If you are asking WHY

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Of course not....

Poor recruiting was on the AD.

Poor defense was on the DC(s).

When the offense struggled, it was the execution.

Somehow, Johnson was never at fault for any of our issues. It was always someone else.

Wow did you read a lot that wasn’t said or meant. You projected a lot of stuff onto my post that wasn’t even addressed like offensive and defensive play. I’ll happily have a discussion about those sometime. But this was about recruiting.

Recruiting - no, CPJ didn’t recruit very well. Fact. Also fact that he didn’t get any kind of resources like his peers, but go ahead and continue to ignore that since it makes you happy. He wasn’t a great salesman but I still think we would have done better recruiting (reading comprehension tip: better is a relative term, not an absolute, so if I say “better” it could mean a small change)

Here’s another unsolicited tip for you. If someone says “XYZ was a problem” it doesn’t mean that that is an exhaustive list of every problem and that nothing else was an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No amount of spending was going to bring certain types of OL / DL to the program. Not sure why this is debatable when plenty of kids and HS coaches have confirmed it numerous times but most quality-talent HS football players simply did not want to play in the PJ Scheme. No amount of $$$ was going to change that.

Money would have made it easier to find more guys like Parker Braun around the country.(At least similar in desires and work ethic) With basically only the coaches reviewing film, talking to HS coaches, etc. it is extremely likely that many guys who had very good athletic ability and fit in with CPJ very well were not able to be found by GT precisely because of lack of money.

I still don't understand why we needed much more than gas $$$ to recruit better in metro ATL and yet failed to do so for over a decade, again according to almost every metro HS football coach.

Not trying to entirely excuse this, but support staff do go a lot farther than you are allowing. I doubt that the mutt coaches spend 40 hours on the phone to arrange meetings at high schools, even in Georgia. They can get a schedule the day before they start making trips and just follow that schedule to pre-arranged meetings. On top of that, they have other staff that are charting players probably down to 8th grade or earlier. When a mutt coach goes to a high school where there is an outstanding 8th grade player in the middle-school feed system, I am sure that they have notes(provided by support staff) that let him know to ask the coaches about that kid. Those coaches are sure to let that kid know that the mutt coaches asked about him. He might not turn out to be a 5 star player. He might not end up being recruited by the mutts. However, because of support staff that kid is probably impressed at an early age with the mutts. All of those things take extra support staff. To have more support staff takes money. To this day, GT still has half of the recruiting support staff as Duke. Whether you want to see it or not, it has been a problem and is still a problem.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wow did you read a lot that wasn’t said or meant. You projected a lot of stuff onto my post that wasn’t even addressed like offensive and defensive play. I’ll happily have a discussion about those sometime. But this was about recruiting.

Because you did the same thing that is always done when people criticize Johnson. You acknowledge that there was a problem (usually one that would be attributed to the head coach), then state that the problem was related to something other than Johnson, then conclude that means it doesn't say anything about Johnson.

Here's a tip for you. A bad recruiter can have poor support. That doesn't make him not a bad recruiter.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Which pisses me off when posters with a narrative to drive say CPJ did not care about and or was a poor recruiter

We know, you’ve made it a point to insert your anger at what’s actually a very small group of fans into literally every topic that’s come up for the past 9 months. We get it. Let. It. Go.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
We know, you’ve made it a point to insert your anger at what’s actually a very small group of fans into literally every topic that’s come up for the past 9 months. We get it. Let. It. Go.

There it is ...
The new narrative has now appeared. Anyone who is vocally discontented with how our team is performing is part of "a very small group of fans" who simply dislike CGC...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There it is ...
The new narrative has now appeared. Anyone who is vocally discontented with how our team is performing is part of "a very small group of fans" who simply dislike CGC...
Way to miss the point entirely. The "very small group" I referenced was the very vocally anti Paul Johnson crew who never hesitate to crap all over the past decade of GT football to try and prove their point. Animal (your alternate account?) is constantly bringing his beef with a few posters into every conversation. He isn't just "vocally discontended with how our team is performing", it's constant sniping about everything in a passive aggressive way. The fact that you try to twist my post into a pro/anti CGC narrative exposes that you're stuck in that mindset.

Jmonty71

Banned
I guess the question is... Who controls the spend at GT?? It's a Board of Directors, I assume? Like any other business.. What it comes down to is this? Does their BoD believe that having a competing athletic program matter? If not, then expect to lose fans by attrition. Also expect continued low attending games. But, then again... The BoD may not care and put 100% faith in the curriculum. I'm not a GT grad, so I am the exception to many of you and my opinion may not matter. But, it would seem that the BoD needs to loosen the purse strings a bit.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It is?

Do you find the spending unacceptable for aesthetic reasons?

Because otherwise if you believe spending more wouldn't matter it follows that spending less is acceptable.

Fair enough. Ultimately I believe you support the coach with everything you have and if you don't deem him worthy of the support then you get rid of him. Bobinski wasn't in a position to get rid of him after 14 so I believe he should have supported him. But as I stated earlier ultimately I don't believe it would have made a difference for Johnson in regards to recruiting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
upload_2018-8-11_8-50-14-png.3915

Where is the proof that he was a bad recruiter? If you keep saying something, it doesn't make it true. Could he have been better at recruiting, sure. But it looks to me like he maintained the status quo, or is Gailey also a bad recruiter?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I guess the question is... Who controls the spend at GT?? It's a Board of Directors, I assume? Like any other business.. What it comes down to is this? Does their BoD believe that having a competing athletic program matter? If not, then expect to lose fans by attrition. Also expect continued low attending games. But, then again... The BoD may not care and put 100% faith in the curriculum. I'm not a GT grad, so I am the exception to many of you and my opinion may not matter. But, it would seem that the BoD needs to loosen the purse strings a bit.

By regulation the GT Athletic Association is a separate legal entity than Georgia Tech. The school by regulation can only provide 10% of the budget of the athletic department, which it does.(Not exactly 10%, but very close to it) The other 90% has to come from the athletic department itself. Tickets, concessions, merchandise, media money(from the ACC), etc. and donations. The GT Athletic Association spends most of the revenue that it receives. Some years, they will save a little, but last year they spent a large chunk of their rainy day funds. In other words, the school is legally prevented from providing any more than it already is. If GT fans want GT athletics to spend more money, then GT fans have to buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more.

slugboy

Staff member
This graph would be so much more beautiful if it was color coordinated to team colors and not just randomly assigned. I was surprised to see baby blue NC at the bottom until I realized that was a Demon Deacon in Tarheel colors.

Not my chart, but it’s a pain to get Excel to use the colors you want.
I’ve tried to assign a good Gold to GT in Excel many times, and I usually get sick of trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This graph would be so much more beautiful if it was color coordinated to team colors and not just randomly assigned. I was surprised to see baby blue NC at the bottom until I realized that was a Demon Deacon in Tarheel colors.

Not my chart, but it’s a pain to get Excel to use the colors you want.
I’ve tried to assign a good Gold to GT in Excel many times, and I usually get sick of trying.

@slugboy nailed it. That's why Tech data points are a little logo to stand out. It's a tedious pain to get excel to use custom colors on a graph. I don't have nearly that much free time.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
In the Philanthropy Quarterly from Tech it spells out the athletic goal of raising $125M over the next couple of years. Looks like the effort is ahead of schedule with around $90 already. This is the "Initiative 2020".

Nothing slated for recruiting though.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
This post says a million words

Anyone care to post ACC spending ranking by year since 2008?

I think the spending is going on in the right direction... but is it enough to compete?
I get it. But at the same time how many staff members does it take to convince 20 to 25 young men to like what your program offers? I personally feel this is good but yet overrated.