If you knew then what we know now

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
We all made some pretty lofty predictions in the preseason based on the starting lineup that we all saw in game 1 this year. Today, our starting lineup looks considerably different thanks to an insane number of injuries. What would your honest record prediction at the beginning of the season had been if you knew we'd be playing with the 1 and 2-deep we are running onto the field now??

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I'd say around 7-5. We've lost four one possession games. In general I think that tends to even out over time.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I still believe that if the returning OL had been able to play even close to the standard they helped set last year, they would have mitigated the injuries to the skill position players.

The defense hasn't been hit hard with injuries up until now with Gotsis, that is not the issue there. Lack of depth on D, definitely, but not injuries. The OL has been healthy as well. Really it's the AB and BB, but we knew about the latter before our season predictions.

If you told me before the season that 9 games in JT didn't miss any games, our starting OL would have missed a combined two games, and our D didn't get hit with many injuries, I never would have thought we'd have lost to every team in the Coastal.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Duke and UNC are both better than I had thought they'd be. Pitt is not quite as good as I had thought theyd be but are close. VT and Miami aren't quite as good as I thought they would be. Good thing Im not a betting man.

I'd have probably guessed 7-5. I honestly won't now be surprised if we finish with only 3 or 4 wins. I'd have never guessed that preseason...not close. I won't be shocked if we win out, we are capable. But our inability to stay out of our own way makes me think we might find a way to lose one or two more.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I made what I thought was an optimistic 8-4 or 9-3 scenario on here pre-season. This was with no idea about the slew of injuries; I was assuming a relatively healthy team. And, that was if everything went our way that possibly could. I got fussed at by some of you guys.

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
On 8/22 I picked GT to win 8 with 4 tossups. I figured we would struggle early with the new backs but that the OL would carry us on offense and he D would help us win.
The performance of the OL is a mystery to me.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Duke and UNC are both better than I had thought they'd be. Pitt is not quite as good as I had thought theyd be but are close. VT and Miami aren't quite as good as I thought they would be. Good thing Im not a betting man.

I'd have probably guessed 7-5. I honestly won't now be surprised if we finish with only 3 or 4 wins. I'd have never guessed that preseason...not close. I won't be shocked if we win out, we are capable. But our inability to stay out of our own way makes me think we might find a way to lose one or two more.
Pitt, UNC, And Clemson are much better than I and most experts thought. I figured we would lose several due to the schedule. Unless our OL and DL improves next year, we will be avg at best.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I still believe that if the returning OL had been able to play even close to the standard they helped set last year, they would have mitigated the injuries to the skill position players.

The defense hasn't been hit hard with injuries up until now with Gotsis, that is not the issue there. Lack of depth on D, definitely, but not injuries. The OL has been healthy as well. Really it's the AB and BB, but we knew about the latter before our season predictions.

If you told me before the season that 9 games in JT didn't miss any games, our starting OL would have missed a combined two games, and our D didn't get hit with many injuries, I never would have thought we'd have lost to every team in the Coastal.

EXACTLY

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On 8/22 I picked GT to win 8 with 4 tossups. I figured we would struggle early with the new backs but that the OL would carry us on offense and he D would help us win.
The performance of the OL is a mystery to me.
In that thread, I think I clar u fied that defense would have to take the lead and WIN some early games.
Defense take aways seem down.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I said last spring was 8-4. That was mainly because we had lost so many experienced backs and that the universe had given all the good luck we could ever ask for in 2014. (The Pitt game was ridiculous!)

Then the flood started with both Leggett and Quaid getting injured at the end of spring and then things got worse. And worse. If I had thought we'd have the starting lineup we have today in the spring, I'd have said 6 - 6, if the D really played well. And, sure enough, just when things were coming around and we had the best D performance of the year, our best player over there gets a season ending injury. Now, I don't know what'll happen. I'd guess 5 - 7 now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If I knew then what i know now... I'd say we'd end up somewhere between 3 - 6 wins during the regular season.

My ability to prognosticate GT football is why I don't bet. Too much heart...

Right now ending up 6 - 7 after a bowl would be pretty good. (especially after the latest round of the injury bus)