If this isn't enough to scare recruits from uga

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what is!!!! I knew the uga fanbase was filled with lowly racist scum, but man. They are a bunch of, tobacco spitting, raccoon eating, duct tape for everything using, the south while rise again saying, MORONS.
I'm a southern gentleman, which means I practice southern politeness (yes sir/ma'am, hold door open, and modern southern cooking guy) and treat people as equals. BUT GOOD GOD. Uga fans are not equals. They are a waste! Read the forum I've linked. https://www.secrant.com/rant/uga-sports/yahoo-report-on-uga-frat-bros-racist-video/82682503/

herb

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what is!!!! I knew the uga fanbase was filled with lowly racist scum, but man. They are a bunch of, tobacco spitting, raccoon eating, duct tape for everything using, the south while rise again saying, MORONS.
I'm a southern gentleman, which means I practice southern politeness (yes sir/ma'am, hold door open, and modern southern cooking guy) and treat people as equals. BUT GOOD GOD. Uga fans are not equals. They are a waste! Read the forum I've linked. https://www.secrant.com/rant/uga-sports/yahoo-report-on-uga-frat-bros-racist-video/82682503/

News flash, over 60% of u(sic)ga is from metro Atlanta. Only 12% from rural counties. So the odds are much higher that these a$$es are from the bastion of civility and culture who are better than the rest of us Georgians. And there is nothing wrong with chewing tobacco

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lol, true
But of course you were referring not to health issues but cultural bias and I agree with you.

But stereotypes are fun. They scratch an itch most of us have to look down on someone else. In this case it was a chance to look down on the people who look down.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tried to wade through the thread. It was pretty pitiful. Sometimes I honestly don't know why any person of color would ever want to play at uga. Talk about your plantation mentality.....

As a person of color, it boggles my mind. However, if you saw any of the OJ documentary, it makes perfect sense. One of his friend's said back in his USC days OJ said stte, "I'm not black, I'm OJ!"

These kids and their parents likely see themselves as something other than black. Who cares if Mr. Johnny calls his staff the n-word at the donor bbq. He's talking about them, not me.

That's the mentality that allows black parents to send their son's places like Ole Miss to play wearing the freaking rebel flag and whatnot.

Sad.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
As a person of color, it boggles my mind. However, if you saw any of the OJ documentary, it makes perfect sense. One of his friend's said back in his USC days OJ said stte, "I'm not black, I'm OJ!"

These kids and their parents likely see themselves as something other than black. Who cares if Mr. Johnny calls his staff the n-word at the donor bbq. He's talking about them, not me.

That's the mentality that allows black parents to send their son's places like Ole Miss to play wearing the freaking rebel flag and whatnot.

Sad.

Yeah... that just sad... I wouldn't want to send my kid to a place like that

Deleted member 2897

I am no fan of uGA, but the reality is that a few drunk idiots have probably made similar videos at colleges all over the place.

Rather than focus on a specific incident like that which could happen anywhere, I think kg01's more broad approach is the better argument. For example, how is it possible that one of the most rigorous schools in the country, that is STEM-focused (Georgia Tech) nearly has the same percentage enrollment of African Americans as uGA does? Thats ridiculous for them. uGA football has a long term graduation rate of 50% and has several players arrested every year. To me this shows that the school cares only about football, and not the student-athletes as human beings. Finally, while nobody is perfect, Georgia Tech has a well respected history of being more on the front edge of these issues than other places. Georgia Tech was the first public college to voluntarily desegregate back in the day, and there were rallies with thousands of students advocating for it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have thought some more about this thread and I have to say one more thing. In full disclosure, I am a white guy who once was an adjunct professor at a small college.

Some of the people in the thread defending the language of the frat boys did so under the guise of rejecting political correctness. Others said being expelled from school for posting the video was too harsh. Still others lamented the "snow flakes" who were offended.

Here is how they all got it wrong.

A college committed to pursuit of the truth is a covenant community. If you violate the covenant you are saying you don't want to be there.

The covenant involves many things related to community. Arguments should be about truth, not about who is louder or who has historically been in a power position. College communities should promote diversity, not just to give everyone a fair shot at advancing in society, but because we all benefit from getting data from a variety of sources. All of this requires respect for different groups and it requires a willingness to gain insight and new perspectives. In a global community this is more important than ever if one wants to be an "educated" person.

When I was in graduate school I ran into people who thought they were pretty much through changing. They wanted to learn how to "pass the test, get the grade, and get the better salary" but they were clear they did not want to change any more of their core beliefs about how the world operates. In short, they wanted to hang onto those prejudices they thought they could still get away with. This to me is the height of dishonesty and a violation of the unwritten academic code which says I will pursue truth wherever it takes me.

The frat boys deserved to get kicked out just as much as if they had cheated on a test or plagiarized a research paper. They entered into an academic covenant community under false pretenses and tried to game the system. Their lack of respect for people not like themselves proves they will never be able to enter into honest debate or accept any truth that is different from their own presumptions or prejudices. Any who do not understand why academic institutions cannot tolerate that attitude still cling to the notion that college is about maintaining special white privileges in the midst of a diverse world.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have thought some more about this thread and I have to say one more thing. In full disclosure, I am a white guy who once was an adjunct professor at a small college.

Some of the people in the thread defending the language of the frat boys did so under the guise of rejecting political correctness. Others said being expelled from school for posting the video was too harsh. Still others lamented the "snow flakes" who were offended.

Here is how they all got it wrong.

A college committed to pursuit of the truth is a covenant community. If you violate the covenant you are saying you don't want to be there.

The covenant involves many things related to community. Arguments should be about truth, not about who is louder or who has historically been in a power position. College communities should promote diversity, not just to give everyone a fair shot at advancing in society, but because we all benefit from getting data from a variety of sources. All of this requires respect for different groups and it requires a willingness to gain insight and new perspectives. In a global community this is more important than ever if one wants to be an "educated" person.

When I was in graduate school I ran into people who thought they were pretty much through changing. They wanted to learn how to "pass the test, get the grade, and get the better salary" but they were clear they did not want to change any more of their core beliefs about how the world operates. In short, they wanted to hang onto those prejudices they thought they could still get away with. This to me is the height of dishonesty and a violation of the unwritten academic code which says I will pursue truth wherever it takes me.

The frat boys deserved to get kicked out just as much as if they had cheated on a test or plagiarized a research paper. They entered into an academic covenant community under false pretenses and tried to game the system. Their lack of respect for people not like themselves proves they will never be able to enter into honest debate or accept any truth that is different from their own presumptions or prejudices. Any who do not understand why academic institutions cannot tolerate that attitude still cling to the notion that college is about maintaining special white privileges in the midst of a diverse world.

You need to still be teaching somewhere. Very well explained.

I am no fan of uGA, but the reality is that a few drunk idiots have probably made similar videos at colleges all over the place.

All very good points, especially this. Actually, the reason I was permanently banned from stingtalk was because I wouldn't let them get away with racist comments. They got tired of me calling them out. GT is not immune.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
You need to still be teaching somewhere. Very well explained.

All very good points, especially this. Actually, the reason I was permanently banned from stingtalk was because I wouldn't let them get away with racist comments. They got tired of me calling them out. GT is not immune.

Amen!!!!!!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK...I have a very politically incorrect question.....

Please do NOT assume this is a racist question, as in point of fact, as a student of history, it is not at all meant in a racist way (not even implied racism for those of you who might fancy that concept).....

What do people mean when they say "Diversity if Good?", and the follow-up question..."Is Diversity Good?"

I'll supply a little context. Throughout history, there have been both positives and negatives to "diversity". If one means that term to imply the integration of peoples with different backgrounds, tribal affiliations, racial groups, languages, skills, knowledge, etc into one homogenous group, which becomes enriched by the process of integration and stronger as a result ....then there are plenty of good examples of this. Rome used this technique in its early empire building phase to integrate states and peoples they conquered into the empire and made them Romans, even if they were born in Spain or Africa or wherever. Conceptually (with the glaring exception of slaves) the United States was born on the same principles (at least in theory). I think there is very little doubt that this is a good idea (if sometimes hard to pull off because of the native tribalism of human beings in general).

On the other hand, diversity that encourages a broadening of basic values so that society merely fractures and develops huge internal rifts and disparities is a very bad thing for societies and often has been the primary reason for the collapse of a culture/empire. (Again, see Rome for one of any number of examples.....but the failure of European cultures to integrate muslims into their societies is another example).

In America today, I find it fascinating that we have somehow moved from the first definition towards the second. Minority groups now tend to want to put their own separate culture on a pedestal (which every minority group has done and which is human to do) BUT they also seem to want to tear down "white" culture as being destructive. The first part of that is natural and worthwhile...the second part of that is destructive and divisive. Wanting to tear down racism is completely natural and should be fully supported by every thinking human. But to use terms like "white privilege" is, in fact, a racist term. The counter-argument (of course) is that this is a country where racism has historically been practiced by whites, BUT history shows us this is NOT a practice that has been historically favored by one race or tribe worldwide. Blacks, yellows, whites, and tribes of all kinds have historically practiced slavery, racism, tribalism etc etc

While the term is somewhat offensive, what I am really talking about here is the changing cultural values that I think I perceive in this country. Family breakdown is the single biggest problem I perceive as it seems to lead to a wide variety of social ills. But even beyond that, a simple example that leaves me shaking my head and wondering is the recent shooting of a wanted felon in Memphis and the resulting civil unrest born of it, including the defense of that unrest by many. Here was a person who was wanted for the violent theft of a car and who was charged with shooting the car's owner to steal it. The owner survived, and ID'ed the thief. Warrants were issued. The accused was tracked down and cornered by US Marshals. The suspect then reportedly rammed their (stolen) car into the Marshals car, exited the vehicle and had a weapon. He was shot dead by the marshals. Unrest broke out in the neighborhood within hours. The city councilwoman defended the troublemakers on twitter. I was absolutely flabbergasted by this whole story. To me, it reflected a definite change in values and attitudes from a couple of decades ago.

What am I missing? Am I being deaf?

Deleted member 2897

Please do NOT assume this is a racist question, as in point of fact, as a student of history, it is not at all meant in a racist way (not even implied racism for those of you who might fancy that concept).....

What do people mean when they say "Diversity if Good?", and the follow-up question..."Is Diversity Good?"

I'll supply a little context. Throughout history, there have been both positives and negatives to "diversity". If one means that term to imply the integration of peoples with different backgrounds, tribal affiliations, racial groups, languages, skills, knowledge, etc into one homogenous group, which becomes enriched by the process of integration and stronger as a result ....then there are plenty of good examples of this. Rome used this technique in its early empire building phase to integrate states and peoples they conquered into the empire and made them Romans, even if they were born in Spain or Africa or wherever. Conceptually (with the glaring exception of slaves) the United States was born on the same principles (at least in theory). I think there is very little doubt that this is a good idea (if sometimes hard to pull off because of the native tribalism of human beings in general).

On the other hand, diversity that encourages a broadening of basic values so that society merely fractures and develops huge internal rifts and disparities is a very bad thing for societies and often has been the primary reason for the collapse of a culture/empire. (Again, see Rome for one of any number of examples.....but the failure of European cultures to integrate muslims into their societies is another example).

In America today, I find it fascinating that we have somehow moved from the first definition towards the second. Minority groups now tend to want to put their own separate culture on a pedestal (which every minority group has done and which is human to do) BUT they also seem to want to tear down "white" culture as being destructive. The first part of that is natural and worthwhile...the second part of that is destructive and divisive. Wanting to tear down racism is completely natural and should be fully supported by every thinking human. But to use terms like "white privilege" is, in fact, a racist term. The counter-argument (of course) is that this is a country where racism has historically been practiced by whites, BUT history shows us this is NOT a practice that has been historically favored by one race or tribe worldwide. Blacks, yellows, whites, and tribes of all kinds have historically practiced slavery, racism, tribalism etc etc

While the term is somewhat offensive, what I am really talking about here is the changing cultural values that I think I perceive in this country. Family breakdown is the single biggest problem I perceive as it seems to lead to a wide variety of social ills. But even beyond that, a simple example that leaves me shaking my head and wondering is the recent shooting of a wanted felon in Memphis and the resulting civil unrest born of it, including the defense of that unrest by many. Here was a person who was wanted for the violent theft of a car and who was charged with shooting the car's owner to steal it. The owner survived, and ID'ed the thief. Warrants were issued. The accused was tracked down and cornered by US Marshals. The suspect then reportedly rammed their (stolen) car into the Marshals car, exited the vehicle and had a weapon. He was shot dead by the marshals. Unrest broke out in the neighborhood within hours. The city councilwoman defended the troublemakers on twitter. I was absolutely flabbergasted by this whole story. To me, it reflected a definite change in values and attitudes from a couple of decades ago.

Generally speaking, I think you're pointing out the differences between diversity (good) and multi-culturalism (bad).

In terms of what happened in Memphis (and many other places), many communities have spent most of their life having nothing but negative interactions with police. And you have plenty of stories like the Walter Scott shooting in Charleston where the real story did not equal what the police said. But for someone having to catch it on film, it would have been another one of those 'the guy was a criminal, resisted arrest, and attacked the police who were forced to defend themselves' stories. From my point of view, the actions of the community in Memphis in a vacuum are ridiculous and almost unbelievable. But I bet if you spoke to 1 of the community leaders, they'd have a completely different perspective of what life is like.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You put a lot on the table here. Let's try to deal with one thing at a time. White privilege is not a racist term. It is a cultural descriptor for multiple phenomena related to one particular race having economic and social advantages to the detriment of other races. Whites have long controlled the wealth along with access to the reigns of power whether in government or in the justice system.

White privilege manifests itself when whites assume that their advantages are due to a better work ethic, stronger values or innate intelligence. These assumptions ignore the systematic destruction of other groups, say for instance, Africans whose families were broken up or who were blocked from access to education or ownership of land.

The fact that African-Americans have yet to be paid reparations for the wealth they built for this country, wealth they never got to share in, shows a fundamental ignorance on the part of white people of our very shameful history. White privilege usually responds by trying to distance itself from responsibility for this by using four distancing strategies: 1). That was a long time ago. 2). It wasn't that bad. 3). I didn't have anything to do with that. 4). Black people have done a lot of bad things too.

I would recommend to anyone who is ignorant of our history that they take a trip to Montgomery, Alabama and visit the Equal Justice Center and the Lynching Memorial.

If I were trying to explain to a white person how the legacy of white privilege plays out today I might ask a few questions like the following: How many times have you been stopped for a traffic violation when you did nothing at all? How many times have you been followed by a store manager through a store because they thought you were shop lifting? How many times has someone been seated ahead of you in a restaurant who came in after you? How many times have you been turned down for a loan even though your credit was good? How many times have you been questioned by police for walking through a neighborhood? How many times have you been shot at by a police officer when you we're unarmed and not doing anything unlawful?

The point is, if you are white, these things may or may not have happened to you. But on average these things happen a lot more to black people on a far more regular basis. Recent
bi-partisan efforts at prison reform came about because research showed that prison sentences for blacks were several years longer than for whites even when it was an identical crime.

Much more I could say but I will stop there. Just keep in mind that the more privileged a group is in a society the more likely they are to disbelieve privilege had anything to do with their success and the more likely they are to believe that those who are less fortunate got that way because of some defect of character.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You put a lot on the table here. Let's try to deal with one thing at a time. White privilege is not a racist term. It is a cultural descriptor for multiple phenomena related to one particular race having economic and social advantages to the detriment of other races. Whites have long controlled the wealth along with access to the reigns of power whether in government or in the justice system.

White privilege manifests itself when whites assume that their advantages are due to a better work ethic, stronger values or innate intelligence. These assumptions ignore the systematic destruction of other groups, say for instance, Africans whose families were broken up or who were blocked from access to education or ownership of land.

The fact that African-Americans have yet to be paid reparations for the wealth they built for this country, wealth they never got to share in, shows a fundamental ignorance on the part of white people of our very shameful history. White privilege usually responds by trying to distance itself from responsibility for this by using four distancing strategies: 1). That was a long time ago. 2). It wasn't that bad. 3). I didn't have anything to do with that. 4). Black people have done a lot of bad things too.

I would recommend to anyone who is ignorant of our history that they take a trip to Montgomery, Alabama and visit the Equal Justice Center and the Lynching Memorial.

If I were trying to explain to a white person how the legacy of white privilege plays out today I might ask a few questions like the following: How many times have you been stopped for a traffic violation when you did nothing at all? How many times have you been followed by a store manager through a store because they thought you were shop lifting? How many times has someone been seated ahead of you in a restaurant who came in after you? How many times have you been turned down for a loan even though your credit was good? How many times have you been questioned by police for walking through a neighborhood? How many times have you been shot at by a police officer when you we're unarmed and not doing anything unlawful?

The point is, if you are white, these things may or may not have happened to you. But on average these things happen a lot more to black people on a far more regular basis. Recent
bi-partisan efforts at prison reform came about because research showed that prison sentences for blacks were several years longer than for whites even when it was an identical crime.

Much more I could say but I will stop there. Just keep in mind that the more privileged a group is in a society the more likely they are to disbelieve privilege had anything to do with their success and the more likely they are to believe that those who are less fortunate got that way because of some defect of character.
First, I want to thank you for a thoughtful and respectful reply. I appreciate your comments and the tone especially is appreciated.

And many of the things you have stated are true and are issues that we as a society, working together hand-in-hand, must address. I discuss these things with my black friends and listen to their experiences. You cannot hear them talk about their own experiences being black in America without recognizing that there are some basic issues that must constantly be guarded against, and rooted out.

I do think reparations is a topic we'll disagree on fundamentally, for one simple reason....there isn't any way to determine or decide how far back you should go to pay out such reparations. Zulus, when they migrated into the land they lived on in South Africa when whites arrived in numbers, killed an estimated 1-2 million people (all blacks) in the Mfecane. Should the Zulu pay reparations? Should Israel pay reparations to the Palestinians? Oh, but wait, the land belonged to the Israelites 2,000 years ago, so maybe the Palestinians owe reparations to the Jews? You say that whites defend their inaction by stating that blacks have done a lot of bad things too....well, that's factually correct...and if one wants to start paying out one way, you should try to take into account everything and pay out all ways. Or maybe we should just leave it all be and move forward with our lives instead of arguing about such matters when there isn't going to be a good end in site for anyone. But, truthfully, that's a separate discussion....(interesting one, that I think you and I could chat about respectfully, but still, an aside).

I also agree fully with the concept that the dominant group in any society has an advantage and power over other groups in that society. My point in stating that "white privilege is a racist term" is to make the argument that...while this has been true in America, it is NOT a statement that is true in all societies. There is nothing about being "white" that makes one inherently racist in the abstract. It is similar to arguing about whether blacks are responsible for violent crime in America. Statistically, it is a correct statement that blacks commit more violent crime, especially proportionally. But there is nothing inherent in being black that makes one predisposed to violent crime, therefore it IS a racist statement to say that blacks are responsible for most violent crime. I am not sure I am explaining this well...my point is about causality instead of coincidence. There is NO link between being black being a cause of violent crime, ergo to make that link in a statement is incorrect (and racist). The same is true about white privilege.

Further, just as statements about blacks committing most violent crimes are damaging to the development of a healthy "diverse" society where all people are respected.....(and I do believe such statements are damaging), I would argue that white privilege has the same damaging effect. To state that our society has been racist is true, but I would rather emphasize the progress we have made, are making and continue to make. Visiting that museum in Montgomery is probably an excellent place to realize what progress HAS been made, even if it also a remembrance of a shameful past.

Humans have been cruel to each other throughout human history. The Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda, the English and Irish in the British Isles, heck the Japanese and Chinese in WW2, are all examples off the top of my head or exceptionally brutal tribalism which is not racist per se, but demonstrates how tribal humans have been throughout history. Whites are certainly no exception to that. Nor should whites be demonized for it as a race. The behavior should be challenged, yes. Not the race as a whole.

To reach the ideal of diversity that is positive and uplifting, ALL people need to abandon the divisions and name-calling that I seem to see arising more and more....

Thank you again for your insights and I hope my comments are as respectful as yours were....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First, I want to thank you for a thoughtful and respectful reply. I appreciate your comments and the tone especially is appreciated.

And many of the things you have stated are true and are issues that we as a society, working together hand-in-hand, must address. I discuss these things with my black friends and listen to their experiences. You cannot hear them talk about their own experiences being black in America without recognizing that there are some basic issues that must constantly be guarded against, and rooted out.

I do think reparations is a topic we'll disagree on fundamentally, for one simple reason....there isn't any way to determine or decide how far back you should go to pay out such reparations. Zulus, when they migrated into the land they lived on in South Africa when whites arrived in numbers, killed an estimated 1-2 million people (all blacks) in the Mfecane. Should the Zulu pay reparations? Should Israel pay reparations to the Palestinians? Oh, but wait, the land belonged to the Israelites 2,000 years ago, so maybe the Palestinians owe reparations to the Jews? You say that whites defend their inaction by stating that blacks have done a lot of bad things too....well, that's factually correct...and if one wants to start paying out one way, you should try to take into account everything and pay out all ways. Or maybe we should just leave it all be and move forward with our lives instead of arguing about such matters when there isn't going to be a good end in site for anyone. But, truthfully, that's a separate discussion....(interesting one, that I think you and I could chat about respectfully, but still, an aside).

I also agree fully with the concept that the dominant group in any society has an advantage and power over other groups in that society. My point in stating that "white privilege is a racist term" is to make the argument that...while this has been true in America, it is NOT a statement that is true in all societies. There is nothing about being "white" that makes one inherently racist in the abstract. It is similar to arguing about whether blacks are responsible for violent crime in America. Statistically, it is a correct statement that blacks commit more violent crime, especially proportionally. But there is nothing inherent in being black that makes one predisposed to violent crime, therefore it IS a racist statement to say that blacks are responsible for most violent crime. I am not sure I am explaining this well...my point is about causality instead of coincidence. There is NO link between being black being a cause of violent crime, ergo to make that link in a statement is incorrect (and racist). The same is true about white privilege.

Further, just as statements about blacks committing most violent crimes are damaging to the development of a healthy "diverse" society where all people are respected.....(and I do believe such statements are damaging), I would argue that white privilege has the same damaging effect. To state that our society has been racist is true, but I would rather emphasize the progress we have made, are making and continue to make. Visiting that museum in Montgomery is probably an excellent place to realize what progress HAS been made, even if it also a remembrance of a shameful past.

Humans have been cruel to each other throughout human history. The Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda, the English and Irish in the British Isles, heck the Japanese and Chinese in WW2, are all examples off the top of my head or exceptionally brutal tribalism which is not racist per se, but demonstrates how tribal humans have been throughout history. Whites are certainly no exception to that. Nor should whites be demonized for it as a race. The behavior should be challenged, yes. Not the race as a whole.

To reach the ideal of diversity that is positive and uplifting, ALL people need to abandon the divisions and name-calling that I seem to see arising more and more....

Thank you again for your insights and I hope my comments are as respectful as yours were....
Yes, your comments were respectful and I appreciate that.

The challenge of white privilege which I alluded to earlier is that it likes to deflect responsibility. What other groups have done in other cultures at other times, though interesting and perhaps even informative about human nature, is entirely off the topic of white privilege as it is used by the social sciences to describe a particularly American phenomenon.

I don't want to give a lecture so forgive me while I shorthand a few historical points.

The Catholic Church in its doctrines of discovery decreed that non white people encountered in new lands were not really human. Therefore they could be treated in any way necessary in order to gain riches for the church and the privileged classes of Europe.

In the conquest of the Americas settlers survived by confiscating the cultivated lands of natives as well as stealing from their storehouses. This was helpful since clearing old growth forest was not possible for the first settlers.

Christopher Columbus used dogs to hunt down natives in his quest to find gold as well as bringing some natives back to Europe as slaves. Thus the pattern was set for America that white people would not only survive by robbing people of color but would actually begin to build their wealth on the backs of other people.

In the time of African enslavement in this country tremendous wealth was built off the labor of people of color. The nation's capital in Washington D.C. was all built by slave labor. At the end of the American Civil War it was determined that a fair payment for blacks having created tremendous wealth for this country was to give every family 40 acres and a mule. This was a modest payment given the horrors of slavery but it was entirely realistic and doable. Unfortunately, after Lincoln's assasination, and Johnson becoming president, the mood slowly shifted toward not doing anything that would anger the south or compromise the process of further wealth creation by the ruling oligarchy. Thus slaves remained slaves (though euphemistically called share croppers) and continued to work on plantations and in mills with their pay limited and their housing provided for a rental fee.

From that time forward many onerous laws were passed limiting the rights of people of color, further exploiting them for economic gain, and creating a legacy of strong subconscious feelings that dark people are inferior and white people are superior.

It is those subconscious feelings that make our societal issues so intractable. Here is a kind of sloppy illustration of what I mean. Almost all serial killers are white. Almost all mass shooters are white. Almost all child molesters are white. Most rapists are white. But I dare say we don't normally think of those things as racial characteristics of white people. And we shouldn't. But turn to a category where blacks are more heavily represented and, when polled, whites will admit that they think of those things as a racial characteristic of being black. Sadly, even a significant number of blacks will buy into negative racial profiling of other blacks.

All of that is the effect of one race having a dominant cultural position. Why do we call that privilege? Because, if you are white like I am, you have advantages that you don't even know you have, advantages built over generations of economic exploitation and cultural domination. You use those advantages every day just by virtue of the color of your skin.

Reparations may be another topic but I assure you it is possible to do. The problem is that as long as white people don't want to do it it will never happen. So in that sense it may be impossible. Rarely have I heard a white person say, "I'm in favor of it, I just think it is impossible because of ...." and then fill in the blank. The deeper reason is that most white people don't want to feel guilty for something they feel like they didn't do. Understandable. But if our knee jerk reaction is to decide we are just against reparations then it shuts down a conversation that might help us unravel centuries of systemic racism.

It might even turn on a light bulb so that we finally get why so many police officers make a split second decision under stress to shoot an unarmed black citizen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Intelligent and well-reasoned response, and once again I appreciate the tenor of this dialogue. I think I agree with about 90% of what you said, but we still have some important differences to chat about....

We have now begun discussing a couple of inter-related topics....so-called 'white privilege" and reparations.

With regards to the historical rape of indigenous peoples (not just blacks), I concur with your reading of the history and its brutality. Have you ever seen a movie called The Mission? It was a commercial flop and it is a terribly sad movie, but it is also a very moving rendition of how Europeans, with their politics and greed, treated indigenous peoples with brutality and slavery. (The music from it is also haunting and beautiful!). It is sad because of the beauty that is destroyed at the end. Whilst not being precisely accurate historically, it is a romanticized version of what happened in South America to the locals when Europeans pressed their values onto everyone else...and those values did indeed rate locals very poorly. Your recounting of the indignities imposed on black slaves reminded me of that sad tale....

Examples of this abound in history. When Europeans first encountered the Japanese, the Japanese were repulsed by the Europeans because they refused to bathe. In those days, many less educated Europeans believed bathing led to the catching of diseases and they actively resisted bathing. In other words, they literally stank. And when the Japanese offered to let them use their baths, they refused and resisted with violence. No wonder the Japanese words for foreigner and barbarian are the same.....

Unfortunately, our world revolves around power...and no matter how cultured a civilization, when it encountered a more powerful society, it was inevitably overcome and (most often) destroyed. While the idea of the "noble savage" is often romanticized too much (especially about American Indians), there is little doubt that the fate of different societies depends most often on power, not culture, with the least powerful being destroyed time and time again.

The only difference on our arguments is that you are laying this on the white race...whilst I am laying it on all of humanity. Again, technically you are correct in that the white race was the one guilty of these excesses towards black slaves....but as I argued above, that is mere coincidence, it is not a function of being white. Humanity is brutal and has historically been extremely tribal. And, in this day and age when racial divisions seem to be being provoked deliberately by political parties (we can argue later about which party is more guilty of this) in order for politicians to gain political power, use of the term white privilege is a taunt that is unnecessary and counter-productive, I would argue.

You mention this as a particularly American phenomenon. I am not sure why you make that argument and would love to hear your support for it. In my travels and studies of history, I believe I have seen identical behavior by every race and culture. (NB- I may be misunderstanding what you mean by American phenomenon...the original acts, or the defense of those acts...). This may be the crux of the difference in our views.

I am particularly worried about the influence of media and politics on our society, and the use of that media to flame tribalism amongst our society. (Note, I use that term "tribalism" to capture the types of things I think you are calling "white privilege"). I think it is extremely counter-productive to what I see as the American dream of a truly diverse and rich society born of taking the best of the various cultures who come here. I am wholly in favor of continuing to look for places and ways to eliminate tribalism in our culture, wherever it is found. Sometimes, this might be uncomfortable to blacks. (An example might be that some rap music is "hate speech" just as much as any white nationalist video on youtube is, and as such if one is going to ban one, you should ban them both...)

With regard to reparations, I see two huge problems with this approach. First and foremost is the idea that we should never, ever visit the sins of the father onto the son. If a person commits a crime, the idea our society has held dear is you punish that criminal, but you should not hold their family (and especially their children) liable for that crime. How do you put a price tag on murder? If you could, would you then require the family of a murderer to go into debt to pay off that debt? In some sense, that is exactly what you are arguing when you argue for reparations. I just cannot see myself ever coming to grips with that concept.

Secondly, it seems to me a basis for your argument is what is "fair". It is unfair to have used slaves and therefore we should repay them for their labor....that is what I think I am hearing from you. Well, the problem with that concept is that 'fairness' is an individually held concept. While I think most folks would agree that slavery is unfair....some would also argue the wages paid to laborers in the steel mills and auto factories 100 years ago were unfair. Heck, people argue about fair ages today. By today's standards, slavery is a horrible human activity. By the standards of 2,000 years ago, it was the norm. By the standards of 300 years ago, it was changing but was still in use in many places in the world. So, my problem with reparations remains what I described before....how is it that you decide that American blacks should get reparations, but other ethnic groups around the world should not? How far back in time do you want to go? I simply do not see any way to 'fairly' make these determinations, and if you limit is to American blacks then it goes back to a divisive racial argument at a time when I think we should be remmebering what MLK said and trying to find bridges and commonlaity betwene races and cultures.

I look forward to your thought-provoking reply....for this thread does make me think (and that's a good thing)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Intelligent and well-reasoned response, and once again I appreciate the tenor of this dialogue. I think I agree with about 90% of what you said, but we still have some important differences to chat about....

We have now begun discussing a couple of inter-related topics....so-called 'white privilege" and reparations.

With regards to the historical rape of indigenous peoples (not just blacks), I concur with your reading of the history and its brutality. Have you ever seen a movie called The Mission? It was a commercial flop and it is a terribly sad movie, but it is also a very moving rendition of how Europeans, with their politics and greed, treated indigenous peoples with brutality and slavery. (The music from it is also haunting and beautiful!). It is sad because of the beauty that is destroyed at the end. Whilst not being precisely accurate historically, it is a romanticized version of what happened in South America to the locals when Europeans pressed their values onto everyone else...and those values did indeed rate locals very poorly. Your recounting of the indignities imposed on black slaves reminded me of that sad tale....

Examples of this abound in history. When Europeans first encountered the Japanese, the Japanese were repulsed by the Europeans because they refused to bathe. In those days, many less educated Europeans believed bathing led to the catching of diseases and they actively resisted bathing. In other words, they literally stank. And when the Japanese offered to let them use their baths, they refused and resisted with violence. No wonder the Japanese words for foreigner and barbarian are the same.....

Unfortunately, our world revolves around power...and no matter how cultured a civilization, when it encountered a more powerful society, it was inevitably overcome and (most often) destroyed. While the idea of the "noble savage" is often romanticized too much (especially about American Indians), there is little doubt that the fate of different societies depends most often on power, not culture, with the least powerful being destroyed time and time again.

The only difference on our arguments is that you are laying this on the white race...whilst I am laying it on all of humanity. Again, technically you are correct in that the white race was the one guilty of these excesses towards black slaves....but as I argued above, that is mere coincidence, it is not a function of being white. Humanity is brutal and has historically been extremely tribal. And, in this day and age when racial divisions seem to be being provoked deliberately by political parties (we can argue later about which party is more guilty of this) in order for politicians to gain political power, use of the term white privilege is a taunt that is unnecessary and counter-productive, I would argue.

You mention this as a particularly American phenomenon. I am not sure why you make that argument and would love to hear your support for it. In my travels and studies of history, I believe I have seen identical behavior by every race and culture. (NB- I may be misunderstanding what you mean by American phenomenon...the original acts, or the defense of those acts...). This may be the crux of the difference in our views.

I am particularly worried about the influence of media and politics on our society, and the use of that media to flame tribalism amongst our society. (Note, I use that term "tribalism" to capture the types of things I think you are calling "white privilege"). I think it is extremely counter-productive to what I see as the American dream of a truly diverse and rich society born of taking the best of the various cultures who come here. I am wholly in favor of continuing to look for places and ways to eliminate tribalism in our culture, wherever it is found. Sometimes, this might be uncomfortable to blacks. (An example might be that some rap music is "hate speech" just as much as any white nationalist video on youtube is, and as such if one is going to ban one, you should ban them both...)

With regard to reparations, I see two huge problems with this approach. First and foremost is the idea that we should never, ever visit the sins of the father onto the son. If a person commits a crime, the idea our society has held dear is you punish that criminal, but you should not hold their family (and especially their children) liable for that crime. How do you put a price tag on murder? If you could, would you then require the family of a murderer to go into debt to pay off that debt? In some sense, that is exactly what you are arguing when you argue for reparations. I just cannot see myself ever coming to grips with that concept.

Secondly, it seems to me a basis for your argument is what is "fair". It is unfair to have used slaves and therefore we should repay them for their labor....that is what I think I am hearing from you. Well, the problem with that concept is that 'fairness' is an individually held concept. While I think most folks would agree that slavery is unfair....some would also argue the wages paid to laborers in the steel mills and auto factories 100 years ago were unfair. Heck, people argue about fair ages today. By today's standards, slavery is a horrible human activity. By the standards of 2,000 years ago, it was the norm. By the standards of 300 years ago, it was changing but was still in use in many places in the world. So, my problem with reparations remains what I described before....how is it that you decide that American blacks should get reparations, but other ethnic groups around the world should not? How far back in time do you want to go? I simply do not see any way to 'fairly' make these determinations, and if you limit is to American blacks then it goes back to a divisive racial argument at a time when I think we should be remmebering what MLK said and trying to find bridges and commonlaity betwene races and cultures.

I look forward to your thought-provoking reply....for this thread does make me think (and that's a good thing)

It is remarkable how civil your tone is given the degree to which we are talking past each other. I tried to explain that white privilege is not being used as a universal descriptor nor are we saying that white people are the only ones guilty of bad behavior. We are simply talking about the particular and unique history of American use of African slaves and the systemic damage that had done.

What I want to share now is not a criticism of you or your arguments but rather an attempt at a teachable moment. When blacks hear whites counter the white privilege discussion with comments about other races, other countries or other times in history it often sounds to them like an inability to hear someone's truth who is not white. The reason for this is our own unique American history. From Jim Crow laws, to separate but equal to voter suppression, white people have often had "reasonable arguments" for maintaining a white privilege they didn't recognize and claimed they didn't have.

I am boarding a plane. More later.