IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pastner has had some success. Both here and at memphis. The issue has been with sustaining it and repeating it with different groups.

There are certainly some guys who have had sustained success, Kelsey, or repeated success at multiple stops, Hunter. But why would we go through a coaching change for a coach that only has one or two notable seasons when Pastner has already done that here, if they don't bring something else proven?
Point exactly. I am not happy right now, but the change needs to be the right change.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Take this w a grain of salt, but I heard today from a coaching friend were going to hire CoC coach, Pat Kelsey
That seems newsworthy

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That seems newsworthy

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

It's rumor worthy. But considering the timing I can't see it being anything more than signs of mutual interest in back channels since we're likely 3 weeks out from firing Pastner and longer before CoC is likely done, so I would guess it was more speculation phrased more defenitive than it actually is (at some point in the process)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The suggestions are so ****ing pathetic. Drop to the Atlantic Sun or the SoCon. Gather $15MM and offer Chris Beard and set your pride aside. Make GT basketball a revenue generating program

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's rumor worthy. But considering the timing I can't see it being anything more than signs of mutual interest in back channels since we're likely 3 weeks out from firing Pastner and longer before CoC is likely done, so I would guess it was more speculation phrased more defenitive than it actually is (at some point in the process)
I do not have any information to refute this rumor, but, if it's true, GT and Kelsey have a huge stake in keeping it secret. That makes me think the "coach" who revealed it, or the rumor itself, has little cred.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The suggestions are so ****ing pathetic. Drop to the Atlantic Sun or the SoCon. Gather $15MM and offer Chris Beard and set your pride aside. Make GT basketball a revenue generating program
On the surface, this is not a bad idea. But, not for $15MM.

I wonder if the GTAA mentality of always wanting to run a clean program would let the "dropped" charges slide. At one time the police thought the charges against him were legit. I know of other domestic abuse charges that were dropped once the spose realized she did not want to press charges. He may have done exactly what she initally claimed. And, that is the cloud hanging over his head.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Came here to say charges dropped let’s get this man on the cheap.

Yall know good and well we're not gonna do that. That suggestion is among the most ridiculous ones in this thread.

And "charges dropped" and "innocent" aren't synonyms.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
On the surface, this is not a bad idea. But, not for $15MM.

I wonder if the GTAA mentality of always wanting to run a clean program would let the "dropped" charges slide. At one time the police thought the charges against him were legit. I know of other domestic abuse charges that were dropped once the spose realized she did not want to press charges. He may have done exactly what she initally claimed. And, that is the cloud hanging over his head.
In some states, a DV call requires an arrest of somebody by the responding officers. Not saying that's what happened here. I believe it was stated somewhere he admitted being hands on with the Ms. So, I'd say he's a no around our parts.

We'll find the right guy.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't understand the logic of some of these suggestions.
Here is my logic:
I assumed with the title of the thread, Pastner was already gone. If we had better funding in several areas, Pastner would likely win more. We made a good for our budget hire in football. I thought Kelsey was a good for our budget hire for basketball.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
KimHere's a photo that puts "structural issues" into perspective:

View attachment 14016

Who are those people? Left to right:
  • Adam Weitsman - former convicted felon. Now a billionaire, scrap metal business owner. He sits courtside at 'Cuse and has flown in Tom Brady, Giannis, Jimmy Fallon, Pete Davidson, Jalen Hurts, etc. to join him at games.
  • Elijah Moore - 4* recruit. Flown in on Weitsman's private jet & dime for an NIL visit to a Syracuse basketball game. Not a recruiting visit. An NIL visit. Within today's rules.
  • Fabolous - rapper; Weitsman's celebrity guest for the game, flown in on the private jet with Moore along with one other rapper

Syracuse recruiting had fallen off in part due to Boeheim's age, sanctions, loss of assistants, etc. But the real issue, imo? They stopped paying players for a period of time like back in the day (we did it at GT too, get over it). Weitsman has committed $1M to incoming 4* and 5* recruits.

Moore committed shortly after this visit.

Who is going to solve this "structural issue" for GT?
I thought the guy was Billy Joel...

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
At this point I'm not in favor of canning Pastner after this season. The very high chance we are unable to replace him with anyone better while eating the bill, plus I want to keep that Soph core together. I think if we can get another mid-major F/C like Franklin (big ask), we are a bubble team next year. This team trajectory follows the 2019-20 season very closely - they've finally found an offensive flow/chemistry/BBIQ that gets them open looks and let's them score like we know they can. Now that that's in place, we just need to do it for the full 30+ games rather than the final 10 games.

Of course then we maybe just end up with a Jeff Capel situation where we need to extend/fire Pastner after next season's NCAAT berth and go for round 3 of this cycle. The other possibility is we fire Pastner and fill the entire '23-'24 team with transfers and roll the dice there. It's not as bad of a strategy as it sounds.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
At this point I'm not in favor of canning Pastner after this season. The very high chance we are unable to replace him with anyone better while eating the bill, plus I want to keep that Soph core together. I think if we can get another mid-major F/C like Franklin (big ask), we are a bubble team next year. This team trajectory follows the 2019-20 season very closely - they've finally found an offensive flow/chemistry/BBIQ that gets them open looks and let's them score like we know they can. Now that that's in place, we just need to do it for the full 30+ games rather than the final 10 games.

Of course then we maybe just end up with a Jeff Capel situation where we need to extend/fire Pastner after next season's NCAAT berth and go for round 3 of this cycle. The other possibility is we fire Pastner and fill the entire '23-'24 team with transfers and roll the dice there. It's not as bad of a strategy as it sounds.
UGA did that this season and while Bama just abused them they’re still above .500.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
UGA did that this season and while Bama just abused them they’re still above .500.
Kansas State has floated around top 10 in AP rankings in the toughest P6 conference with this strategy too. They may have had some sort of NIL injection to get Keyontae Johnson though and Tang definitely did a good job on the portal scouting front.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@AUFC , I'm also wary of making a move due to the questionable prospects of actually finding a marked improvement out there.

But I tend to think next year will be it's own animal and not a progression from what we're currently seeing. Franklin has been a huge part of what we're seeing as has Terry. No guarantee we'll find day-1 contributors like that. And no guarantee we won't waste another 2/3 or 4/5 of a season tryna force a square offensive peg into a round hole.

So I guess I'm more 'hopeful' than optimistic.

Not arguing, just sharing thoughts.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Kansas State has floated around top 10 in AP rankings in the toughest P6 conference with this strategy too. They may have had some sort of NIL injection to get Keyontae Johnson though and Tang definitely did a good job on the portal scouting front.
Maybe GT can replicate what KSU accomplished, but it will be difficult. The Hill wants transfers to have a legitimate academic mission. Purely mercenary transfers are going be looking for an easier ride off the court.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
And no guarantee we won't waste another 2/3 or 4/5 of a season tryna force a square offensive peg into a round hole.
This. For me, my frustrations evolve strongly from a seeming lack of adjustment to our current roster.

I failed at this with my last team. Our previous iterations ran a set offense and played grinder ball. When I got better athletes, I wasted some time trying to fit them into the old paradigm. By the time we converted to an up tempo pressure defense team and found a rhythm, half our season was in the bucket. My fault.

I see CJP insisting on running our grinder offense and it makes me nash my teeth. We could be and should be better on offense. Give Deivon the rock and run, instead of running sets.....