if tech was in the national championship game....

which team would you like to be playing against?

• georgia

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • alabama

Votes: 57 45.2%
  • miami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • auburn

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • notre dame

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • ohio state

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • michigan

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • oklahoma

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • florida state

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • other

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your post. I especially agree with the fact that it means we probably beat everyone else. I say that because we could lose one game, say it's to Clemson by a score of 28 to 27, and ESPN etal would say that proves the ACC is down and so 2 SEC teams with records of 9-3 ( with two of the three losses being to ACC teams) should be in.

For lack of a better word I think that by winning recent championships that Clemson and FSU have given legitimacy to the argument that at least the top ACC team should probably make the playoffs. We probably don't have the prestige of those programs but if, as you mentioned, we lost to Clemson in a close one and then spanked them in the conference championship game then we should make the playoff. My only concern is that if we win the championship that CPJ may become the one recruited and other teams may adopt our offense...but I could live with that!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
if tech was in the national championship game... which team would you want to playing against?
I voted "other" meaning somebody we could beat because I don't think we can beat any of those teams listed except maybe UGA and we probably would not be playing them in a national championship game anyway.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Just did some quick research. About 27 FBS schools have won a nation championship since 1869. So 100ish have never won one.

Well, several schools, most notably, Alabama, Miami, USC, Texas, and our own GT have multiple championships. I don't know off the top of my head but in addition to the dozens and dozens of schools like Iowa State that have never even sniffed a national championship and likely as not are not going to you may have some pretty big names in that 100 or so that may be surprising. I don't know that LSU has ever won one nor has UNC , UCLA, or Arkansas.

Well, several schools, most notably, Alabama, Miami, USC, Texas, and our own GT have multiple championships. I don't know off the top of my head but in addition to the dozens and dozens of schools like Iowa State that have never even sniffed a national championship and likely as not are not going to you may have some pretty big names in that 100 or so that may be surprising. I don't know that LSU has ever won one nor has UNC , UCLA, or Arkansas.
LSU has. I think UCLA may have. Pretty sure the others you mentiined have not.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I chose Bammer but FSU would be really cool, too. Imagine what two undefeated ACC teams in the natty would do to all those SEC drum beaters who have no horse to root for or SEC banner to wave!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I chose Bammer but FSU would be really cool, too. Imagine what two undefeated ACC teams in the natty would do to all those SEC drum beaters who have no horse to root for or SEC banner to wave!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
LSU has. I think UCLA may have. Pretty sure the others you mentiined have not.
Come to think of it, didn't the "Mad Hatter" win a championship with them early on in his tenure? Don't know about UCLA either. Point being, to win a national championship you not only have to be very talented (which eliminates most of the power 5 schools) but also an element of luck involved with scheduling, injuries etc. Think about it, even with all the talent that has gone through UGA they have come close to being national champions just once since 1980 a few years ago when they had a shot in the end zone against Alabama in the waning moment of the SEC Championship game. That UGA team would have stomped Notre Dame in the title game.

Last edited:

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Stanford for recruiting and brand benefits. Not all that interested in comingling with folk from an SEC hamlet.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
My choice was Bama, mainly because I'm around uga fans all the time and they have an obsession with Bama. They want to be them and think they will be once Kirby gets all of his recruits in and all of Richts non talented guys out. Nobody is better than them in their eyes, and that would be the only way to get any respect out of them.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ucla definitely has one as they are one of the few schools that have won football and basketball. Frank Broyles coached Arkansas to a natty
Didn't know that for sure. I know that Arkansas ruined the 1968 Sugar Bowl upsetting heavily favored UGA that had won the SEC championship that year. That was the team that beat us 4o something to 8 in Athens. They were really good but not on that day. I did not know Arkansas had won a national championship under Broyles.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Didn't know that for sure. I know that Arkansas ruined the 1968 Sugar Bowl upsetting heavily favored UGA that had won the SEC championship that year. That was the team that beat us 4o something to 8 in Athens. They were really good but not on that day. I did not know Arkansas had won a national championship under Broyles.
Turns out they claim 1964 from another poll but finished #2 in coaches and AP after an undefeated season
1 loss bama was awarded the major polls

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I want Bama. What happened to us playing them in few years? Is it true that they chickened out and decided to play Duke instead?

"I want Bama" After Tech's 1966 team had barely defeated Virginia to remain unbeaten at 9-0 with a top 10 ranking, Tech students chanted "We want Bama!" Dodd, being a reasonable sort, growled: "Maybe you want them, I don't" He knew the limitations of that team which under had labored so long with injuries finally wilted late in the season with losses to a very good UGA team and a Florida Gator team led by Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier in the Orange Bowl.