Illegal block penalties vs Vandy

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well then the official has them backwards because he placed his closed fists on each side of his waist to and clearly his lips read chop block on the second one.

This is pretty interesting. Never would have known this without the back and forth.
I edited the post you quoted after I found the gif. The chop signal is at the refs hips, not chins, like I originally stated.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The first call was signaled by the ref as an illegal block below the waist. The TV announcers got that wrong. The second call was signaled as a chop block.
Yep, I just went back and looked at it. The ref did this on the first penalty:

40%20Illegal%20Block%20Below%20Waist.jpg

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
2nd legit, but I have to question the first and especially the holding call on Stewart.

The hold on Stewart was complete BS, but at least it didn't really hurt us as it was after the 1st down and I'm pretty sure we got a TD anyway. We may have gotten away with a couple PIs though...at least on one of them Corey Griffin got there early and started raking the receiver's arms before the ball arrived.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The holding on Stewart was legit. It wasn't the first guy he had tied up, that was a good block, it was the 3rd guy he had contact with. Right at the very end of the play. Stewart hooked an arm and it only became apparent from the camera angle in slow motion when the defender tried to release and couldn't. The replay never really showed the whole play to the point where he actually held. Even then, it was still a rulebook call rather than what usually gets called.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO the first chop penalty was questionable (untrained crew?)

the second was legit on Mills (I believe that was the second)

and the holding on stewart was an awful call...every play has that and in slow mo was the only way you could even consider it....IMO it was BS.

actually there were a few calls I felt were SEC SEC SEC officials

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think a big part of the bumping into the OLine (when the BB is taking off a called dive) is due to the guard not getting enough push off the line and losing some ground.

@Boomer you agree?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a big part of the bumping into the OLine (when the BB is taking off a called dive) is due to the guard not getting enough push off the line and losing some ground.

@Boomer you agree?
I am not sure what you are asking me. Who bumping into the OL? What do you mean "BB taking off a called dive"?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
yeah, sorry Boomer - I was asking about Mills sorta tripping over Shamire. Looked to me like Mills was expecting Shamire to be further forward but that Shamire wasn't getting the push he needed to move the defender back and create space.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
yeah, sorry Boomer - I was asking about Mills sorta tripping over Shamire. Looked to me like Mills was expecting Shamire to be further forward but that Shamire wasn't getting the push he needed to move the defender back and create space.
Oh, OK. I don't think I have ever seen Shamire pushed back. In fact, I never have. I have seen him beat low. I have seen him scoop and miss. I have seen him pull and whiff. But I have never seen him get pushed back. I think what was happening was JT and DM wrestling for the ball when a pull read was obvious.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Oh, OK. I don't think I have ever seen Shamire pushed back. In fact, I never have. I have seen him beat low. I have seen him scoop and miss. I have seen him pull and whiff. But I have never seen him get pushed back. I think what was happening was JT and DM wrestling for the ball when a pull read was obvious.

No, he's talking about a belly or a b-gap dive of some kind. The entire OL is about a yard ahead of SD who's holding his ground. It happens twice iirc in the video by @Longestday.