If We Were Told We Would Be 1-1 After UCF and FSU, We All Would Have Taken It

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Refs screwed us no doubt. They’re a decent team. We will be fine I’m sure of that.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Not too many teams on our schedule outside of Clemson and ND are better than UCF. We really need to get healthy. We are missing 5 DL we thought would be in the rotation (Owens, Clayton, Martin, Chimedza, and Ryans). This leaves us very thin and young up front. In addition we are missing our best cb. It is a wonder the UCF game was not worse in my opinion. If we can get some of these guys back I feel good about the rest of the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not too many teams on our schedule outside of Clemson and ND are better than UCF.

This. Said the same thing in the UCF postgame thread. UCF is a good program, and they've been a good team for a while now. This was always going to be a tough game for us. I said in the preseason that the FSU game would be an easier game than UCF.

That said, we had our chances. Too many turnovers, and our lack of depth hurt us. I think that's a pattern that may play out all year, unfortunately. The better the teams we play, the more that will an issue. Not too much we can do about injuries and attrition, but we can clean up the turnovers.

Deleted member 2897

3-4 through five games would have been REALLY bad.

IOf course I’m talking about the first 7. We lost games 6 and 7 and easily could have lost 2 earlier ones where we had to come from behind at the very end.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am not really disappointed with the loss as to how we played in the 4th quarter on offense. Our D got exhausted in the 4th and were arm tackling and we had too many turnovers against a very uptempo team. No pressure and a QB that was very good at managing the game. Only a sophomore and this season doesn't count. Could be around 4 more years. Hope not to ever see that bunch at Grant field again.

GoodBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
After FSU: "Things are never as good as they seem"
After UCF: "Things are never as bad as they seem"

I channel CPJ to keep from getting too high or too low during a season.

But I will say I'm pretty excited about the future when I look at the players and development!! Two weeks in a row of "Rookie" awards?!?! I didn't expect that!!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Miami ran on them pretty easily and did some quick throws to the RB out of the backfield that went for big yards. Both of those play to Sims advantage and I could see us scoring a lot against Louisville.
Louisville may be a 70+ point game depending on our defensive injuries

So 1-1 right now is just fine with this team. Last weeks score was not indicative of the game. Their last 2 touchdowns came with 5 minutes to go after turnovers. Frankly after the first if I am coach I say boys just run the ball and run out the clock and let's regroup.

What we do this weekend is important. We are on the road and that is always tough. On paper we have more talent but we need to make sure we coach this game right. We need the offense to run the ball effectively.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was an UGLY UGLY 5-0 especially at the beginning against some pretty bad teams. My point is we were not good to start off 2014.

It is not how you start, that people remember, unfortunately, it is how you end up. Bear Bryant used to complain about Alabama fans. "We win 9 or 10 games, and all they want to talk about is losing a damn bowl game" he groused in one of his biographies I read.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So 1-1 right now is just fine with this team. Last weeks score was not indicative of the game. Their last 2 touchdowns came with 5 minutes to go after turnovers. Frankly after the first if I am coach I say boys just run the ball and run out the clock and let's regroup.

What we do this weekend is important. We are on the road and that is always tough. On paper we have more talent but we need to make sure we coach this game right. We need the offense to run the ball effectively.

1-1 is fine under the circumstances but all the good will can disappear in a hurry if we lose this week. After watching Syracuse in their first two games, I don't see how we can lose UNLESS we turn the ball over a gazillion times again. That will encourage an underdog more than anything. We are a 7 point favorite at the Carrier Dome and I think we will beat this team by two touchdowns. Tech to win and cover.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Cuse fans have said this in different way in multiple forums. We think it is our strength..... Who is right?
cuse.PNG

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Their last 2 touchdowns came with 5 minutes to go after turnovers. Frankly after the first if I am coach I say boys just run the ball and run out the clock and let's regroup.

Which is something Bobby Ross would have never done. That's how 1987 led to 1990.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Not our strength judged off of UCF totally embarrassing us on the back end. They're not as bad as they showed, but they're not world beaters by any means.
I would say not having Tre and the majority of our Dline was the issue. When you play an uptempo team and get basically zero pressure with 6 guys, you're going to have a long game in the secondary. We have to get some pressure this weekend. Anyone's secondary would of looked bad with our front 6 in the UCF game. We looked good in the FSU game, because we got pressure.

Honestly this is a must win game. We are lightyears better in talent over Cuse. Losing this game may mean we don't win again until October 24th (BC) or November 28th (Duke). Otherwise NC State is our last hope for a win. If we beat Cuse we have a shot at 5 wins. If we lose we will be happy to hit 4.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Cuse fans have said this in different way in multiple forums. We think it is our strength..... Who is right?

Both. We are a good coverage team, overall, and when we were having success against UCF it was often because of that. On the other hand we have struggled getting consistent pressure out of our front 7 even when we bring an extra guy or two. No matter how good the coverage is, with enough time a good QB/WRs will find something.