If our offense played against our defense...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
in a real game, using the same starting field position as UGA did, would CPJ score 38 points? I think he would, and it wouldn’t be that hard either.

Our offense is a lot closer in ability to UGA’s offense than our defense is to their defense. By far.

What is the point of this post, you ask? The O ain’t the problem, folks. Not that I had to tell most of you that.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
Not with TM making bad reads and terrible throws. not to mentionthe nonexisting edge blocking. I miss the 2014 offense.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
in a real game, using the same starting field position as UGA did, would CPJ score 38 points? I think he would, and it wouldn’t be that hard either.

Our offense is a lot closer in ability to UGA’s offense than our defense is to their defense. By far.

What is the point of this post, you ask? The O ain’t the problem, folks. Not that I had to tell most of you that.

I get what you’re saying but let’s not fool ourselves and act like our offense doesn’t have issues. Our passing game is absolutely atrocious. We can barely run our bread and butter TO play. There isn’t one metric that shows that our offense was anything more than average to above average this year. Like some have said, we scored 7 points in the last 6 quarters of the year. Unacceptable.

Our defense and special teams are awful and we need a ton of improvement there but we also need to get better on offense and at QB, especially.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
We didn't score 38 points on the defense in the spring game so litereally speaking, you're wrong...

On a related note, uga scored more than 7 points on their defense in the spring game for both 1st and 2nd strings so its safe to assume their Offense is better than our offense. My computer rankings have UGA at the 9 and 16 ranked O and D respectively and GT at the 33rd ranked O and 38th ranked D.

People need to quit acting like its a failed season when we are realistically playing 2 of the 4 teams that are going to be in the playoff (i think uga beats auburn this time due to injuries in Auburns defense in the Iron Bowl. Also with Atlanta being a home game to them) . Yes, Tennesee, Duke, and UVA stung, but god dam did we have a doozy of a schedule.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to use spring games as a measuring stick. Teams are rotating players and only giving basic looks.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game at the bar with a few dozen Michigan fans. I was asked 10-12 times how short in height was our QB and why dont we run the TO out of the shotgun? I remember earlier in the year when Narduzi compared TM to Denard Robinson and the UM fans made similar comparisons. Both were too short to be effective under center and neither could could throw the ball in the ocean if they were in a boat in the middle of the water. I think JT was a closer comparison to Denard but I get his point. Denard best years were when Rich Rod put him in the shotgun. Now I'm not saying we need to scrap the TO under center but we need more looks. (And yes, I remember Vad and the diamond formation but it lasted one gam) I say run some shotgun option looks in the spring/fall camp and try it during the Alcorn St game. It gives the O another dimension that opposing defenses have to focus on. At this point going forward we need ever bit of change we can get. From assistant coaches to shotgun formations.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We didn’t score 38 on UT and what might be the worst rush defense in the nation in regulation, so we wouldn’t have scored 38 on ourselves.

Ours is bad but not that bad. Check the stats.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

You’re probably right about the 38 points, Cheese, and about the fact that our D is probably the greater of two evils. But our O also does not match up to a number of the opposing defenses. Throw in the ST, and as many have said, we get beat more often than not in all three phases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned

I think this was one of CPJ's off years on offense. However; we've all seen what his offense is capable of. I have yet to see the D end the season in the top 25, like of offense, most years. I think that says it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You’re probably right about the 38 points, Cheese, and about the fact that our D is probably the greater of two evils. But our O also does not match up to a number of the opposing defenses. Throw in the ST, and as many have said, we get beat more often than not in all three phases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree, but it’s more a personnel issue than scheme or coaching, IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. We wouldn't score 38. We wouldn't come close.
Why not? Our OL’s performance is key to the whole shebang. When they push the LOS 1 to 2 yards, we’re unstoppable. Likewise, when they get moved 1 to 2 yards backwards, we can’t do anything. Which do you think happens against our D?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We didn't score 38 points on the defense in the spring game so litereally speaking, you're wrong...

On a related note, uga scored more than 7 points on their defense in the spring game for both 1st and 2nd strings so its safe to assume their Offense is better than our offense. My computer rankings have UGA at the 9 and 16 ranked O and D respectively and GT at the 33rd ranked O and 38th ranked D.

People need to quit acting like its a failed season when we are realistically playing 2 of the 4 teams that are going to be in the playoff (i think uga beats auburn this time due to injuries in Auburns defense in the Iron Bowl. Also with Atlanta being a home game to them) . Yes, Tennesee, Duke, and UVA stung, but god dam did we have a doozy of a schedule.
I said a REAL game. Spring games are for evaluating players not scoring points by exploiting weaknesses and tendencies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game at the bar with a few dozen Michigan fans. I was asked 10-12 times how short in height was our QB and why dont we run the TO out of the shotgun? I remember earlier in the year when Narduzi compared TM to Denard Robinson and the UM fans made similar comparisons. Both were too short to be effective under center and neither could could throw the ball in the ocean if they were in a boat in the middle of the water. I think JT was a closer comparison to Denard but I get his point. Denard best years were when Rich Rod put him in the shotgun. Now I'm not saying we need to scrap the TO under center but we need more looks. (And yes, I remember Vad and the diamond formation but it lasted one gam) I say run some shotgun option looks in the spring/fall camp and try it during the Alcorn St game. It gives the O another dimension that opposing defenses have to focus on. At this point going forward we need ever bit of change we can get. From assistant coaches to shotgun formations.
There are realities that prevent you from doing everything that might help. We don’t have enough practice time in a week to get proficient in the small sliver of the existing playbook, what makes you think we can install entirely new formations and plays? Don’t forget our guys are studying for real tests and doing real projects (being real college students) at the same time.

Animal02

Banned

In four losses, the O could not average one TD a quarter......that IS a problem

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why not? Our OL’s performance is key to the whole shebang. When they push the LOS 1 to 2 yards, we’re unstoppable. Likewise, when they get moved 1 to 2 yards backwards, we can’t do anything. Which do you think happens against our D?

We couldn't score 38 against UVA despite a pick 6, safety, and a TO inside the UVA 15. And they had a bottom 5 rush d in the ACC. Against UNC, the worst ACC rush D we needed a garbage time TD to get over 28. Against Duke, who had a worse rush D than us we didn't score 38 or come close. We only scored 38 once and that was on the back of big plays which we didn't reliably get this year. Defensively we gave up 38 twice in regulation, no I don't count UVA where 100 points came directly from other aspects of the ball. And both Duke and UGA had passing games that kept us honest more than ours would. Our OL hasn't consistently pushed the LOS 1-2 yards in any game this year.