggest thing it does is makes the safeties play honest. If they’re allowed to run to the alley at the snap we have no wide pitch game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought we had a pretty good inside running game last year, between TM and KB. What we didn't have was an outside running game because TM wouldn't or couldn't pitch the ball. Part of that, of course, is that we had poor blocking on the outside. Under Justin, we seemed to have both good inside and good outside running games. So is it a question of the QB or the A-backs and receivers?
Against the better teams we didn’t have a good inside game. At least we couldn’t punish them for vacating the middle of the field with their middle linebacker. Against UGA, we had nowhere to pitch it because there were three guys unblocked at the pitch key spot.

Against the better teams we didn’t have a good inside game. At least we couldn’t punish them for vacating the middle of the field with their middle linebacker. Against UGA, we had nowhere to pitch it because there were three guys unblocked at the pitch key spot.
And we didn't have a good inside game against those good teams BECAUSE we didn't have decent outside game to balance it. And the fact that the mutts were able to have three unblocked men at the key pitch spot verifies my claim that the perimeter blocking simply was not there last year. If it's not there this year, or Johnson doesn't figure out a way to compensate if it's not (and I believe he CAN), then expect another disappointing season this year, no matter how many times or how well the QB passes.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

I have thought the same thing. Historically it has seemed that the teams that can occasionally disrupt and get a tackle for loss against us are the most effective at stopping our drives. When our offense can get a few positive yards each play, we wear them down. I am sure that the coaches have had the scout team etc provide practice against those types of defenses but maybe having our own defense consistently using that approach will help our oline to recognize and react a little more quickly. Since often the game turns on just a few yards/plays that can make a difference.

Regarding the outside game, it seems that we are better at in when we have very experienced a-backs doing the blocking as with the Orange Bowl team and this team will more closely mirror that level of experience than the last two, which hopefully is a good sign.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And we didn't have a good inside game against those good teams BECAUSE we didn't have decent outside game to balance it. And the fact that the mutts were able to have three unblocked men at the key pitch spot verifies my claim that the perimeter blocking simply was not there last year. If it's not there this year, or Johnson doesn't figure out a way to compensate if it's not (and I believe he CAN), then expect another disappointing season this year, no matter how many times or how well the QB passes.
In my opinion, you have run up the middle to set up the edge, especially when the middle linebacker and safety is running to the alley at the snap. Don’t forget, somebody on the Oline is supposed to get the middle linebacker. It wasn’t just poor edge blocking.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year, Miami had it's best team in almost twenty years. Clemson was playing at their highest level in 30+ years, as was uga. We had Clemson on the road and uga in Atlanta, and we don't play well against that combination historically for some reason. We let three winnable games slip thru our fingers. We had double digit second half leads in most of our losses. That to me says we had a depth problem. Combine that with a prevent defense, and you get a death problem. We didn't lose but a couple of players on offense, and we get one back that would have been a starter. Maybe that shores up the depth on offense. We lost a good bit of experience on the defense especially in the secondary. We have a new DC. The defense may limit us again this year. I wish we weren't playing Clemson so early as our defense may get exposed and demoralized in that game. The good news is that other than Clemson, I don't see a lot of high octane offense against us in the first half of the season. The last five games are the make or break part for us. Let's hope the defense is settling down by then and the offense is healthy.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I have thought the same thing. Historically it has seemed that the teams that can occasionally disrupt and get a tackle for loss against us are the most effective at stopping our drives. When our offense can get a few positive yards each play, we wear them down. I am sure that the coaches have had the scout team etc provide practice against those types of defenses but maybe having our own defense consistently using that approach will help our oline to recognize and react a little more quickly. Since often the game turns on just a few yards/plays that can make a difference.

Regarding the outside game, it seems that we are better at in when we have very experienced a-backs doing the blocking as with the Orange Bowl team and this team will more closely mirror that level of experience than the last two, which hopefully is a good sign.

Overall our experience on the offensive side is staggering. We can always get hit by the injury bug, but we really can hope for a special year. The counter to that is saying that our returning talent may have shown flashes but has no established stud. The AB have shown the most over time, but getting them the touches is hard. But I like your point that the experience in AB is most important for blocking.

Otherwise, Roof wanted his DL mostly to engage and defeat blockers. It's a lot different as an attacking OL if the defender is trying to get around you instead of engaging. In particular, timing of scoop and cut blocks could really improve with practice.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
It would only be the fourth year in a row, if that happens.

It is weird that Clemson has not scored a second half TD on us the last two years especially last year when we lost big leads in the second half routinely. That ridiculous play in 2016 when we had an interception late in the first half turn into a safety still pisses me off.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Impact on offense will be:
Extra 2 drives as
A. They score quickly.
Or
B Defenses gets ball back quickly.

In first 5 games i hope we are really aggressive so offense gets lots of touches
and defense gets better at mixing up calls.

If its lots of Bz in last half season, it could be great.
2018 It's Time!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Overall our experience on the offensive side is staggering. We can always get hit by the injury bug, but we really can hope for a special year. The counter to that is saying that our returning talent may have shown flashes but has no established stud. The AB have shown the most over time, but getting them the touches is hard. But I like your point that the experience in AB is most important for blocking.

Otherwise, Roof wanted his DL mostly to engage and defeat blockers. It's a lot different as an attacking OL if the defender is trying to get around you instead of engaging. In particular, timing of scoop and cut blocks could really improve with practice.

The aback blocking (and Shaq's) on the O Bowl team was the most impressive thing about that offense. I could have run (or waddled) through some of those holes. Excellent open field blocking against the athletes our guys go up against is a difficult technique to master.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest impact the new D will have on our O will be psychological. Let's be honest, most of us thought the O could not miss a turn when we were playing a good team. I even believe it affected how CPJ called plays.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest impact the new D will have on our O will be psychological. Let's be honest, most of us thought the O could not miss a turn when we were playing a good team. I even believe it affected how CPJ called plays.

Miami scored 6 of 12 drives and only 2 TDs.
Clemson scored of 4 of 12 drives.
VT scored on 3 of 10 drives
Tenn scored on 4 of 10 drives in regulation

Pretty sure that same thoughts will be there because the alternative is to put the blame on the offense itself.