If King can’t go

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some interesting stats I noticed yesterday -

Haynes King comp% 71.2, avg 8.2 yds, passer rating 152.9

Zach Pyron comp % 71.4, avg 9.1 yds, passer rating 195.4

👀
Too little data on Pyron (plus stints against VMI will inflate your results).

BUT, I have a TON of confidence in Pyron and his ability to run this offense and this team. I think we’ll be just fine and if we lose this weekend, I really doubt it’ll be because of our QB.

My biggest fear is their DL dominates our OL. Not a shot at our OL, as their DL is almost NFL ready and they have beaten everyone they have played on the LOS.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with your conclusion. I think they’ve run the plays according to the situation, not who they had in the game. There’s no way to know unless Hayne’s isn’t ready and they Pyron this week.
Agree and according to his role for that game. Coach Key is getting Pyron on the field as much as possible because of his size and athletic ability.

I would keep King out unless he is 95%, he's been dinged up all year and needs a rest. We have 3 ACC games left, a win over ND would be sweet but I'd prefer to sweep our remaining conference games and then stun UGAG. And don't forget Pyron led us to victory a few years back in Blacksburg.

ND will no doubt stack the box to take away the run, so the coaches will have to scheme around this. I think the TE's could be a key in this game, short drop-back passes gaining 5-10 yards to continue to move the chains, Harpring looked good on Saturday.

I also like the idea of the team rallying around Pyron, we have some momentum, if King can't go, I think the team will respond.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

My biggest fear is their DL dominates our OL. Not a shot at our OL, as their DL is almost NFL ready and they have beaten everyone they have played on the LOS.
If this is the case, plus the fact that they only have 3 CB's, I would expect a lot of the quick sideline passes that we saw against Duke. Sort of the "body blow" philosophy applied to their corners. If this is the case, I would expect eventually that Malik or Eric will get open down the field on occasion. We will need to convert these opportunities to win this game, which is something we haven't done much of this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If this is the case, plus the fact that they only have 3 CB's, I would expect a lot of the quick sideline passes that we saw against Duke. Sort of the "body blow" philosophy applied to their corners. If this is the case, I would expect eventually that Malik or Eric will get open down the field on occasion. We will need to convert these opportunities to win this game, which is something we haven't done much of this year.
I said in another thread that Buster/Weinke may not expect that the WR screens work well every time. It's more a matter of the results when they do (20 yards or so) and the way they only occasionally lose yards. Even when they "don't work" they usually get 3 - 5 yards. Same with the quick stuff. Also, the way our OL has protected our QBs is a product of decent blocking and a QB who gets rid of the ball. One reason King has been able to do that is that the O has been designed to allow him to do it.

I expect all this applies to Pyron. Or Philo, if it's him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I said in another thread that Buster/Weinke may not expect that the WR screens work well every time. It's more a matter of the results when they do (20 yards or so) and the way they only occasionally lose yards. Even when they "don't work" they usually get 3 - 5 yards. Same with the quick stuff. Also, the way our OL has protected our QBs is a product of decent blocking and a QB who gets rid of the ball. One reason King has been able to do that is that the O has been designed to allow him to do it.

I expect all this applies to Pyron. Or Philo, if it's him.
Past performance against Scuse, UL, Duke, UNC and crummy teams is not a reliable predictor of "didn't work =3-5" yards" against teams like #12nd, #6mia, #5uga.

I hope our brain trust and the qb has a plan for 8 men in the box like Clemson did in 23. They got 4 interceptions and stuffed the run with spy to limit king running.

In games before (uva) and game after (Scuse) - 1 int and our run game was solid.

I think ND is over rated.
Go Jackets

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Pyron has been at GT longer than King, but both Pyron and King have been in Faulkner's system the same amount of time. There's a difference.

You're trying to create drama where there's no drama...it was settled on the field and Key made his decision in 2023. You're ignoring the fact that King is the #15 best QB in college football according to QBR. You're also trying to make GT fans denigrate Pyron to defend King, and anyone who has any sense knows neither QB deserves the crap you're trying to stir up.

Both QBs know their role, and both QBs are team players that are embracing their role, otherwise one of them would not be here. End of story.
I’m not creating anything. We all saw it with our own eyes, When Pyron is put into the game the play calls become middle school level. I love Pyron as a player. He is not calling the plays so he’s not the root of any of this. He has been in this system the same number of days as King yet the coaches DO NOT let him run the plays they let King run. If he starts against ND and light it up then won’t everyone wonder why against UNC we didn’t?

Sure, Pyron is a team player. He’s a good person. But when he gets that GT degree in his hand he ain’t holding a clipboard for another season and I’ll enjoy watching him play somewhere else. And you can quote QBR all you want, but King is not getting drafted this year. I follow some NFL stuff and no one is talking about King. I think King could be fine in the NFL, but Faulkner is doing him no favors with his play calls.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not creating anything. We all saw it with our own eyes, When Pyron is put into the game the play calls become middle school level. I love Pyron as a player. He is not calling the plays so he’s not the root of any of this. He has been in this system the same number of days as King yet the coaches DO NOT let him run the plays they let King run. If he starts against ND and light it up then won’t everyone wonder why against UNC we didn’t?

Sure, Pyron is a team player. He’s a good person. But when he gets that GT degree in his hand he ain’t holding a clipboard for another season and I’ll enjoy watching him play somewhere else. And you can quote QBR all you want, but King is not getting drafted this year. I follow some NFL stuff and no one is talking about King. I think King could be fine in the NFL, but Faulkner is doing him no favors with his play calls.

He didn’t need to come into the UNC game with a cape on. Nor has he needed to in any other game this year. He’s had a very specific and defined role this year, and up until this last game it’s been very successful. Pretty simple. And in these situations where he has been put in the game, there is no need for them to have to open the playbook up. But if they needed to, I can assure you Weinke and Buster have him fully prepared. And who knows, maybe there has been a very specific strategy behind him running “middle school” plays.

It amazes a lot of people don’t think these coaches know what they are doing or that they have guys prepared.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t need to come into the UNC game with a cape on. Nor has he needed to in any other game this year. He’s had a very specific and defined role this year, and up until this last game it’s been very successful. Pretty simple. And in these situations where he has been put in the game, there is no need for them to have to open the playbook up. But if they needed to, I can assure you Weinke and Buster have him fully prepared. And who knows, maybe there has been a very specific strategy behind him running “middle school” plays.

It amazes a lot of people don’t think these coaches know what they are doing or that they have guys prepared.
Again, thank you. Wienke is a Heisman winner at F$U, where he won an MNC, former pro QB, and long time coach. Faulkner is a former VSU QB, who played for an NC, and 20-year coach.

I think they know what they’re doing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Sow, has a strong opinion.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not blaming anything on Pyron. It’s the coaches. We had a 10 point lead and our play calls were so conservative with Pyron that they allowed UNC to tie it up quickly. Sure, we got bailed out by Jamaal and a horrible UNC defense. Great. We aren’t playing UNC or VMI again. We’ve played 2 teams with a pulse and we’ve lost to both of them because our coaches don’t have them prepared. I think Pyron could easily start but why do our coaches not allow him to run the offense? I guess we’ll see Saturday.

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not blaming anything on Pyron. It’s the coaches. We had a 10 point lead and our play calls were so conservative with Pyron that they allowed UNC to tie it up quickly. Sure, we got bailed out by Jamaal and a horrible UNC defense. Great. We aren’t playing UNC or VMI again. We’ve played 2 teams with a pulse and we’ve lost to both of them because our coaches don’t have them prepared. I think Pyron could easily start but why do our coaches not allow him to run the offense? I guess we’ll see Saturday.
Given our playcalls in the game up to that point, I think we'd have run the exact same plays if King were still in the game. It's not that they don't trust him to run the plays.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan

So what you’re saying is on a 4th and 1 or 2, or goal line situations you expect them to insert Zach in a game and sling it around? You can disagree with their approach last week when he came in, and have the mindset the glass is half empty, that’s fine. But they had a plan in place at the end of last weeks game that even Nick Saban would have probably done the same exact way. And I think you saw a glimpse of him being able to run the offense last Saturday on his single pass, and it showed just how prepared Weinke and Buster have him, and all the QBs. It was an RPO, I won’t go into details, but I can assure you if you truly knew all the specifics to that play and the call, you’d see just how prepared they have him. And because he chose that specific read on that play, it played a huge roll in the success of the very next play.

Key has even said it so many times in his press conferences, both Haynes and Zach approach the position the same way, they both can run the offense. They push each other and learn from each other. It’s not like you are subbing in Gibson for Sims if you get what I am saying. Are there different variations and little tweaks that are made between the two, probably. But to think these coaches are neglecting to prepare their #2 guy is hard for me to understand. I think the big takeaway should be that these guys didn’t fold and panic under a bit of adversity they faced late in the game. They kept calm and confident…no one, except maybe us fans, panicked on the GT sideline. That’s a testament to CBK and all his coaches.

I don’t talk to Zach about football at all. I don’t need to, or even want to know any of those specifics. We talk about life things. There is zero value add from me when it comes to football for him, heck his QB coach is a Heisman winner. The mindset and culture is shifting for GT football, sit back and enjoy what is ahead.