IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Get the **** outta here with Mark Turgeon. You should be banned from this site for that one.

With the way he's trending in the Big East, Mike Anderson might be getting fired. You deserve a double ban.
How about one of the ex Duke players/ assistant coaches

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It cost them that much to fire him with cause. They owed him $15 million without cause. https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article247245209.html.

In similar terms, just because someone isn't convicted doesn't mean they weren't really guilty (I know this is civil court, here, though). Courtrooms are tricky places. Did Wichita State want to air all the dirty laundry that would have needed airing to get out of the contract scot-free? Maybe not.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon
Oh, I was not trying to suggest that there was absolutely nothing there or that he is completely "innocent". Just that it was probably not so egregious that is was not worth firing him for cause instead of negotiating a settlement.

I also think Marshall is much more likely candidate (which is to say not likely at all) than Pitino given their age and how much compensation for which each would ask.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Ben McCollum, NW Mo State
334-83 lifetime record
29-5 D2 NCAAT
4 time national champion
5 time D2 National Coach of the Year
Won conference 10 of last 11 years

Could he recruit & win in D1? No way to know, but I think he's a better bet than a P6 assistant or someone with one good year as HC. Would need a really good recruiting assistant, but that can be done.
I don't know much about Ben McCollum - but this is the type of coach I would prefer GT go after. When you look at Wake, VT, Miami - all brought in coaches that were really good coaches and achieved significant success where they were. All of them seem to adapt their system to the players to get the most out of the team (I think all of us feel that is #1 issue w/CJP - offensive scheme that does not fit the talent well). Agree he needs NIL infrastructure in place to compete - and - staff to augment the recruiting .... but someone like this could be at GT a long time, or have so much success a blue blood poaches him (if so, at least GT basketball was signficantly improved for a time).

slugboy

Staff member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How are you coming up with these names?

Heh, I have some ideas .....

Simple Town GIF by Eternal Family

Kidding, kidding. Actually Grant may be getting tired of the OH folk considering the issues hes having with gamblers threatening him and his kids.

slugboy

Staff member

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been ready to say goodbye to Pastner for a while. However, in this NIL era idk if any coach we can afford can change GT sports. It's all about NIL money now. It's spend to win and we are broke.

dullivan

Georgia Tech Fan
John Beilein, I know he’s older and got tired of the cheating going on in cbb but he’s a great teacher of the game. At Michigan he found underrated pgs and turned them into nba picks.
2nd choice Jonas Hayes, either one would be a major major upgrade than what we have now!!!