IF THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This game just reminds me that we are in a different universe than the DWAGS in FOOTBALL. In most other sports we are pretty competitive. Volleyball, basketball, baseball and golf we are equal or even better at this time. We have coaches in those sports - especially WBB, volleyball, baseball and golf who have teams that are relevant on the national scene- that are WINNERS. They recruit well, they coach up, the players are engaged , committed and tuned in to what they are supposed to do on the court/field.
For us to even start being competitive in football, we must have a coaching staff that is not learning on the job, but brings an established record of success , if not at the HC level then at every coach below him. This coming year is critical, IMO, that we show significant progress. We have been barely treading water for the last 3 years while we slide from relevance , even in our own state.

You are not wrong. WTBS, if you think this is solely an issue of CGC vs. Kirby Smart I would have to disagree. Strongly. it's not even an issue of CPJ vs. CKS either. I think the gap was becoming evident at the end of his tenure. The problem is bigger and starts at a level higher than the HC and perhaps even the AD. This is not an endorsement of our coach fwiw. I am saying that changing coaches is NOT a panacea if GT truly does want to compete at the level we saw last night. They would say they do of course (except for Dave Braine who told us effectively that we are what we are). i don't believe they mean it however. I think the status quo is fine.

The sports you mention. Yes, we can compete in them. Why? I believe the real reason is twofold (beyond the coaching which I agree is a necessary component)- the teams are much smaller (you can have a nucleus of 2-3 guys and have a strong golf team) and they don't generate revenue. therefore, they don't get the full attention and resolve of the AD's at the power schools. One natty in FB is worth 10,000 of them in the minor (non-revenue) sports. If softball generated as much cash as FB, I think the same schools would dominate in them if they set their minds to do so.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Is it time to renew the discussion over dropping down to the FCS level? Is it better to be the small fish in the bigger pond or the big fish in the smaller pond? Reportedly, the FCS division’s average game attendance in 2019 was between 7,000 and 8,000 and, with the way our program is heading, we could probably hit that number before too long…

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One more depressing note about the unthinkable is that last night 10,000 little tykes watching the game on TV with their parents and grandparents just became diehard uga sidewalk fans who will pony up money to the athletic department in adulthood and fly the red and blac colors the rest of their lives. Hard to believe but there was a time when Tech was the default team for sidewalk fans in this state. We moved from that a long time ago but the last five years have made Tech invisible and our days of getting sidewalk fans are essentially over with. And uga just doubled their already big following.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
Alternative Approach to the Future - focus all efforts on soccer as a sport for Georgia Tech. It's gaining overall popularity amongst young kids, MLS is gaining traction, and ATL United is right down the road. It's an international sport and we have lots of international kids that would attend the games and later fund the program. The program would gain popularity at Tech as eventually football fades soccer takes over and we are in the leading position for the future. Just my 2cents :)

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This game just reminds me that we are in a different universe than the DWAGS in FOOTBALL. In most other sports we are pretty competitive. Volleyball, basketball, baseball and golf we are equal or even better at this time. We have coaches in those sports - especially WBB, volleyball, baseball and golf who have teams that are relevant on the national scene- that are WINNERS. They recruit well, they coach up, the players are engaged , committed and tuned in to what they are supposed to do on the court/field.
For us to even start being competitive in football, we must have a coaching staff that is not learning on the job, but brings an established record of success , if not at the HC level then at every coach below him. This coming year is critical, IMO, that we show significant progress. We have been barely treading water for the last 3 years while we slide from relevance , even in our own state.
Coaching helps, but this is way bigger than coaching. The level of investment on football at the top schools is at a completely different level.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Alternative Approach to the Future - focus all efforts on soccer as a sport for Georgia Tech. It's gaining overall popularity amongst young kids, MLS is gaining traction, and ATL United is right down the road. It's an international sport and we have lots of international kids that would attend the games and later fund the program. The program would gain popularity at Tech as eventually football fades soccer takes over and we are in the leading position for the future. Just my 2cents :)
This is actually a better idea than most will realize. I don't get why we don't have soccer....

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
One more depressing note about the unthinkable is that last night 10,000 little tykes watching the game on TV with their parents and grandparents just became diehard uga sidewalk fans who will pony up money to the athletic department in adulthood and fly the red and blac colors the rest of their lives. Hard to believe but there was a time when Tech was the default team for sidewalk fans in this state. We moved from that a long time ago but the last five years have made Tech invisible and our days of getting sidewalk fans are essentially over with. And uga just doubled their already big following.
We haven't gotten sidewalk fans in numbers since the 70s. The sidewalk fans we have gotten in the last 40 years are people who want to swim against the stream. We will still get those, but that is such a small number.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Coaching is a factor, but there are other factors that are more predictive of football success: student enrollment + stadium size = $$$.

Tech is smaller than most "football schools" in all three of those categories.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coaching helps, but this is way bigger than coaching. The level of investment on football at the top schools is at a completely different level.
TDonations to athletics
Uga 63,000,000 $ per year
Gt 10,400,000 $ per year.

We are at the bottom of ACC and P5 donations. W

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is it time to renew the discussion over dropping down to the FCS level? Is it better to be the small fish in the bigger pond or the big fish in the smaller pond? Reportedly, the FCS division’s average game attendance in 2019 was between 7,000 and 8,000 and, with the way our program is heading, we could probably hit that number before too long…
I don't understand this. What possible good would that do? Drop down and we'll lose whatever fans we have left. To answer your question, yes, it is better to be a small fish in the bigger pond than to be the big fish in the smaller pond. Just start winning and fans will come back. I can't believe anyone would seriously entertain such a notion. May as well just shut down the whole operation as to do that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coaching can be a factor, but there are other factors that are more predictive of football success: student enrollment + stadium size = $$$.

Tech is smaller than most "football schools" in all three of those categories.
Iirc
TEXAS AM has 3 times the Alumnini.
Their average donations is 3 times Gt

Yea they donate - 90,000,000 a year to our

Texas Tech, Purdue, Virginia Tech etc donations are twice gt.