If our offense played against our defense...

slugboy

Staff member
Leaving out special teams to make things easier, let’s look at this.
Pre-UGA, our (F+) offense was #24 and our defense was #61. I think UGA was top 10 at both, so we were closer on offense, but probably not 38 points close—I think we would probably score 21 or 24, and I lean closer to 21. Our performances against Duke and UVA lean me in that direction. And most of that is on our defense.
Earlier in the year, our defense was playing better, and in some games they showed up when our offense didn’t. Outside of VT, they’ve been AWOL for the last month+. Offense has checked out a lot too; second half of Duke was pretty sad.
I wouldn’t say we’re “close”; to be a top 25 team, you usually have to be top 15 or so in either offense or defense and not bad in the other. After UGA, I expect us to drop lower.
I saw us miss a bunch of reads all year long. If your QB is still missing a lot of reads in November, when is the lightbulb going to go off?
We were missing blocks in the latter part of the season. Again, at this part of the season, you should know where you’re going and be able to get there. If an option team isn’t smooth in November, it’s not about to get a lot better.
If you’re arguing that a unit that’s been a top 10 offense many times in the last decade is closer to getting it together than a defense that hasn’t been top 50 for most (all) of the last decade, I’ll concede that argument.
My opinion is that offense, defense, and special teams all need a truckload of work in the offseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the point of this post, you ask? The O ain’t the problem, folks. Not that I had to tell most of you that.

It is a problem. This year's offense looked like the 2013 offense (Vad Lee), but this year's passing offense was absolutely atrocious. Opposing Defensive Coordinators aren't blind, they could see it wasn't threatening. Somehow, Bud Foster got burned and we beat Virginia Tech with two long passes.

The 2018 QB position has to be open for the taking by Jones or Johnson. If you can execute the ISV and can correctly and accurately throw "Switch" and "Choice" you will start. Justin Thomas could do those things and we know what happened in 2014.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, but it’s more a personnel issue than scheme or coaching, IMO.
I'm curious...they had the model of Laskey, Days, and Shaq Mason...these are not five star players but excellent fits for a scheme...match up recruiting accordingly to phase in experienced players on a three year cycle...am I missing something?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Bruce would have a field day, Imagine our OL trying to cut block Brandon Adams... Defense would dominate. Our best part of the Defense is the secondary, what's the worse part of our Offense?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious...they had the model of Laskey, Days, and Shaq Mason...these are not five star players but excellent fits for a scheme...match up recruiting accordingly to phase in experienced players on a three year cycle...am I missing something?
Mason is All Pro or he should be. He alone elevated the offense especially Laskey and Days.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
It is a problem. This year's offense looked like the 2013 offense (Vad Lee), but this year's passing offense was absolutely atrocious. Opposing Defensive Coordinators aren't blind, they could see it wasn't threatening. Somehow, Bud Foster got burned and we beat Virginia Tech with two long passes.

The 2018 QB position has to be open for the taking by Oliver or Johnson. If you can execute the ISV and can correctly and accurately throw "Switch" and "Choice" you will start. Justin Thomas could do those things and we know what happened in 2014.

FIFY. Jones from what we are hearing probably will not be with the program much longer.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
FIFY. Jones from what we are hearing probably will not be with the program much longer.

on Jones-How do we get too many QBs and not enough LBs(for STs) or OLs? Bad planning.Just like if you look at this yr' s recruit class(for 18) and last yrs.there are too many DBs together and not enough OL/LBs. Look for transfers down the road. hmmmms.