If the Monday Night Game

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Is, relatively speaking, a numbers bust as regards "share", # of TV sets, viewers and whatever the networks look at (due to 2 schools from same conference, neighboring states); would this perhaps influence the money people to push for only Conference champs being invited or expanding the number of teams invited?

I think they would first restrict it to conference champs if it is indeed a problem .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it will open up more slots but not give auto invites by conference

,Imo we need more final 4 playoffs with just the top factory schools of sec and acc involved.

After 2 more like this year the other schools could push for limits on staff to stop the escalation.
If we go to admit by conference some realignment will occur.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my solution:

Create 8 super conferences of 16 teams in FBS. We’d need to add 4 teams, I think, to have 128 team in FBS.

Each conference would have two divisions of 8 teams.

Expand the playoffs to 8 teams.

Win your division and make the conference championship. Win the conference and make the 8 team playoff. (The conference championship games are essentially the first round of the playoffs.)

This way, there are no polls, there are no committees, there is no subjective judging. Every single one of the 128 teams has the same opportunity to win the national championship at the start of the season.

*ND would have to join a conference or be left out.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my solution:

Create 8 super conferences of 16 teams in FBS. We’d need to add 4 teams, I think, to have 128 team in FBS.

Win your division and make the conference championship. Win the conference and make the 8 team playoff. (The conference championship games are essentially the first round of the playoffs.)

This way, there are no polls, there are no committees, there is no subjective judging. Every single one of the 128 teams has the same opportunity to win the national championship at the start of the season.

Nope. 4 is good

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The numbers are going to tank. It’ll be worse than the Bama-LSU title game which also tanked. People in the southeast usually watch the CFB Championship regardless of who’s in it but nobody else in the country gives a damn if there’s not a team they care about (or despise like their own conference rivals) in it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you no one up here in Michigan cares about it. No one on radio or social media even discussing it. B10 country hates Bama/SEC and an all SEC championship makes it that less appealing.
This game is a no win for any fan or conference in the country outside the SEC

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The numbers are going to tank. It’ll be worse than the Bama-LSU title game which also tanked. People in the southeast usually watch the CFB Championship regardless of who’s in it but nobody else in the country gives a damn if there’s not a team they care about (or despise like their own conference rivals) in it.
I think the game will be as boring as that Alabama-LSU game was and could do damage to the public opinion of the structure of the FBS Playoffs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What we have now is not good... er... unless you like figure skating and diving and beauty pageants. Actually, there’s more objectivity in figure skating/diving with well defined criteria and points system.
I’ll also add that with the current system only about a fourth of the field has any chance at a Natty before any games are played.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the ratings will be down, but not as bad as Bama/LSU from a few years ago. That game was bad because it was a rematch from earlier in the year, and the first game was 9-6. The casual fan isn't tuning in for a low-scoring game. Tonight's game has the teacher vs student angle the media will hype up. Hope I'm wrong & the ratings are in the toilet.

According to Joel Klatt the SEC commissioner basically held the whole playoff system hostage & refused to agree to only allowing conf champs in. So it sounds like they're more likely to expand the playoffs than to make conf championships a requirement.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking back to 2012, last 5 years, it seems like it is not necessarily sec vs sec that fails to draw a good national viewership, but any regional matchup. I don't know how the comitee or playoffs expansion would prevent that

Year. Matchup. Rating
2016. Clem v Al. 14.2
2015. Al vs Clem. 15.0
2014. OSU vs Oregon. 18.6
2013. Aub v F$U. 14.8
2012. AL v. ND. 15.7

For reference
2011. AL v. LSU. 14.0
2006. TX v USC. 21.7

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s my solution:

I like this, with one addition, the two 8 team divisions for each conf will be tiered each year to Div-1 and Div-2 each year
Div-1 top 8 teams and Div-2 only play teams in their division. Top 2 teams from Div-2 conf move up to Div-1, bottom 2 from each Div-1 conf move down to Div-2 each year.

Positives
Season starts with only 64 teams really competing for national championship. They only play each other, eliminates easy games. All teams have strong SoS.
Bottom 64 teams compete for Div 2 championship, plus to be elevated to Div-1 next year. Gives mid-major schools something to play for.
Top 64 schools, even bad teams will be playing to stay in Div-1 for the following year. Makes more games have meaning.
Non factory team will have National championship to play for.

Negative:
NCAA roster turn over - If team has bad year falls to Div-2, the following year they could recruit once in generation QB win Div-2 title, and actual be better then Div-1 champion. But they still won title, and it was still against weaker competition, so you would never really know.
Team like FSU this year may drop: dominate Di-2 following year.
Rival Game would be dependent on Tiers.

Example
ACC picks up:
East Carolina
Notre Dame

Next year
Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Va Tech, NC State, Wake, Ga Tech, Dotre Dame would be Div-1
FSU, Pitt, Duke, Cuse, Pitt, uVA, UNC, East Carolina would be Div-2
Div 1 would only play Div-1 in ACC, plus 4 out of conference Games (Div-1 from other Conf). Bottom 2 teams would fall to Div-2 following year
Div 2 would only play Div-2 in ACC, plus 4 out of conference Games (Div-2 from other Conf). Top2 teams would be promoted to Div-1 the following year

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking back to 2012, last 5 years, it seems like it is not necessarily sec vs sec that fails to draw a good national viewership, but any regional matchup. I don't know how the comitee or playoffs expansion would prevent that

Year. Matchup. Rating
2016. Clem v Al. 14.2
2015. Al vs Clem. 15.0
2014. OSU vs Oregon. 18.6
2013. Aub v F$U. 14.8
2012. AL v. ND. 15.7

For reference
2011. AL v. LSU. 14.0
2006. TX v USC. 21.7

Good to see this data. Interestingly, Tim Brando was on 929 The Game last week and made the same comment that other posters have made, the ratings for this will be lower than expected due to the matchup and that other big market areas in the country won't have much interest. He surmised that the networks may push to expand the playoffs in a few years, at least to 6 teams. The hosts could barely hide their 'homerism' but reluctantly had to agree with his based on the ratings from AL/LSU game.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Too bad ucf wasn't part of this playoff. Undefeated unlike those 2 bozos mon night. Auburn couldn't beat ucf but did defeat both of ugag & bama.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my solution:

To quote Rocket J. Squirrel (again): "That's too simple and makes too much sense."

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my solution:

You would have to really rearange confrences. this would never work you got acc big 10 big 12 pac12 sec then who are the other 3 American c-USA MAC lol that wouldn't work. you got to have 5 major conferences each champion from auto bid gets in 2 at large 1 from outside power 5

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I hope the roof gets stuck open...it rains all game right about at freezing temp....both fan bases are miserable throughout (except for this next part) and bama beats the mutts by at least a half a hundred.
At least there's this?
Rainy wait outside Mercedes-Benz Stadium draws ire
While most appeared seated by kickoff, fans attending the game between Alabama and Georgia told ESPN they waited in security lines for more than an hour, and in some cases much longer. Making matters worse, there was a steady rain falling as fans waited to get inside.
Mindy Eskew, a Georgia fan, said some fans had difficulty pulling up their mobile tickets on their cellphones because the Wi-Fi and cellular service wasn't working. "It's the worst experience of going to a game I've ever been to," she said.
There were several empty seats inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium after the game kicked off. A guard at a security door, who declined to be named, said security officials closed lines to fans for about 45 minutes for Trump's entrance.