If you are asking WHY

Scubapro

Banned
Thats a specific reach for a donation and you are not correct for gts general fund. Many schools who have a general donation fund, like roll call, explicitly say the money is used for academic scholarships, academic support, and athletic support. Gts does not. That is why its called “unrestricted” donation which is what roll call is. Its up to the discretion of the organization how its spent. We decided to split the two efforts up and not share even phone call lists. Do u know when i was on the AA board many of our donors who donated to roll call thought it helped athletics too. They didn’t realize it does not.

Bottom line is the school can do more to help and chooses not to. And it goes so far to as even block the AA from soliciting from the same donors. I know. Because i lived it.

Our roll call funding is huge.

You are talking about grants. Not the same. Nor is a specific fund raising directive which would then be restricted.

If this is the case ( I have no reason to doubt you ) Then this needs to change. The AA should be allowed to contact all donors. The roll call funds should be shared with the AA. Athletics are nothing more than a marketing and advertising channel for the school's fundraising. Given this, roll call should distribute funds to the AA. Is there anyway to achieve this?

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a different take on this recruiting stuff, especially as it relates to the old regime.

Recruiting - Current
  1. When you run the same system that everyone else runs, you have to have equal players to be as good, or better players to be better. Not that complicated.
  2. How many players equal to the players in the area can Georgia Tech? That would be against Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, Miami, South Florida, North Carolina, NC State, etc. Those are the main competition in the region for top recruits.
  3. How many elite players in the area can Georgia Tech get? That would be against Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, Miami, South Florida, North Carolina, NC State, etc. Those are the main competition in the region for top recruits.
Recruiting - Option Regime
  1. When you run a system that is designed to make up for size and talent disparities... you don't have to have equal players to be as good. You don't have to have better players to be better than the competition. You just have to run the scheme efficiently and it is proven to work. That is why Army, without a single player who could play for Oklahoma or Michigan, took those schools to overtime in the past year.
  2. How many great athletes are out there that Georgia Tech can get that Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, etc want to convert to safety or wide receiver, but want to play quarterback?
  3. How many power backs are out there that want to play BB?
  4. How many great athletes are out there that don't fit in traditional offenses, but would make excellent AB's?
  5. How many under recruited wide receivers are out there that make excellent blockers or deep ball threats?
History tells me that is easier to recruit to the Option Regime than the Current Regime... There is always a Justin Thomas, a Tobias Oliver, a Josh Nesbitt, a Tevin Washington, etc who wants to play quarterback....

Paul Johnson was head coach at Georgia Tech for 11 years... 9 of those 11 years were Josh Nesbitt, Tevin Washington, and Justin Thomas... Who all did pretty extraordinary things. Nesbitt broke NCAA records... Tevin Washington is 1st or 2nd in 11 different stat categories at Georgia, set a school and ACC record with 20 rushing touchdowns and career rushing touchdowns with 38... Justin Thomas won a BCS Bowl and was MVP of the Orange Bowl, and is considered one of the better QB's to ever play at Georgia Tech..

Next up, and I truly believe this, was Tobias Oliver... TaQuon Marshall was a great athlete, but I wouldn't consider him a great option quarterback. But Oliver was going to be the next big thing at Georgia Tech. I think he was going to be a 1,000 yard rusher for the next 3 years.

Look at BB.... In the 11 years Paul Johnson was coach... you had Zach Laskey, Synjyn Days, Kirvonte Benson, Jordan Mason, Roddy Jones, etc. These guys aren't terribly difficult to find. That's why Georgia Tech always had them.

Just my two cents on recruiting... Will be interesting to see how the current staff does against the regional powers in recruiting "traditional" players. Can they get players that are just as good? Can they get players that are better?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If this is the case ( I have no reason to doubt you ) Then this needs to change. The AA should be allowed to contact all donors. The roll call funds should be shared with the AA. Athletics are nothing more than a marketing and advertising channel for the school's fundraising. Given this, roll call should distribute funds to the AA. Is there anyway to achieve this?

Not with the way its set up today. And i know the roll call board members and pres. there is no way in hell in a million years would they share. Its going to take ladys man cabrerra and serious gumption and hair on fire reaction to change this. Good luck. Tech has already entrenched itself to f—k itself.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Because you did the same thing that is always done when people criticize Johnson. You acknowledge that there was a problem (usually one that would be attributed to the head coach), then state that the problem was related to something other than Johnson, then conclude that means it doesn't say anything about Johnson.

Here's a tip for you. A bad recruiter can have poor support. That doesn't make him not a bad recruiter.

Here's a tip back for you. I never said he was a good recruiter. You projected that and many other things into my post that you brought with you to the conversation. I said he would have been better than he was with more support. Better is a relative term.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Do u know when i was on the AA board many of our donors who donated to roll call thought it helped athletics too. They didn’t realize it does not.

This was me until a couple years ago when I learned about that on this board. Pissed me off immensely, I'd been giving to Roll Call (The donations Tech was soliciting me for.) thinking all along I was supporting athletics too. Wasn't giving any money to athletics separately except through tickets. No where on Roll Call's website does it say that it doesn't support athletics. Very vague language about supporting the Institute.

Since then I've only given to athletics. Frankly with the bad taste in my mouth from feeling like Roll Call mislead me, I may never give to that side again. Rather have the AT points anyway.

This is a huge problem for GT athletics, IMHO. Tech has plenty of money coming in, it's just not going to support athletics - most every other P5 program supports athletics out of their overall fundraising. TStan needs to find a way to get this message out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This was me until a couple years ago when I learned about that on this board. Pissed me off immensely, I'd been giving to Roll Call (The donations Tech was soliciting me for.) thinking all along I was supporting athletics too. Wasn't giving any money to athletics separately except through tickets. No where on Roll Call's website does it say that it doesn't support athletics. Very vague language about supporting the Institute.

Since then I've only given to athletics. Frankly with the bad taste in my mouth from feeling like Roll Call mislead me, I may never give to that side again. Rather have the AT points anyway.

This is a huge problem for GT athletics, IMHO. Tech has plenty of money coming in, it's just not going to support athletics - most every other P5 program supports athletics out of their overall fundraising. TStan needs to find a way to get this message out.

Georgia Tech should create an Office of Development that covers academics, alumni associations, and athletics. Create programs and metrics for each. Integrate databases and improve effectiveness and efficiency.

But it’s too political. No admin in 45 years has touched this.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That is not accurate. Previously, one was required to make a donation to the AT-Fund to earn points which in turn, could be used for better seats. Today, you still have to make a donation to the AT-Fund when purchasing tickets. It's just done differently, but the funds go to two different groups .. one for Operations and one for Grants.

Those are two separate issues. You still need priority points to get to better seating areas, get tickets/better tickets to away games -- post season, etc. If football club seats become available, the person on the waiting list with the highest priority points will get offered the seats. You then are required to make a contribution to the "Tech Fund" when purchasing tickets. That was indeed set up so that the ticket prices could be raised, but the person purchasing the ticket could deduct some of the cost from their taxes. Club seats cost $325. Section 101 seats cost $325. Tech Terrace seats cost $325. Club seats are in the middle of the field. Section 101 is in the corner of the end zone. Club seats include chair backs, an air conditioned area, and two drinks. Section 101 includes none of that. Tech Terrace includes a buffet and drinks. Are all of those tickets actually equal in value? The "Tech Fund" contribution was precisely to have multiple price levels but provide a tax break.

The law changed last year. Some people pre-paid their "Tech Fund" contribution in late 2017 in order to be able to deduct them. General "AT Fund" contributions award 2 priority points per $100, while "Tech Fund" contributions award 1 point per $100.

"Tech Fund" contributions are described as:
Gifts to the TECH Fund are gifts that are made as part of a per-seat donation program for preferred football and basketball seating.
These contributions are basically revenue that the athletic association can use in any way the want to. AT-Fund contributions can be unrestricted general contributions, or can be made specifically to just about any particular thing you want.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/t-fund-faq

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Georgia Tech should create an Office of Development that covers academics, alumni associations, and athletics. Create programs and metrics for each. Integrate databases and improve effectiveness and efficiency.

But it’s too political. No admin in 45 years has touched this.

The folks in the A-T Fund report up in to the Georgia Tech Foundation's Office of Development. Also, the A-T Fund has employees dedicated to development.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/t-fund-staff

The staff focused on building the grassroots efforts are relatively new and brought in under Stansbury because LazyAD couldn't be bothered and Sasquatch was just a putz that didn't want to talk to people. The recent 404 Day and the GT Football Recruiting initiatives are recent grassroots examples.

The GT Alumni Association is more of a marketing organization than anything else. Roll Call is not really an interesting funnel for money, except to keep consecutive giving A-T points.

My advice. Give the bare minimum to Roll Call going forward and send your money to A-T Fund.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Those are two separate issues. You still need priority points to get to better seating areas, get tickets/better tickets to away games -- post season, etc. If football club seats become available, the person on the waiting list with the highest priority points will get offered the seats. You then are required to make a contribution to the "Tech Fund" when purchasing tickets. That was indeed set up so that the ticket prices could be raised, but the person purchasing the ticket could deduct some of the cost from their taxes. Club seats cost $325. Section 101 seats cost $325. Tech Terrace seats cost $325. Club seats are in the middle of the field. Section 101 is in the corner of the end zone. Club seats include chair backs, an air conditioned area, and two drinks. Section 101 includes none of that. Tech Terrace includes a buffet and drinks. Are all of those tickets actually equal in value? The "Tech Fund" contribution was precisely to have multiple price levels but provide a tax break.

The law changed last year. Some people pre-paid their "Tech Fund" contribution in late 2017 in order to be able to deduct them. General "AT Fund" contributions award 2 priority points per $100, while "Tech Fund" contributions award 1 point per $100.

"Tech Fund" contributions are described as:
These contributions are basically revenue that the athletic association can use in any way the want to. AT-Fund contributions can be unrestricted general contributions, or can be made specifically to just about any particular thing you want.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/t-fund-faq

I stand corrected. Thx.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The folks in the A-T Fund report up in to the Georgia Tech Foundation's Office of Development. Also, the A-T Fund has employees dedicated to development.

The staff focused on building the grassroots efforts are relatively new and brought in under Stansbury because LazyAD couldn't be bothered and Sasquatch was just a putz that didn't want to talk to people. The recent 404 Day and the GT Football Recruiting initiatives are recent grassroots examples.

The GT Alumni Association is more of a marketing organization than anything else. Roll Call is not really an interesting funnel for money, except to keep consecutive giving A-T points.

My advice. Give the bare minimum to Roll Call going forward and send your money to A-T Fund.

Good advice but, it’s not working. There just isn’t a systematic way to raise money for athletics. IMO.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here's a tip back for you. I never said he was a good recruiter. You projected that and many other things into my post that you brought with you to the conversation. I said he would have been better than he was with more support. Better is a relative term.

Sorry. I assumed you weren't just spitting out a tautology that didn't add anything to the conversation.

Scubapro

Banned
Not with the way its set up today. And i know the roll call board members and pres. there is no way in hell in a million years would they share. Its going to take ladys man cabrerra and serious gumption and hair on fire reaction to change this. Good luck. Tech has already entrenched itself to f—k itself.
Can you start a thread explaining this situation regarding how AT and Roll Call are different? Maybe we need folks to write to the AD and school to explain how Roll Call maybe misled its donors? IDK...Tech has a huge endowment and I would think they wouldn't mind spending some on advertising.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good advice but, it’s not working. There just isn’t a systematic way to raise money for athletics. IMO.

Because it's still in the process of being built.

Also, to be honest, if anyone on any of the GT msg boards has the means & desire to donate and isn't doing so, that's on them at this point, given how often the subject comes up on the boards.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Can you start a thread explaining this situation regarding how AT and Roll Call are different? Maybe we need folks to write to the AD and school to explain how Roll Call maybe misled its donors? IDK...Tech has a huge endowment and I would think they wouldn't mind spending some on advertising.

The endowment can't be used for athletics.(At least not above the 10% of budget regulation level) I am not a lawyer or policy expert, but the way the regulation reads, it appears that athletics has to pay for everything. If athletics uses school facilities, it either has to pay rent or it counts against the 10%. If water and electricity are paid for by the school then it has to count against the 10%. If school facilities cuts the grass on athletic association property, then their labor counts against the 10%. The basic point is that the endowment can't fund advertisement or anything else for athletics unless it falls within that 10% of budge.

Roll Call is run by the Alumni Association, which isn't actually part of the school. If people want the alumni association to support athletics more, then getting involved in the association and pushing for that would be the best course of action. However, there are several posters on this forum who are or have been involved and say that it is next to impossible if not impossible to get the alumni association interested in sports.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The endowment can't be used for athletics.(At least not above the 10% of budget regulation level) I am not a lawyer or policy expert, but the way the regulation reads, it appears that athletics has to pay for everything. If athletics uses school facilities, it either has to pay rent or it counts against the 10%. If water and electricity are paid for by the school then it has to count against the 10%. If school facilities cuts the grass on athletic association property, then their labor counts against the 10%. The basic point is that the endowment can't fund advertisement or anything else for athletics unless it falls within that 10% of budge.

If any other nerds (like me) are interested, this is the regulation RonJohn is referencing:
https://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/#p4.5.8_funding_of_intercollegiate_athletic_programs

"“Subsidy” is the sum of direct institutional support and student fees and does not include the value of out-of-state tuition waivers. “Subsidy Percentage” is the subsidy divided by athletics operating revenue. ... The subsidy percentage shall not exceed: 10% for NCAA DI-A institutions affiliated with the ... Power 5."​

I'm not clear on if revenues from the endowment would count as "direct institutional support". Since, iiuc, those funds are not operating revenue, but past gifts. The policy specifically mentions tuition funds and student fees... The policy says to refer to the USG Business Procedures Manual, but those terms do not exist there. Likewise, I don't think there's anything prohibiting the (independent entity) Alumni Association from gifting to Athletics out of their fundraising.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is it being built? Other than AI2020, I haven't heard of any new programs to raise the profile of Tech athletics or to systematize development. You may be right … I just haven't heard.

Is there a formal program? I've got no idea.

Has Todd Stansbury taken steps, hired staff, and implemented multiple pilot programs to get the average fan on the street donating? Absolutely.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Is it being built? Other than AI2020, I haven't heard of any new programs to raise the profile of Tech athletics or to systematize development. You may be right … I just haven't heard.

I don't envision another large scale initiative until after AI2020. They can keep doing specialized things like the recruiting initiative and 404 day, but I think another large initiative would probably pull support away from AI2020, and wouldn't get the launch it needs if AI2020 is still ongoing.

I would be happy if they can get a small donor initiative like IPTAY set up. Get people donating to GT athletics and feeling like they are invested in GT athletics. The more people feel like they are part of the program instead of bystanders, the more excited they will become. The more excited they become, the larger the fan base will grow.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If any other nerds (like me) are interested, this is the regulation RonJohn is referencing:
https://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/#p4.5.8_funding_of_intercollegiate_athletic_programs

"“Subsidy” is the sum of direct institutional support and student fees and does not include the value of out-of-state tuition waivers. “Subsidy Percentage” is the subsidy divided by athletics operating revenue. ... The subsidy percentage shall not exceed: 10% for NCAA DI-A institutions affiliated with the ... Power 5."​

I'm not clear on if revenues from the endowment would count as "direct institutional support". Since, iiuc, those funds are not operating revenue, but past gifts. The policy specifically mentions tuition funds and student fees... The policy says to refer to the USG Business Procedures Manual, but those terms do not exist there. Likewise, I don't think there's anything prohibiting the (independent entity) Alumni Association from gifting to Athletics out of their fundraising.

I am not sure if the GT Foundation is considered part of the institute or not. I know it owns a lot of land and leases that land to the BOR. The annual reports show that it holds investment funds for both the athletic association and the alumni association. I made an assumption that the foundation would be considered part of the school. Even if it isn't, the articles of incorporation and mission statement are filled with statements like:
The corporation is organized and shall be operated exclusively for charitable, educational, literary and scientific purposes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Knight Commission on NCAA athletics shows (in billions) GIVES US THE BAD NEWS

GT DONATIONS VERSES ACC COASTAL.jpg

TICKET SALES FOR SHOWS GT IS THE BOTTOM DWELLER.

THE REALLY BAD NEWS IS WE OWE .220 BILLION AND ONLY HAVE MADE INTEREST PAYMENTS

SEC VERSES ACC - IN 2017 SEC IS 1.0 BILLION PER YEAR LARGER THAN ACC (WE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ACC)

IN MAY 2013 SEC AND ESPN STARTED SEC NETWORK.

DONATIONS - SEC WAS AHEAD OF ACC IN 2012 AND W THE SEC NETWORK STARTING THEY PULLED AHEAD EVEN FURTHER.

sec verses acc.jpg